U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,071,003 times

Advertisements

We are getting close to having the house ready to go on the market. After looking at listings in the region, we've identified two offices that have similar properties.

One is upscale, catering to wealthy buyers. Most but not all of the homes are pricey and in the nearby vacation / tourist towns. Some of those properties would make our place look downright shabby. Our property is nice, but it is not in one of the ritzy zip codes.

The other is one of the offices in our zip code that has a mixed bag of properties, including the dumpier ones in the icky part of town. Our place would probably be on the high end of the offerings from this office.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to listing with either one of these offices? Any recommendations?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 12:07 PM

17,579 posts, read 43,245,218 times
I would never pick an "office". I would pick an agent. And one of the requirements would be that the agent has extensive knowledge of the town I am selling in.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:32 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,456,157 times
To expand on manderly's advice I would strongly recommend making appointments with at least three of agents that are recommended to you through trusted friends that have recently been successful in selling their homes.

The agents should be able to present you with not just a competitive analysis of the likely price to set for your home but also the various strategies the agents are skilled at in marketing your home to the most likely sets of buyers.

A huge percentage of all home buyers rely extensively on high quality online photos, valid info about room sizes, accurate info about schools and easy cross comparisons...

Last edited by chet everett; 11-20-2013 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM

16,400 posts, read 25,150,714 times
Default You pick an agent

For me, three questions for the prospective agent.
1. How many sides have you done in the last 12 months and can you prove it?
2. In the selling process, how many times will I sign a piece of paper? Any number larger than zero is an automatic disqualification.
3. How will you market my house?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:55 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,543,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
For me, three questions for the prospective agent.
1. How many sides have you done in the last 12 months and can you prove it?
2. In the selling process, how many times will I sign a piece of paper? Any number larger than zero is an automatic disqualification.
3. How will you market my house?
i'm assuming you mean a wet signature, vs docusign etc..

Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 PM

7,935 posts, read 10,268,496 times
Quote:
Well, properly scheduled, some papers are downright easy to sign. Plus, when I sell, I'm always happy to sign a deed.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:14 PM

16,400 posts, read 25,150,714 times
Default Still pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Well, properly scheduled, some papers are downright easy to sign. Plus, when I sell, I'm always happy to sign a deed.
I am still pissed that the title company made me sign pieces of paper.
Up until that point, EVERYTHING was electronic.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,543,959 times
Quote:
I am still pissed that the title company made me sign pieces of paper.
Up until that point, EVERYTHING was electronic.
now that lenders are allowed docusign for some documents, it's only a matter of time before title companies can follow suit.. Only thing I think that may always be wet is deed related

Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 PM

29,533 posts, read 20,276,250 times
Choose an agent who has lots of experience with your type of property and tells you upfront that he can sell your house. Then let him tell you how he intends to do so.

Agents these days work more as independent business owners than workers out of a particular offers. Be sure to have a look at their specific websites.

Interview at least three agents.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 AM

400 posts, read 690,003 times
FrugalYankee, I was wondering if you have made a decision on the realtor. My husband is getting ready to put his house on the market and is facing a similar decision after speaking to two realtors, one also catering mostly to vacation/ritzy areas. I posted more about it on another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate