Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:25 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times

Advertisements

Picture this. It’s 6 P.M. Dinner time. Daddy is going to sear something – I think it was steak tips, can’t really recall. The house has been on the market for about 2 months, or so. Not a lot of lookers; some seemingly interested, some not so much. People showing up from 9AM -5 PM… mostly announced and sometimes not so much. We’d had a few come later than 5, but most of the time, the Realtor would call and let us know.

So, anyways, 6 PM. Got the cast iron Dutch oven with about 1/8 inch of oil in it, getting toasty. I said sear, didn’t I. OK, stir fry, whatever.

DING DONG. The doorbell rings. I put a cover on the pan and walk downstairs. (Split level) Hey! It’s a Realtor! And People! Oh joy!

I explain that I’m in the middle of fixing dinner. They might want to come back tomorrow, as we’re all getting ready to enjoy some family time. That is not what I SAID..of course. For anyone who has ever had a house sit on market for 60+ days..when most homes were selling in 40….well, you gotta show it to sell it , right?

So, the realtor says it will only be “just for a minute”. “Ok, no problem”…says I, as my wife gives me the “You said no one’s gonna come after 5 PM” look.

The people step in.

The fire alarm goes off.

The pot lid begins to shake violently. I dare say, it grinned.

Voluminous smoke begins to belch from the pot….as Daddy races to the kitchen.

Daddy (in his awesome Daddy wisdom) grabs the pot (with pot handles) and tosses it in the sink. Where the lid comes off. The hot grease rejoices with the sound of 10,000 angels as it meets its buddy, Mr. Oxygen. A 2 foot pillar of flame erupts from the sink.

I look downstairs. The lady (wife? girlfriend? I’ll never know?) has a look best described as a catfish, freshly gutted.
The husband has a look of chagrin. It says "I might have liked the house. But. There was that whole “Fire thing” you know."
The Realtor is probably trying to remember this the best she can, to tell the folks down at the office tomorrow. “Ok, make sure they don’t have pans of grease on the burner when doing a showing.” As the other realtors cackle with glee. No.. NO… No way! Yes way! No! YES!

My house smelled like burnt oil for 2 days. And they didn’t buy it.

My question is why?

WHY? GOD WHY?

-------------------------

You just can't make up this type of stuff....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 02:38 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,759,196 times
Because realtors, much like small children and eager pets, have impeccable timing.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:40 PM

270 posts, read 1,361,864 times
I am sure you'll get some grief on here for not turning the stove off. But what I like about the story: a dinner cooking husband! Keep up the good work!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:50 PM

1,408 posts, read 8,024,310 times
Now that story tells me two things: one your wife is very lucky to have a dinner cooking husband and two your stove works very well.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
That's the most common cause of fire stations burning down in the US. You're fortunate that it didn't get worse.

Daddy (in his awesome Daddy wisdom) grabs the pot (with pot handles) and tosses it in the sink. Where the lid comes off. The hot grease rejoices with the sound of 10,000 angels as it meets its buddy, Mr. Oxygen. A 2 foot pillar of flame erupts from the sink. is a priceless description of the event. Thank you for sharing.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,710,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Now that story tells me two things: one your wife is very lucky to have a dinner cooking husband and two your stove works very well.
AND YOUR FIRE ALARMS WORK WELL TOO.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,455,430 times
This is hilarious! Thank you for making my day. I don't get agents that don't call people, common courtesy, but this story was wonderful.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Any agent who violates protocol and makes direct contact with the owner, especially unannounced contact, is not someone I would let in the front door.

What was this agent thinking?

Old 02-13-2008, 12:45 PM

43 posts, read 195,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Picture this. It’s 6 P.M. Dinner time. Daddy is going to sear something – I think it was steak tips, can’t really recall. The house has been on the market for about 2 months, or so. Not a lot of lookers; some seemingly interested, some not so much. People showing up from 9AM -5 PM… mostly announced and sometimes not so much. We’d had a few come later than 5, but most of the time, the Realtor would call and let us know.

So, anyways, 6 PM. Got the cast iron Dutch oven with about 1/8 inch of oil in it, getting toasty. I said sear, didn’t I. OK, stir fry, whatever.

DING DONG. The doorbell rings. I put a cover on the pan and walk downstairs. (Split level) Hey! It’s a Realtor! And People! Oh joy!

I explain that I’m in the middle of fixing dinner. They might want to come back tomorrow, as we’re all getting ready to enjoy some family time. That is not what I SAID..of course. For anyone who has ever had a house sit on market for 60+ days..when most homes were selling in 40….well, you gotta show it to sell it , right?

So, the realtor says it will only be “just for a minute”. “Ok, no problem”…says I, as my wife gives me the “You said no one’s gonna come after 5 PM” look.

The people step in.

The fire alarm goes off.

The pot lid begins to shake violently. I dare say, it grinned.

Voluminous smoke begins to belch from the pot….as Daddy races to the kitchen.

Daddy (in his awesome Daddy wisdom) grabs the pot (with pot handles) and tosses it in the sink. Where the lid comes off. The hot grease rejoices with the sound of 10,000 angels as it meets its buddy, Mr. Oxygen. A 2 foot pillar of flame erupts from the sink.

I look downstairs. The lady (wife? girlfriend? I’ll never know?) has a look best described as a catfish, freshly gutted.
The husband has a look of chagrin. It says "I might have liked the house. But. There was that whole “Fire thing” you know."
The Realtor is probably trying to remember this the best she can, to tell the folks down at the office tomorrow. “Ok, make sure they don’t have pans of grease on the burner when doing a showing.” As the other realtors cackle with glee. No.. NO… No way! Yes way! No! YES!

My house smelled like burnt oil for 2 days. And they didn’t buy it.

My question is why?

WHY? GOD WHY?

-------------------------

You just can't make up this type of stuff....
You have made my day. I have never laughed so hard in my life - you write beautifully. I was getting so frustrated, with our house on the market 4 weeks and not even a nibble. You injected some much needed humor into an otherwise stressful time.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,789,447 times
Red face I'm confused;-0

Is the MORAL of the story that the husband should have brought home 'take out' ???!

p.s.
Something kinda 'fishy' here if you gals NO what I mean !!!!

p.s.s.
I pray that your home sells soon !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate