Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM

100 posts, read 213,149 times

Advertisements

We have ahome in WA State in a small town on the peninsula. We purchased the home in2004 and lived in it until May 2010 when my husband took a job out of state. Overthat time we did quite a few large remodels to the house. We placed it on the market in March of 2010and it has been off and on the market since then. We have had a renter in itsince October of 2010; her rent covers 75% of the mortgage. The neighborhood is in a niche area and evenin good times homes sell slowly.

It is to thepoint I almost want to walk away from the house, we have lowered the price by$50K and are within 5K of walking away with nothing, at this point I don't careabout walking away with nothing, I just want to move on and not have thisdragging us down financially anymore.

I could goon listing everything our realtor has tried, we have used two realtors, onesaid she should bring the price down by another $50K (20K less than what webought it for prior to the remodel) and was too lazy to take pictures eventhough she lived a few houses away.

I am at aloss as to what to do and wanted to know if anyone else has some ideas. If anyone wants to see the listing I am happyto send it over to them.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 10:08 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
Unfortunately, you may have to walk away from the home and not break even in this current market. Have you had any reasonable offers yet ?? You might have to talk to the lender about a possible short sale in which the bank might allow you to sell the home for less than what is owed on it.

I feel your pain and hope that you can get it sold without a loss. It is more difficult when you have to rely on a realtor and you are not in the area to followup directly with them on a regular basis.

Keep us updated and hopefully others will offer some additional advice.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeesc View Post

We have a home in WA State in a small town on the peninsula.
We purchased the home in 2004...

I am at a loss as to what to do...

You need to find the 2013 version of you.
What drew you to the peninsula and to that house in particular?

Beyond that perhaps monumental task...
it's completely about having the right price relative to physical condition
and the market as a whole.

iow... cut the price to the bone, lower if need be, take the loss if called for,
and then watch as the mice come out of the woodwork.

hth

Old 11-26-2013, 10:25 AM

134 posts, read 443,964 times
Can you try and get the rent up to 100% of the mortgage at least? Landlords by me can sometimes get 125% of their mortgage payment

Old 11-26-2013, 10:44 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Post the link to your listing, or give us the MLS number to search it, and people will tell you what they think

Old 11-26-2013, 11:17 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,655,631 times
I would try a short sale before walking away.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
I suggest short sale as well. Homes that are in a niche market, homes that are in a bit of a second home/vacation/getaway home area, homes that are greatly improved were hit harder than the hard hit primary regular residences in the bad economy.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Unfortunately, you may have to walk away from thehome and not break even in this current market. Have you had any reasonableoffers yet ?? .

It seems that all the potential buyers have some holdup.

1. Potential buyers just signed a lease and didn't want to pay the money toget out of it. They asked if we could hold the house for them. (Why are youlooking if you just signed a lease?)
2. Potential buyers loved the house however they realized they had to pay tohigh on taxes to pull money out of their 401k for the down payment. (Shouldn'tyou have figured this out first?)
3. Potential buyers again, loved the house, but they were waiting for theirdisability back pay from the Army for the down payment. (That takes forever, Iknow from experience. Again, why are they even looking?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
You might have to talk to the lender about a possible short sale in which the bank might allow you to sell the home for less than what is owed on it.

I will look into the short sale option, I assumed that is when you were just about to go into default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You need to find the 2013 version of you.
What drew you to the peninsula and to that house in particular?
I felt it was the only place that wasn't a dump that we could afford that was near the submarine base when my husband was enlisted. Since the price of gas has gone up most of the people enlisted do not want to take a 40 minute drive to work.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Post the link to your listing, or give us the MLS number to search it, and people will tell you what they think
80 E Village View Dr Allyn, WA 98524 | MLS# 502447 | Coldwell Banker

Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeesc View Post
I felt it was the only place that wasn't a dump that we could afford
that was near the submarine base when my husband was enlisted.
A $30,000 reduction in home price will buy a LOT of gasoline.

At $3.29/gal (current price here) that is comes out to over 9000 gallons.
At 30mpg... that is well over a quarter of a million miles.
They could commute from Groton at that rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate