Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:14 PM

72 posts, read 126,359 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that the real estate market was never allowed to bottom out and still has a long way to go down.
And it will continue down as debt deflation continues its relentless process.
Most of the recent market action was driven by investment funds purchasing houses for cash and they have been pulling back out the market for several months now, expecting prices to begin dropping again.
Your best bet, as other posters recommended, is a short sale, if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 PM

3,759 posts, read 5,853,701 times
Wow, I was expecting to see a dump but it is a nice looking house. Love the kitchen and baths. I didn't know there was anything in the SEA-TAC area that cheap. But I am not familiar with the area. You have some good advice here and the best of luck.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
This looks like a very nice house with a few issues (eg; it looks like the rain, etc. must run into the garage/basement; plus it's a little packed with furniture, etc.), but, no immediately apparent show-stopper (however, pictures can be misleading).

After 4-years, you must conclude that something MAJOR is driving-away potential buyers. Price is likely an big issue (another $50K cut is a big deal on a $250K house), otherwise, you would be getting some serious offers. (Your notion that you must get close to what you paid for the house, is also inconsistent with the state of the market and the experience of other sellers, over the last few years).

My second guess is that you have a 'long-term renter problem.' Your renter is probably getting a sweet deal on the rent (probably hasn't increased in 3-years?) ... and really doesn't want to move. --- There are probably a 100 ways that a 'reluctant renter' can subtly discourage potential buyers ... without blatantly and overtly sabotaging the sales process (pets, odors, clutter, decorating, dirt, unkempt house/yard, etc). Have you asked your renter if she/they are interested in buying, perhaps with some owner financing or assistance in coming-up with a suitable down payment? --- You already know that you have a BIG sales problem! -- Honestly; 4-years! It sounds like you have been too willing to settle for a 'Rental-in-lieu-of-Sale!' -

If your Realtor/s are only telling you what you want to hear, you need to find better Realtor/s ... and also, put your existing Realtor/s on the spot. (You aren't by some chance using the same Realtor as both your rental and Sales Agent are you???). Emphatically tell your Realtor/Broker that after 4-years, you KNOW you have a major problem with either the house or the Realtor... and you DEMAND to know exactly what they think it is ... with NO punches pulled! (Don't settle for "the market is slow and we just need a little more time" unless you really don't want to sell).

Last edited by jghorton; 11-26-2013 at 05:50 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 06:22 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Nice looking home! Frankly, I'm surprised the price is too high. I'm also wondering if it could be the renter. Homes don't show well with dirty laundry lying about, crappy furniture (or just too much), cluttered counter-tops, etc. Buyers want to visualize it as being their home, and a home being lived in often doesn't do the trick. (Although I understand the need for some help with the mortgage payment!)

Old 11-26-2013, 10:50 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Ah, forgot about the renter. You have to have him but some rooms could show better.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:15 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
The schools are not very good.
The 2 photos with the red sofa make it appear that grandma lives there.
All the photos need to be re-shot by a pro.

The price seems a tad high in comparison with:
160 E Lake Forest Dr Allyn, WA 98524
Sold on 9/6/13: $210,000

141 E Village View Dr Allyn, WA 98524
Sold on 7/12/11: $201,000

110 E Mountain View Dr Allyn, WA 98524
Sold on 5/31/12: $225,000

This says you need to lower your price.
Attachment 121535

Is there an HOA for the "golf community"?
Two of those homes are less than 10 years old. compared to a 1969 home.

How does your house compare to 81 E Marine View Drive that sold for 175K

How much did you buy it for , 200,000? You've paid off potentially 9 years of principal payments. Your current renter is only covering 75% of the rent. Bascially that 25% you are putting in is principal reduction. I'm not sure why you are even considering a shortsale or other extreme means. Have you checked if your loan is owned by Fannie or Freddie ? If you are able to refinance you could drop your payment probably in the range for 25% depending on your interest rate. Do you want to keep it if you drop the mortgage payment? Do you know what your mortgage balance is, maybe you aren't as upside down as you think.

Based on the low volume of sales, it will be very difficult for your home to appreciate and comp higher. Someone will really need to want your home.

Base just on at the Data , I think it'd go for 200-210k. Sorry for the honesty.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I think it looks pretty nice although I too was confused by the LACK of a photo of the front of the house, full view. I couldn't get a sense of what angle all those exterior photos were taken from (which side? front? back? where?!!).

(I also HATE the kitchen, but I suspect I would be in the minority -- it is WAY too modern looking for my taste. I would take one look at the kitchen and leave.)

The curtains in what looks like the living room are odd ... normally when you use different curtains each side is a mirror image. I guess that's your renters? And OP, rents are really so low that you only get 75% of the mortgage payment?

I do wish you luck -- this is a hard time of year to have a house on the market.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
It is definitely a beautiful house! Like others have said the pictures need to be redone. There are too many outside that make someone as a potential buyer not understand the type of house.

Your house will sell, at a certain price. We went through the same thing (had a short timeline though) and walked away with nothing. However, we don't have a headache. We had to lower the price significantly to get offers. Even then people underbid.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:38 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
The question is how low can you go. Figure that out. Not how low do you want to go but how low can you go even if it hurts.

Get to that price. Take the hit and move on with your life.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
A $30,000 reduction in home price will buy a LOT of gasoline.

At $3.29/gal (current price here) that is comes out to over 9000 gallons.
At 30mpg... that is well over a quarter of a million miles.
They could commute from Groton at that rate.
You are ignoring wear and tear on the car, including depreciation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate