Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
........... I think having that monthly check on time on time for over ten years is worth a little elbow grease.
That's all well and fine if your human pigs stay for 10 years. But it is not unusual for tenants to only stay for one year. It's kinda tough to have to do $10,000 worth of repairs for one year's rent.

The big problem with slobs is that they don't slob around for the first month and then leave the house in that condition. For every month that they stay, they add an additional month's dirt and damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I have a friend with a management company and his lease states they will replace the AC filter monthly - all for the purpose of watching the condition of the home.
I surely do not expect to get back into rentals. But if I do that will be in the lease. Really great idea.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
I surely do not expect to get back into rentals. But if I do that will be in the lease. Really great idea.
And wonder why your tenants always leave after the lease is up...

This would drive me away. Well, I'd be smart enough not to sign the lease in the first place.

How'd you like it if someone came to inspect how you were living every month? Yikes.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:46 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usermi View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure my lease agreement contains something to protect me against this type of tenant, I haven't had a chance to read it since I'm rehabbing another property plus a full time job, this weekend I'll sit down and see what I have.
Someone else already commented on this, but I want to emphasize this is a major issue. You signed a lease with a tenant and don't know for sure what it says. Furthermore, the tenant has been there for a month and you still don't know what it says.

I can tell you every single clause in my lease. I'm pretty sure I could sit here and type a summary of the entire lease (what each clause intends, if not the actual verbiage) without referring to a paper copy. When I sign a lease with a tenant, I do it upside down, and the only thing I look at on the paper is enough to make sure I'm telling them the right clause at the right time. For example, I can look down, see the word "utilities" and tell them everything they need to know/everything the lease says about utilities. After that, the next section is "yard", and so on. As my boss always says "don't summarize if you don't know what the actual wording says". If you can't explain the clause without looking at it, you shouldn't summarize. I summarize everything. If the tenant asks a follow up question, I know whether the answer is in the lease or not, and where and what it says.

I can also tell you at least the topics that are covered in the landlord/tenant guidelines for my state, as I keep a copy on my desk, and refer to them at least once a month for something or another. I don't know them quite as precisely as my lease, but I know where to find what I need, and have a working knowledge of what most of the guidelines say.

If you are going to be a successful landlord, you need to get to that point. If you don't have the time or inclination to get to that point, hire a property manager to do it for you.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
And wonder why your tenants always leave after the lease is up...

This would drive me away. Well, I'd be smart enough not to sign the lease in the first place.

How'd you like it if someone came to inspect how you were living every month? Yikes.
I understand your point. I could see coming to the good tenants door with the filters and asking "Do you want me to put them in?" Others I would say" I am here to put the filters in."
As I said I am not planning on EVER having another rental property. Some tenants are great and deserve respect. Unfortunately others not so.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Some tenants are great and deserve respect. Unfortunately others not so.
Understatement of the year!!

Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usermi View Post
I have to go back to give them a form to sign so I'll take the chance to ask to use the restroom and see if they have cleaned it and I'll take photos.
I think this is beyond invasive of their privacy.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you're pretty much stuck here.

- You'd have a tough time evicting on the grounds of an omission on a rental application, especially if that omission was voluntarily relayed to you by the tenant. They could easily take the position that they were telling you because they knew they forgot to include it in the application. Either way, very little chance a judge would accept that as grounds for eviction at this point. Second, why did your screening not catch this? It's possible that they may have been served a pay or quit notice and mistaken that for a legal eviction.

- Lease provisions mandating cleanliness (or any other subjective criteria) and tough to enforce due to their subjective nature. It would take an extreme case and I'm not sure if this rises to that level yet.

I would simply call them or send them a letter expressing your concerns and ask what they plan to do to keep the house cleaner.
Today, a unit was shown to prospective tenants. Rooms were neat but the bathroom and kitchen are disgusting. Everything in the unit was brand new brand new when they moved in, so you can really see it.

I understand cleanliness is subjective, but to what point? I've seen dirty, I've seen filthy...and these two rooms were filthy. It really doesn't look like any surface in these two rooms has been cleaned since the group of 4 moved in in September.

Another issue, that we knew about and already addressed with the tenants, is that they are smoking inside the residence. No signs of ciggs today, but I do have a picture that was taken as proof that they are smoking inside - maybe a month or so ago. They were asked to stop, obviously haven't. The entire unit smelled like smoke today.

I'm not going to evict, they are moving out at the end of May. I don't feel it would be worth it.

If I write them a letter telling them that they need to clean the bathroom & kitchen, as they are not living up to the clause in the lease that states they must maintain the cleanliness of the unit, what is their incentive to do so? What type of incentive could I give them if cleanliness is subjective? I'll give them 7 days and then we'll schedule a walk through?

If I tell them the approximate rate that the cleaning service I use will charge them to get the bath/kitchen back to how they were "given" it, could that perhaps be their incentive? Or could that be seen as "harassment"?

Same with the smoking issue. I know what my painter charged to paint the entire unit back in August, and with how badly the unit smells right now, I can't see another way to get the odor out.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:04 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

If I tell them the approximate rate that the cleaning service I use will charge them to get the bath/kitchen back to how they were "given" it, could that perhaps be their incentive? Or could that be seen as "harassment"?

Same with the smoking issue. I know what my painter charged to paint the entire unit back in August, and with how badly the unit smells right now, I can't see another way to get the odor out.
When you gave it to them, it wasn't lived in. They can't be expected to keep their HOME in a perpetual state of "un lived in". Is there a no smoking clause in your lease?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,630,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie Girl View Post
Not necessarily true. One of my criteria for prospective tenants is how they keep their car. If they show up to view my available rental and their car is littered with trash (fast food wrappers, empty water bottles, lots of various papers/bags/etc.) or the outside of the car is excessively dirty, I will not rent to them. It's a good indicator of how they will maintain my unit. If they keep their car (that they own) that gross, I don't want to imagine what they'll do to my property (which they don't own).
Again, it can be, but not necessarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate