Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2008, 08:54 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Nope and, it will probably be awhile. Up to 3 months is apparently standard with these short sales ...
3 months! Wow...you would think they would want that house off the books! Makes it hard when you are selling and need to get into something else...I am keeping my fingers crossed and sending good thoughts your way..

'Might' have someone coming to look at the house today...we cleaned and primped for hours on Friday, a couple who looked last week were going to come back..never heard from them...Our agent was waiting to hear from their agent, you know how it goes....our agent can only do so much, follow up and that stuff, he can't make someone write an offer, I guess. Anyway, makes me mad that we go to all that work, on the other hand the house is darn clean! Will do a little light picking up and vacuum today, just in case. Might go out and sweep and hose the front courtyard, wind blew yesterday..roses need trimmed and some weeds pulled. Will keep me busy and not mad Have a great day my friend..Barb

Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
lowball is below comp. but to decline to do a counter when buyer hit FMV comp offer i think is cheeky of a seller. banks here play this game hoping for the fruits of greedy competition to kick in, aka highballing.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:00 AM

57 posts, read 179,476 times
Lowball, Highball whatever!!!! if you arer in a situation weather a seller/buyer where you can wait and it won't affect you financially then you have options. My theory is Try and Fell or Fell to Try with that said I will put in a offer on a house that's below 30%-50% what they are asking if they don't except I will walk away buttom line.

My question to anyone I heard if it's a forclosure/bankown most of the time the bank won't negioate the price because the house has already been marked down, it's the final price. Also why do short sales take so long to close and it can be very diificult to get?

Last edited by VirginiaGirl1; 04-27-2008 at 11:20 AM..

Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
'Might' have someone coming to look at the house today...we cleaned and primped for hours on Friday, a couple who looked last week were going to come back..never heard from them...Our agent was waiting to hear from their agent, you know how it goes....our agent can only do so much, follow up and that stuff, he can't make someone write an offer, I guess. Anyway, makes me mad that we go to all that work, on the other hand the house is darn clean! Will do a little light picking up and vacuum today, just in case. Might go out and sweep and hose the front courtyard, wind blew yesterday..roses need trimmed and some weeds pulled. Will keep me busy and not mad Have a great day my friend..Barb
Wow ... I didn't realize you were trying to sell right now. I know what a pain it is to try to show and sell a house when you're still living in it. Best of luck to you ... keeping my fingers crossed for you also.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:38 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Wow ... I didn't realize you were trying to sell right now. I know what a pain it is to try to show and sell a house when you're still living in it. Best of luck to you ... keeping my fingers crossed for you also.

Hi Sheri, thanks for the good luck and wishes...I just have this feeling we are close to getting that offer. Our agent brought a couple by this morning, thank goodness it was clean! Anyway, again, they LOVE it, he's going to see if they will write a contigent offer, they have a house in Salt Lake to sell, also have a 2nd home in a smaller development here...they said if they did that they would have first right if we got another offer, so they must be thinking about it anyway. We'll do a contingent, our agent said they don't appear to need to sell those homes to buy this one, he knows more than us..and they are his clients so he has to keep some stuff close to the vest after all...so we will see...we certainly are not even hoping or counting on this couple at all...at least it's getting looked at. Now I am going to take a little nap..I have been up since 4 a.m. I just don't sleep well anymore... over and out..

Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored View Post
In 2 years I could buy that 25k car for 10k..
But in 2 years that 400k house will be 420k..

So just offer whatever you want to offer, if the seller chooses to ignore you and not counter then just move to the next house. There are way more sellers than buyers, even if the house is priced right. The price is what anyone is willing to pay now, not tomorrow, not yesterday now.

No such thing as a lowball offer.. It doesn't hurt to try, and if the seller gets offended.. So? Do Sellers care buyers get offended when they don't bother to counter? Smart sellers will negotiate with any buyer.
I disagree completely. Sure, you can offer whatever you want, but why waste your time, the seller's time, and both agents' time? Why offer just for the sake of making an offer, if you know you are way below market? Have you ever personally sold a house? Sounds like the answer is a resounding.... NO.

Smart buyers will not waste everyone's time with rediculous offers.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:16 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I disagree completely. Sure, you can offer whatever you want, but why waste your time, the seller's time, and both agents' time? Why offer just for the sake of making an offer, if you know you are way below market? Have you ever personally sold a house? Sounds like the answer is a resounding.... NO.

I completely agree. Why waste everyone's time with a ridiculous offer? People who do this are the same people when they get ready to sell want to list their own home too high and then gripe and whine when they get low offers.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

I agree. I also wonder if people who are saying this are actually making offers because ... you do have to put down a $1-$2K deposit when you're submitting an offer.

Are these people really making offers? Plunking down thousand dollar deposits everywhere lowballing every property they see? I seriously doubt it ...

Even though you do get the money back eventually, it seems like a pretty silly approach and not very practical ... unless you have a ton of cash on hand and like to tie it up with useless bids.

I bid $50K below asking price because I knew the bank had already received two offers in that price range and, at this point, they are more likely to go ahead with a lower price since the previous higher bid fell through.

But I would not have put down the $2K deposit if I didn't think I'd have a good chance of getting it at the price. I guess I could have really low balled and bid $100K lower but ... why tie up my cash with a ridiculously low offer that won't go anywhere ... when I could be bidding on something else with that same deposit money?

Last edited by sheri257; 04-27-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 PM

57 posts, read 179,476 times
[quote=sheri257;3591404]I bid $50K below asking price because I knew the bank had already received two offers in that price range and, at this point, they are more likely to go ahead with a lower price since the previous higher bid fell through.
But I would not have put down the $2K deposit if I didn't think I'd have a good chance of getting it at the price. I guess I could have low balled and bid $100K lower but ... why tie up my cash with a ridiculously low offer that won't go anywhere ... when I could be bidding on something else with that same deposit money?

What if your bid was 60k or even 55k and the bank excepted it then you would have came out paying 5-10k lesser than you excepted but who knows right.!!! you say it's not lowballing but who's to say 50k wasn't a lowball? noone knows the correct number to call it a lowball. Again I say be realistic do what ever you feel your in the drivers seat. Some of you people say I'm not going to waste my time lowballing, Why offend anyone, lowballing is a slape in the face, etc,etc but if you can get a house for 30-50% off everyone on here would take it. EVERYONE!!!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaGirl1 View Post
What if your bid was 60k or even 55k and the bank excepted it then you would have came out paying 5-10k lesser than you excepted but who knows right.!!! you say it's not lowballing but who's to say 50k wasn't a lowball? noone knows the correct number to call it a lowball. Again I say be realistic do what ever you feel your in the drivers seat. Some of you people say I'm not going to waste my time lowballing, Why offend anyone, lowballing is a slape in the face, etc,etc but if you can get a house for 30-50% off everyone on here would take it. EVERYONE!!!!!
People need to put their money where their mouth is ... otherwise, this is all just mental masturbation.

Again, I ask ... how many offers have you actually submitted? Did you put down a $1-$2K deposit for each of these offers? Because that's what it takes to actually bid on a home ... especially when you're dealing with the banks.

Do you have the cash to submit multiple offers with multiple deposits? If not ... are you willing to wait up to 30 days to get your money back ... or, even up to three months if it's a short sale/foreclosure?

Yeah ... 50K less was a lowball bid but, it was a reasonable low ball bid because that's what was offered before. I wouldn't tie up $2K of my cash for up to three months if I thought I didn't have a chance.

But I wasn't going to nickle and dime the bank over an extra 5-10K either because I know that what I'm bidding is an excellent price. That's also why I didn't try to get the bank to pay closing costs or anything else for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate