Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 02:58 PM

69 posts, read 176,495 times

Advertisements

I've been doing quite a bit of research and cannot find the information I'm looking for. My husband and I are looking for land to build on and we've found an 8 acre lot that we like quite a bit. It's part of a platted subdivision. All lots are cleared and a few of the lots have sold, but none have been built on at all. The lots are all 5-8 acres and there's a total of 10 lots I believe. We are hoping to buy the lot soon and then build on it in a few years' time. Land around us is shooting up in price and we aren't really ready to move yet, but we want to secure a place to build on when it's time.

Question- when you build in a community like the one I've described above, how does paying for utility installation work? There is no water (it will be on well water), natural gas lines, or electric (there are power lines running very nearby) currently. I'm assuming by the time we are ready to build, some other people will have built already on neighboring lots so utilities would be closer. However I can't bank on that either. Does the developer pay for the cost of bringing utilities to the area, then split that between residents? Does each resident pay for whatever it takes to get utilities to their own home? I'm thinking if that's the case it sucks to be the first person to build...

Anyone with insight or experience in building in a rural subdivision, please share your experiences!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 03:40 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
What does the land listing say about utilities already in place? The developer should state what's already there. Could be everything or nothing. County/city utilities may only reach to the subdivision via ROW utilidors on adjacent public roads. The utility companies that serve the area should be able to tell you where you have to hook up to.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-29-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 03:53 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,095,136 times
Usually on subdivisions like that, the electric will be at the street. Each lot will have its own box near the road. You will be responsible for the cost to bring it from the box to the house.

Unless a community well is planned you will be responsible for digging your well.

Gas availability varies by area.

If it's rural property not on sewer, you would be responsible for septic installation.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:46 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Ask about the tap fees. You will probably end up paying for all the utilities.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:30 PM

21 posts, read 17,122 times
Any information on the local water table for a well?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:26 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,570 times
My advice is to make sure there is a very detailed road and drainage plan. We bought a house that was built by someone other then the developer of the neighborhood. We were given a signed statement that road would be paved per DOT requirements by developer. We had no clue that meant they would not put any kind of drainage system in. We had to fight to get the developer to fix it after the road started undercutting days after going in. In the end we had to pay 2k as a neighborhood. Something we never considered would become a problem. But the DOT signed off on the **** poor work so we had no way to actually sue the developer.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:31 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
Roads are often the killer in developments. Not finished, poor drainage, not accepted by local government, private so maintained by owners on their dime, etc.

The other issue is getting utilities (electricity, water, sewage, cable, etc) to one's lot.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:33 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Being first in has its advantages, and disadvantages. Many have already been mentioned.

Here's another item of which to be concerned.

At present the "development" is a series of lots of 5-8 acres. You buy a lot and think you are going to have a dozen or so homes around your property, all of which will be on similar lots.

Then the developer goes bust, and the new buyer divides all of the lots in .25 acre lots and puts up 200 tiny little houses. Not at all what you envisioned when you bought.

I bought a lot in a new upscale community. Nice club house and a couple of nice homes already built. Then the developer went bust and the new developer built a bunch of family homes geared to first time buyers with children (who better to use the pool and clubhouse?)

Exit me, at a loss. I built in a more mature community where the character was established and has not materially changed as the final lots are sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate