Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
The OP put in a full price offer. I assume that the price was set by sellers. He offered that price, and now they are backtracking, hoping for more money. I call that greedy, not wanting maximum profit.
You can call it whatever you like but any seller of anything will want to get the highest price possible on what he is selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 04:35 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Not sure why you'd put in a full price offer on a place with no other bids or action for the last 60 days. And at full price, if they're still playing hardball, I'd take my money and run away fast to make them regret even the thought of asking for more. That is unless it's the only house out there that's close to what you want. Doesn't even sound like you're in love with it. Give them the finger.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Not sure why you'd put in a full price offer on a place with no other bids or action for the last 60 days. And at full price, if they're still playing hardball, I'd take my money and run away fast to make them regret even the thought of asking for more. That is unless it's the only house out there that's close to what you want. Doesn't even sound like you're in love with it. Give them the finger.

I thought it would be easy and I wanted a transaction where I wasn't messed around.(Haha, that didn't happen!) The place is in an area with relatively low inventory in that range, and it was well priced. The price was reduced once at the 30 day mark. I had actually toured the property twice before I put in an offer as I was deciding between several options. It was right in the middle of what I wanted to spend, and when we went through the comps it seemed pretty reasonable.

But you are right, they missed the boat. And funny thing, for all these offers, the place hasn't yet shown as under contract on the listing...11am was the cutoff, eh? Seems like they are still waffling.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can call it whatever you like but any seller of anything will want to get the highest price possible on what he is selling.
Of course they want to get as much as they can. I just question their tactics. I would have been totally fine if they countered me. That's normal. But they wasted time and never even responded to the offer. Their agent kept wanting my agent to negotiate without putting anything in writing or even acknowledging that there was an offer pending. And this whole talk of these mysterious other offers came out of nowhere.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
The OP put in a full price offer. I assume that the price was set by sellers. He offered that price, and now they are backtracking, hoping for more money. I call that greedy, not wanting maximum profit.
I don't call that greedy. This is all business. Seller wants highest possible price. Buyer wants lowest possible price. Neither one is wrong or greedy.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I don't call that greedy. This is all business. Seller wants highest possible price. Buyer wants lowest possible price. Neither one is wrong or greedy.
Then the seller should have stuck to the original asking price. Or countered my offer. Not wasted my time only to eventually present some tale about these other offers waiting in the wings. Counter, reject, accept, whatever. Just give me the courtesy of a timely response.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:43 PM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
It is a very common strategy to set a low list price to attempt to fan interest and get multiple offers rolling.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,305 times
I absolutely agree! Seller's loss on this one! As a buyer's agent, I can't stand sellers that pull this crap. I'm glad you have back up options that are just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Then the seller should have stuck to the original asking price. Or countered my offer. Not wasted my time only to eventually present some tale about these other offers waiting in the wings. Counter, reject, accept, whatever. Just give me the courtesy of a timely response.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is a very common strategy to set a low list price to attempt to fan interest and get multiple offers rolling.
It is, but honestly, the place was priced right. It will (maybe) sell for a few thousand more than I put in if there are multiple offers because that's what the market will bear. To me, the attitude of the sellers and their agent was really unappealing. I agree with whatever poster said that if they get a bad vibe during any transaction they walk away.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunBeachFun View Post
As a seller, is there an advantage to doing this? Seems like it works out great for the buyer, but the seller may become emotional this way.
Some still like to do business the old fashion way and appreciate the extra effort.

My Grandfather was like this and had a loyal following over 50 years in sales... his business card to the day he died had his business and work address including home phone number... this was long before the days of cell phones.

He instilled in me if something is important it is worth the extra effort.

Of course the seller could simply say not interested and close the door... it's never happened to me yet.

I still think the young family I mentioned with twins in tow meeting the sellers made the difference.

As to the original poster... I don't know how much you want the property and at what price.

You've spent time getting it this far and I would hate to see you lose it over a misunderstanding...

It's almost like writing a resume... the smart ones go the distance to make sure their resume gets read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate