Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,528,609 times

Advertisements

Unless it is a "AS IS" sale I would ask the seller to fix everything and see what he/she is willing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,161,777 times
It is an old house and you should have figured likely needed updating in your offer. Now might be the time to bail out if you are in over your head. These things should have been expected and are not the seller's "fault".

Old 11-25-2013, 09:20 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,318,185 times
The GFCI was not required in 1976. It would only be required if they remodeled and followed code. The ground is a legitimate repair
The WH AC grading gutters requests if I was the seller I would tell you no. If they were broken not working I can see asking for a credit etc but if they work there is no reason for me to drop my price. You want all new stuff with warranty go buy a completely remodeled or new house and that heftier price tag to go all with it

About the only thing you can make him fix is the ground. And most houses back then used a cold water pipe clamp and had no ground rods.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 11-25-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 02:53 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,475,753 times
The only "Code" item mentioned sounds like someone replaced two prong outlets with 3-prong without a ground present.

See this all the time and it is a code violation in my jurisdiction... unless the new outlet offers GFCI.

All the other items are typical of an older... well maintained home.

The reason I say well maintained is because these items still appear to be fully functional...

Buying is a negotiation...

The last older home I sold the buyer came up with a list... like no GFCI, two prong outlets, no safety glass label on the original 1930's french doors... etc.

I offered a $1000 credit and left it at that.

Buyer accepted and my concession let everyone save face...

I also provided a home warranty that covered things like water heater and furnace.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:53 AM

27 posts, read 44,757 times
The whole purpose of the inspection is to uncover any/all conditions that are not readily apparent. It is not unreasonable to ask for these repairs to be made. But it is not always something sellers can or will do. If that is the case than you most likely can walk away from the purchase and get a refund of your deposit money. The age of the mechanicals is in the desclosures which are a requirement here in Ct. but check with your agent to see if it is the case where you are. Any issues that are apparent with out need of inspection like peeling paint, sagging rooflines are usually taken into account in the pricing of the property and most sellers are often not willing to negiotiate over those things.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:12 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,482,574 times
I would probably have an HVAC expert come out to examine that system separately to make sure it is working properly. If it is, then I would not ask for any of that to be replaced.

I would make sure to get a home warranty in case any of the systems fail in the first year.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times
How about asbestos tiles underneath a carpet?can I ask that to be removed?
Or cracks on chimney, handrails?
Basement copper pipes corroded
Gutters clogged
Foundation cracks?

Old 06-14-2016, 03:15 AM

1,185 posts, read 1,493,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
5. At that age, it's only a matter of time before the water heater fails. I had one that lasted almost 30 years -- but when it failed, it was spectacular :-/ Around here, a 40-50 gal. gas water heater, installed by a professional, is about $1200 - $1800.
+1 for replace that water heater asap.

I sold a home that had a 15 year old water heater that literally exploded on the new owners 6 months after they bought the place.

They were at work when it happened. When they returned, they found their entire basement flooded. Caused tens of thousands of dollars of damage.

Always play it safe with those things.

As far as getting the seller to fix those things, just work it into the price. Everything on that list definitely needs to be addressed, and should lower the sale price of the home.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 9 days ago)

19,732 posts, read 20,534,949 times
Stop.
You are buying a used house.
You either buy it or walk away.
The laundry list thing is getting ridiculous with buyers.
If something major is discovered upon inspection then maybe negotiate something or walk away.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:22 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,151,484 times
I realize this is an old thread but buyers can't reasonably expect to get a concession for things that were readily visible before they offered. Find a hidden wart? Sure. Ask for repair or concession. Want a new roof because the existing one is obviously old? Adjust your initial offering price accordingly and let the seller know you're doing so. After inspection? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate