Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 11:53 AM

165 posts, read 329,223 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for some thoughts on our current situation. We just began looking for a new home. I picked a local agent, met with him briefly and he took us to one showing of the house that we found that we are interested in. We have not spent any more time together than that (which has been about 45 minutes total) and we have not signed anything.
Yesterday I was speaking to our lender and they referred me to a different agent. They said we should consider using this agent because she is well versed in the type of loan we are getting. The lender is aware that we have already seen the house with the original agent. I chose the original agent because of his knowledge of the town we are moving to but I don't think he has much experience with our kind of loan which is concerning. Plus if we use the lender-referred agent there are "perks" for us after closing.

I don't want to be rude and just abruptly switch agents but we want to do what we can to ensure a smooth process. Is it common for this to happen? Will I offend the original agent? I need to decide soon as the new agent has already left a message to call her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post
I'm looking for some thoughts on our current situation. We just began looking for a new home. I picked a local agent, met with him briefly and he took us to one showing of the house that we found that we are interested in. We have not spent any more time together than that (which has been about 45 minutes total) and we have not signed anything.
Yesterday I was speaking to our lender and they referred me to a different agent. They said we should consider using this agent because she is well versed in the type of loan we are getting. The lender is aware that we have already seen the house with the original agent. I chose the original agent because of his knowledge of the town we are moving to but I don't think he has much experience with our kind of loan which is concerning. Plus if we use the lender-referred agent there are "perks" for us after closing.

I don't want to be rude and just abruptly switch agents but we want to do what we can to ensure a smooth process. Is it common for this to happen? Will I offend the original agent? I need to decide soon as the new agent has already left a message to call her.
I think you need a new lender. The loan is the lender's job, and should not be dependent on any particular familiarity on the agent's part. If there is specific language or terms to enter into the contract or during negotiations, the lender should be quite capable of guiding the agent how to work it.

Sheesh.
IMO, this smells like old fish.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,860 times
^^

agreed.

just curious, what kind of loan are you going with?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Stick with your first agent. Your lender is out of line here trying to steer business to another agent unless he knows something that he isn't telling you. I hate this kind of crap.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:14 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makolly View Post

I'm curious as to what are the perks. Would you mind sharing?

Not knowing what these perks are, two things raise a red flag with me:

1.) That you are being offered perks to go with this agent (other than the obvious benefit of their knowledge of your loan type)

2.) You spoke with your lender yesterday, and her agent is already calling you. At least give you some time to think about it!

If you had a good experience with the original agent, then at least find out what they do know about the type of loan you're going with. Also, I wouldn't automatically drop that agent just because he's not familiar with the loan.

I don't know - something seems sketchy with this lender/agent relationship.

Editing to Add: Before you switch, find out if you can do this. In some states, you cannot see a home with Agent A and then have Agent B represent you.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:29 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Even though I'm versed in many different loan types and loan programs, I'm not the licensed mortgage person and have no need to be "familiar" with any of the loans. What your lender is saying is a load of crap.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Even though I'm versed in many different loan types and loan programs, I'm not the licensed mortgage person and have no need to be "familiar" with any of the loans. What your lender is saying is a load of crap.
My initial impression was the same but I've been out of the business for ages now, so thought perhaps things had changed with how things are done.

IMO, the lender is acting unethically by offering "perks" for going with the lender she recommends. I would stick with the original agent, and find another loan officer.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,305 times
I agree with the others.. not cool! It's one thing for a lender to refer an agent ( preferably several agents for you to choose from) if they didn't know you had been in contact with someone else. As long as you are good with working with the 1st agent, I would stick with him.

I will say that I know of a couple banks/credit unions that recommend agents and offer kickbacks and the way it works is that the agent is getting the business and the bank gets some kind of benefit ( I was told a cut by one agent, that is hard to believe) and the agent gives the client a rebate. In both cases, the service for the client was marginal at best, they typically work for 1/3-1/2 of what they normally would get. It took forever to get responses, communication back and forth was nonexistent to the detriment of their client, and it was very obvious that they were extremely busy and naturally service may slide if they don't have the proper systems in place. Just something to be aware of.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,860 times
if I'm viewing a home with a client, and there appears to be a defect that might be an issue with the particular type of financing, I will mention it (and follow up with the lender if my client is entertaining moving forward)

other than that, I typically shift loan related questions to the loan officer.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,305 times
I'm scratching my head as to what type of loan would require special experience/knowledge??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate