Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:34 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,770,654 times

Advertisements

To market my 2,750f2/3b/1.75ba vs smaller, yet more expensive comps that have 4 beds, does it make sense to call mine a "3 Bedroom + Office", as I recently finished the basement & created a family office (although it could be used for anything), as well as the traditional basement family room.

My thinking is that many people are really only looking for 3 Bedrooms, but want a 4th space as an office/art studio/sewing/music room?

Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?

- Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 05:37 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,237,826 times
To qualify as a bedroom here, it has to have a window and a closet.

Does yours?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,430,159 times
In my area it doesn't need to have a closet to be called a bedroom. It does need to have a window that meets ingress/egress codes for safety reasons. That said, it many places the "bedroom" police are not going to pop into a house to make sure someone is not using a basement room as a bedroom.

Typical basement windows don't meet this code. That does not prevent you from advertising it as an office though. I recommend you do so.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:50 AM

43,509 posts, read 77,518,538 times
If it qualifies as a bedroom, advertise it as a bedroom.
Maximize legitimate bedroom count.

People will search for "3+ bedrooms," and it will turn up for them.
You also want it to turn up in the "4+ bedroom" searches, which it will not if you limit it to 3 bedrooms.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:00 AM

40,998 posts, read 49,430,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If it qualifies as a bedroom, advertise it as a bedroom.
Maximize legitimate bedroom count.
Agreed. Put a note in the listing that 4th bedroom makes a great office, game room, etc.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,977,919 times
We looked for 4 bedroom houses planning to have one as an office until we had too many kids. As others stated, I wouldn't limit yourself to 3 bedrooms on the listing.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,852 posts, read 81,862,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
In my area it doesn't need to have a closet to be called a bedroom. It does need to have a window that meets ingress/egress codes for safety reasons. That said, it many places the "bedroom" police are not going to pop into a house to make sure someone is not using a basement room as a bedroom.

Typical basement windows don't meet this code. That does not prevent you from advertising it as an office though. I recommend you do so.
Realtors will not advertise it as 4 bedrooms without the closet and window. For the best possible resale value I would install a window and closet, so that it could be advertised as a 4 bedroom, and add a note that the 4th BR could be used as an office or game room.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM

28,722 posts, read 18,947,211 times
In my jurisdiction, a room becomes a "bedroom" if it has a closet, but if it's in the basement it had also better have an egress window. If the work is done properly with a permit pulled and an inspection done, the inspector will not approve a basement room that has a closet (making it a bedroom) without an egress window. The inspectors in my area are fairly laid back on most things, but for whatever reason, they're LASER-targeted on the egress window issue.

I installed an egress window into my basement when I finished it a few years ago even though I did not have a room with a closet...I left that as an open option that my Realtor has been sure to point out to prospects now that I'm selling the house.

If the room is code-legal in your area as a bedroom, list it as a bedroom. As has been said, that's how people will search for home offices-capable rooms in the online listings because "# of bedrooms" is a reliable search criterion.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 AM

6,855 posts, read 11,643,152 times
I say list as many bedrooms as possible, but be sure agent states that the 4th bedroom could also be used as office, etc. as someone above mentioned. My story: I was selling my 3 bedroom home. There was a house up the street with the same floorplan also for sale. The area that in my house was a formal dining room had been finished off in the other house as a bedroom with a door and a closet, and that house was listed in the MLS as a 4 bedroom. (Of course, it made for an odd floorplan because you had to go across to the other side of the house for the bathroom, but that's another story). Young couple is looking for houses, tells realtor they want a 4 bedroom. So her MLS search brings up the 4 bedroom up the street but not mine, of course. When they get to that house, husband looks at dining room/bedroom and says, "This would make a great office." Turns out they really wanted 3 bedrooms and an office. Realtor was familiar with my house and says, "Let's look at the house down the street. It's cheaper and has nicer finishes." They end up buying mine. They would never have looked at mine if the agent didn't know about it personally.

People can always buy more bedrooms than they need (I've got 5 right now, and it's just Mr. Dokie and myself), but they aren't going to waste their time looking at less than what they want.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:12 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,472,585 times
A small point--most people and tax assessors view below grade rooms as being much less valuable than those above grade, and many people dislike working, etc, in most basements. So I would be careful to conform to the norms for describing the room in your area, or be prepared for showings resulting in negative feedback. Also I would not call it a potential art studio because those typically require a LOT of light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate