Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,722,215 times

Advertisements

What is the market like in your area? You paid $ 260,000 two years ago. Has your local market gone up or down ? How does a $ 260,000 house from two years ago go to $ 350,000 this year? Is your local market popping that much ?

Forget about what other homes have been listed for- what are similar homes actually closing at.

Appraisers generally consider above ground pools to be personal property, so your very typical pool basically has no value to an appraiser. The deck is lovely but again cost to improve does not equal dollar for dollar value in the market. In other words, sad to say, your improvements may be not equal what you believe them to be.

As others have suggested, go find current comparable closed sales from the past 2-3 months or no more than 6 months old ( if you can that is ) . Then based on those sales, sit down with a good agent and decide where to list your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:29 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,044,734 times
The most action you are going to get is when you first list it. You want people to see the listing pop up and come see it and make an offer. You don't want it to be just another house that got listed. Price accordingly.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:34 AM

174 posts, read 395,551 times
That deck is phenomenal however, the pool wouldn't be an interest for me if I was looking to buy.

Have your agent do his homework on the list price from closing prices. If it is in fact 360,000 start the list at 359,900. Reason being is people always have a lower and upper parameter the look for when buying, I have found if you list on the 000 mark sometimes it isn't always picked up in the MLS search. You will have the most interest within the first 30 days of the listing. After 30 days have a 15k price reduction on the house every 30 days until it is sold or you don't feel comfortable lowering it anymore (Your 300k mark). This way it makes sure you aren't leaving anything on the table, as you have hit every potential buyers price point during the price reductions, to make sure it has been marketed to the most amount of people.

This strategy doesn't always work, but for your case it would, because it sounds like you have equity to do it.

Just my opinion...

-Trent

Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,327,026 times
There is no reason to wait to list it. List it now, assuming it's "showable". I don't know about Quebec, but here in the US (depending in what city you are in of course), home prices have not exactly risen or held steady the last few years, despite what is written by realtors. They have generally gone down. Having sold many a home myself (including a condo that I eventually sold on an ebay ad, of all places, and I sold it to a Canadian), the best thing you can do is list that thing anywhere and everywhere, and do not turn down any serious and reasonable offer, even if it means a loss. I think that's the mantra: never turn down a serious offer. Creative help w/ financing can help too, including cash back to the buyer at closing. Don't expect your realtor to "sell" it. Some of the best simply list it and let the others come to them. Of course, realtors prefer to list things low in order to get a quicker sale, so you'll have to use your own judgement when it comes to the listing price. There's a buyer for every home, but not at every price.

Last edited by smarino; 12-17-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,347,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
We're expats and moving back home, we hate it here and there are inadequate services for our disabled child.

Move and sell for going rate. Don't leave money on the table. Desperate means you WILL be taken advantage of and have your time wasted and placed between a rock and hard place.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,197,864 times
Quote:
We just want to break even.
^^^ this has norhing to do with the market value of your home.

If you want to sell fast double the commission, nothing talks like money in a realtors pocket (afterall, it's them that has to bring the buyers). I had a listing once and the seller asked me to double it to sell it fast ~ we had multiple offers in a couple of days.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,778,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
In a hurry to sell. In Quebec. It's December.
Those of you advising to get rid of the pool... really?
How much does that cost to heat in the cold? Turn it into an ice ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
^^^ this has norhing to do with the market value of your home.

If you want to sell fast double the commission, nothing talks like money in a realtors pocket (afterall, it's them that has to bring the buyers). I had a listing once and the seller asked me to double it to sell it fast ~ we had multiple offers in a couple of days.
Make them brave the cold.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:37 PM

8,537 posts, read 13,949,182 times
I'll never understand why having a pool is so popular in Canada. Here in New England pools are usually looked at as a negative because the expense and risk involved in having one is not typically viewed as "worth it" since the pool will only be used a short part of the year.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,645,833 times
Quote:
It's -30C right now with storms through the next week, nobody's leaving the house anytime soon lol
I guess I can't complain about New York/New England winters anymore.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:28 AM

26,799 posts, read 37,807,666 times
Pools are a definite plus in Quebec. I live three hours west of Aliss with the exact same climate and 80% of the houses in my neighbourhood have pools. Viewed from Google Earth it looks like the San Fernanado Valley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate