Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
As much as I like the flags, I think they'd have to go - they make the whole thing into more of a statement.
Yes, I'd get rid of the flags, too. Just keep the natural look--and the cairns seems to fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Get rid of them. Basically, the buyer is going to be wondering how hard is it to get rid of them. If it is an elderly couple they would have to pay someone.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:43 AM

98 posts, read 236,276 times
I would remove them and the flags. They look religious to me, and I think anything personal should be removed prior to listing.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
It depends on your area, really. You say that such kinds of things that might be considered odd elsewhere are common in your area, and so I'd say leave them, as for someone moving into that kind of area, they could very well be a plus. Especially since they are so easily dismantled if the buyer doesn't like them.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:41 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I would CAREFULLY dismantle them. Don't interrupt the Ki. Many places use them to direct the flow of harmony, especially around an energy vortex. But these things are not well understood in the western world, and even less appreciated for the powers which they hold.
The rest of your post is right on track, but this part is just silly.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
They would not bother me, but it's possible that they might bother someone.

There isn't anyone who will refuse to buy because you don't have cairn stones, but there might be someone who refuses to buy because they don't want them, or don't understand them, or don't want the work of removing them.

Balance the options out, it is slightly better to remove them.

If you like them, box them up and rebuild them at your new residence.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:31 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
My son built them on a whim after returning from a long trip to Asia. They have no basis for protection that I can imagine.
I would take them down. If it was just your son who built them, then they really have no historical significance, and they could turn some people off. Other people may be delighted by them, up until they hear that they were just made by your son in the not so distant past.

EDIT: Additionally, they look like they could be easily toppled, which may turn off buyers who have young children at home.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:31 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
I would take them down. If it was just your son who built them, then they really have no historical significance, and they could turn some people off. Other people may be delighted by them, up until they hear that they were just made by your son in the not so distant past.

EDIT: Additionally, they look like they could be easily toppled, which may turn off buyers who have young children at home.
That occurred to me as well. The large one on the lawn in particular. The lowest rocks are VERY heavy. All it would take to "get rid of" the other ones is to just push them over. The rocks to build them all came from within about a 5 foot radius. They will then return to the earth as a reminder of our insignificance in the face of eternal change.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:17 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
The rest of your post is right on track, but this part is just silly.

That is exactly why they should be taken down. Many people, including apparently you, don't understand the significance of them.

Ever see the prayer flags they put up in Nepal, and up the Mountain toward the top of Everest? To you they are just rags. To the people who put them there they are very significant, and the placers would never think about setting foot on the mountain without them.

No sense pizzing off the gods if you can otherwise be gentle with their gift.

You go to church on Sunday? And pray to a stupid wood cross on the alter?

Same thing.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:21 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,815,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
That is exactly why they should be taken down. Many people, including apparently you, don't understand the significance of them.
The significance of them is that the OP's son built them on a whim after he came home from a trip to Asia. In this case, I don't think they have quite the meaning you think they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate