Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 09:08 AM

14,191 posts, read 14,546,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
According to my attorney, we are fine. Just waiting for a letter from the buyers attorney that they are changing their offer to cash and the new negotiated price. The second offer is being allowed to simmer in case this falls through, but the attorney says that it's typical negotiating BS between the two agents and I have nothing to worry about.

I'll be happy to be done with this. I'm just not cut out for this gamesmanship and negotiating and crazy antics I've had to endure.
Typical BS between two agents. I am aghast at this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:11 AM

14,191 posts, read 14,546,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
According to my attorney, we are fine. Just waiting for a letter from the buyers attorney that they are changing their offer to cash and the new negotiated price. The second offer is being allowed to simmer in case this falls through, but the attorney says that it's typical negotiating BS between the two agents and I have nothing to worry about.

I'll be happy to be done with this. I'm just not cut out for this gamesmanship and negotiating and crazy antics I've had to endure.
Stop talking, sending Emails, anything with anyone other then your attorney. It is in the attorneys lap. Zip lip.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,174,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Negotiations in writing?
But, are "negotiations" whether verbal or written or email binding? Not here.

Only the agreement is binding, isn't it?
If I err in writing an offer, or telling my client that something is included and it is OK to go to contract, I cannot unilaterally claw the negotiated terms into the contract later, can I?

We palaver forever, and when it hits the page and is signed by all parties, that contract becomes the governing document for the transaction. Negotiation is just a step toward getting there.
I see some buyers who think they have the sellers' undivided attention because they are "negotiating." Nothing could be further from the truth, and signing off on negotiations would seem to muddy the waters.

All that said, I like email negotiations more than telephone, but the contract rules.
An example for you (let's say I represent the seller):

An offer is received and presented to the seller and we discuss it. The seller comes up with a counter to the offer.

I prepare the counter (easy enough to do with Docusign), get it signed by the seller, and send it to the buyer's agent. If their buyer accepts the counter, it's signed on a nice, clean contract and we move forward.

If the buyer wants to counter the counter, it's done in writing (again, easy enough to do with current technology) and sends the signed (via Docusign) counter to me to present to the seller.

Having, as I said, been bit by an agent who thought it was just fine to negotiate verbally and then not get the paperwork done, and having been advised by my broker and real estate attorneys here both with my broker and with the Texas Real Estate Commission that verbal is worth the paper it's printed on, I just don't do verbal negotiations any longer. Protects everybody, and most importantly protects my client's interests, which is what I'm supposed to do.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 PM

43,020 posts, read 76,529,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
An example for you (let's say I represent the seller):

An offer is received and presented to the seller and we discuss it. The seller comes up with a counter to the offer.

I prepare the counter (easy enough to do with Docusign), get it signed by the seller, and send it to the buyer's agent. If their buyer accepts the counter, it's signed on a nice, clean contract and we move forward.

If the buyer wants to counter the counter, it's done in writing (again, easy enough to do with current technology) and sends the signed (via Docusign) counter to me to present to the seller.

Having, as I said, been bit by an agent who thought it was just fine to negotiate verbally and then not get the paperwork done, and having been advised by my broker and real estate attorneys here both with my broker and with the Texas Real Estate Commission that verbal is worth the paper it's printed on, I just don't do verbal negotiations any longer. Protects everybody, and most importantly protects my client's interests, which is what I'm supposed to do.
Interesting stuff. Always interesting how transactions differ between states, and between regions within states.

I guess some of the differences are found in the fact that we generally do not write or make "counteroffers."
Our negotiations are commonly conversational replies.
I.e., "Sellers' Response to Buyers' Offer."
Non-binding, and therefore somewhat meaningless. More or less a verbal notion put into writing. So generally it is impossible for an agent to burn another agent in a verbal situation.

Our process would be more along the lines of Mr. Buyer's Offer to Purchase is conveyed to the Seller.
If Seller signs it, it becomes the Contract.
If Seller proposes any alternate terms rather than sign, the Offer is rejected, and cannot be clawed back into the transaction.

Mr. Seller's agent calls or emails Mr. Buyer's agent and says, "Thank you for the offer. Mr. Seller is in agreement on giving up the refrigerator, offering the home warranty, at a sales price of $425,000. That is very reasonable, as you can see that comps easily support a price in the $430's.
Your client's offer is appreciated, and we can move ahead with a $425,000 price and the other terms agreeable."
(I do like email, as it makes it harder to misunderstand, but it is not binding between agents as we are not principals.)

Buyer may respond with a thank you, and acceptance, or another price, or walk away. Buyer is bound to nothing.

If accepted, Mr. Buyer's Agent will call or email the listing agent and say, "Mr. Buyer is in agreement at $425,000 and I will get the documents to you ASAP."

Still no binding contract.

So, Mr. SmartandAggressive Buyer's Agent jumps into DocuSign and provides a clean Offer to Purchase to Mr. Buyer, and then to Mr. Seller ASAP.

Since nothing is binding until the contract is signed and signature is communicate to Mr. Seller's agent, we move as quickly as possible to get that Offer sent over. We cannot assume that there are not nibbles from other buyers and their agents.

I see no advantage, IN NORTH CAROLINA, to generating ancillary documents with no material bearing in the transaction. Possibly they would protect me if I erred in carrying out my clients' instructions, but I don't see how they would provide any meaning or materiality between Buyer and Seller in the transaction.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:06 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,833,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

If accepted, Mr. Buyer's Agent will call or email the listing agent and say, "Mr. Buyer is in agreement at $425,000 and I will get the documents to you ASAP."

Still no binding contract.

So, Mr. SmartandAggressive Buyer's Agent jumps into DocuSign and provides a clean Offer to Purchase to Mr. Buyer, and then to Mr. Seller ASAP.

Since nothing is binding until the contract is signed and signature is communicate to Mr. Seller's agent, we move as quickly as possible to get that Offer sent over. We cannot assume that there are not nibbles from other buyers and their agents.

I see no advantage, IN NORTH CAROLINA, to generating ancillary documents with no material bearing in the transaction. Possibly they would protect me if I erred in carrying out my clients' instructions, but I don't see how they would provide any meaning or materiality between Buyer and Seller in the transaction.
Mike like you most of us were taught that it all had to be in writing, signed, dated and delivered.

Lately the attorneys have been teaching that you could a have legal written acceptance by email notification. Most importantly, you could have a misunderstanding and lawsuit if you went back on the written email acceptance.

They've warned against saying "We have an agreement" put it more like "I believe / think we have an agreement but let me get in writing and get to my client."

An email acknowledgement of acceptance could be enforceable.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Mike like you most of us were taught that it all had to be in writing, signed, dated and delivered.

Lately the attorneys have been teaching that you could a have legal written acceptance by email notification. Most importantly, you could have a misunderstanding and lawsuit if you went back on the written email acceptance.

They've warned against saying "We have an agreement" put it more like "I believe / think we have an agreement but let me get in writing and get to my client."

An email acknowledgement of acceptance could be enforceable.
I get your point.

How would negotiations in writing and signed, or not, by the parties contribute to or avoid issues?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:19 PM

410 posts, read 1,288,883 times
I also have been told to be careful with emails because they could be considered enforceable. But verbal over the phone is not.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcater View Post
I also have been told to be careful with emails because they could be considered enforceable. But verbal over the phone is not.
Actually, the way I heard it was that agent to agent emails are not enforceable on the principals.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,097,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Is that not covered under "statue of frauds"? Would it ever be enforceable?
Once the buyer has taken possession a verbal contract is enforcable. But not until then. There is a NJ statute of frauds for real estate
New Jersey Statutes - Title 25 Frauds and Fraudulent Conveyances - 25:1-11 Writing requirement, conveyances of an interest in real estate - New Jersey Attorney Resources - New Jersey Laws
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate