Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 05:37 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times

Advertisements

As I'm prepping this house to go on the market, I'm reminded of all the funny stories home shopping.

Yes, all these visits were notified well in advance!

~ Grown man's underwear all over the floor, bed not made, with a sad explanation that his buddy's wife kicked him out and he was crashing there. In the same home, he had homemade cut out a 60-inch TV portion of the wall between the living room and master bedroom, and attached the TV inside on a swivel so he could have it in either room

~ A home where the homeowner followed us around to every room talking about how awesome the 7 bedrooms were (they were all empty, too).

~ A home where the wood floor was water-damage warped like a skatepark and the homeowner kept telling us to look at the beautiful ceiling.

~ A home where the homeowner greeted us and advised us that he wouldn't take a penny under asking, so not to bother if we were going to try any less.

I'm sure you all have some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
he had homemade cut out a 60-inch TV portion of the wall between the living room and master bedroom, and attached the TV inside on a swivel so he could have it in either room
Sounds awesome.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:01 AM

104 posts, read 290,509 times
well as a seller the best i got is "the house is perfect, it is exactly what we are looking for, but…….. it faces the wrong direction, and that is a deal breaker"
what the heck am i supposed to do with that one? google earth/maps people!

Old 12-18-2013, 06:04 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,422,618 times
Toured a home with drop ceiling, wood panelling and linoleum, every room. Owner claimed "maintenance free". Could have cleaned the place with a squeegee.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 AM

279 posts, read 544,823 times
I viewed a home that was occupied by a renter. The renter was home and greeted us at the door. She failed to mention there was a 10 year old girl sleeping in one of the bedrooms upstairs. It freaked me out when I found her in the bed.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM

122 posts, read 306,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
well as a seller the best i got is "the house is perfect, it is exactly what we are looking for, but…….. it faces the wrong direction, and that is a deal breaker"
what the heck am i supposed to do with that one? google earth/maps people!
I saw someone on House Hunters this weekend who had a thing about the direction of the home. It was so bizarre and the way his wife was reacting, I assumed it was a complaint that was encouraged by a producer. But I guess it takes all kinds.

As a buyer:
- I have been to several homes where the bed isn't even made. Maybe I'm expecting a little too much, but if you can't be bothered to make your bed when you are asking someone for hundreds of thousands of dollars, I begin to wonder what else you neglected as a homeowner. I don't care if the house isn't immaculate, but for goodness sakes people, at least throw the covers up on your bed if you are showing.
- Worst home I saw had obvious water damage and visible mold crawling up the walls in the basement. Nothing on the disclosures. Zero effort was made to even clean it up. But the owner was very proud of his new kitchen. The listing agent followed up with my buyer's agent for about a month after I visited. I was his only showing since he had been on the market.
- I recently visited a home that was an absolute sty (dirty clothes, dirty dishes, a ferret as a pet who left droppings all over the floor), had no cosmetic updates since the early 80s, and all the mechanicals were 15+ years old and had shown no signs of service. Yet in the basement was probably the most decadent sauna I have ever seen in a residence. It was enormous. I was thinking that it was an odd place to spend your improvement money!

As a seller:
- I got the typical HGTV crowd complaints about how I didn't have the right wall color/dark enough floors/open floorplan/whatever perfect trend they expect these days
- I pulled out a subzero fridge and put it in storage before listing, replaced it with a decent GE Profile. I left my Viking range behind because I really didn't like it and it made the house show as really high end. I had one showing where the feedback was "Great fridge, but my client is concerned about the low grade range". Huh? It's a $5500 range. I'm sure the client only eats take out any way.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 AM

866 posts, read 2,629,670 times
As a buyer, I once went and looked at a house where the seller was present, sitting on his couch the entire time. And the upstairs of his house had piles of cat and dog poop everywhere. It smelled awful. My realtor and I ran out of there as fast as we could.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:56 AM

165 posts, read 329,494 times
We've seen a few memorable homes over the years.

One house was clean overall and the kitchen sink was originally white but was so gross and discolored it looked like they let their kid color it with crayons. Very strange. In the same house the master bath had carpeting and it was clearly stained and smelled of urine. Gross!

Another house we happened to drive by during an open house so we went in for a look. It was very cluttered and in the tub was a big clump of hair in the drain. Needless to say we left as fast as we could. Ick.

Strangest of all was the house we saw where the mom and kids were home. As we're looking around she tells us her 9 year old son is in the shower, but go ahead into the bathroom anyway...he doesn't care. Um....NO. Inappropriate much?? Who in their right mind would say to total strangers (or anyone for that matter) my kid is naked in the shower but go in anyway.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,402,645 times
the one where the tenant showed us around a small acreage and actually a cute little house (needed work) and when we got to one side of the front yard, pot plants growing all over the place in containers.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:51 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
That thing with the direction of the home is not so unusual. It's sort of a cultural thing for some ethnic groups. The belief is based in feng shui. To have the ying-yang energy flow optimally, the house has to be sitting in the right direction.

I have no idea how to figure that out. However, whatever house you're selling or trying to buy will surely be in the wrong direction ! Murphy's law in operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate