Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times

Advertisements

So we found a home we're looking to make an offer on. Really like the overall feel and great bones, great location, etc. Price is currently about $50k-$85k too high from Asking Price based on 3-6 month comps. Now on the market 2 weeks.

Beyond the comps, the missing elements that we're not crazy about is the lack of central air and a shared driveway with a 2 car 'shared' garage and needs some, not a ton, of updating. Next door neighbor gets one side of garage and we get the other. Hopefully, that's not too much of a mess?

The comps in the other homes do have both private garage and central air and are pretty much updated - although to be fair I'm only making that comparison based on Zillow photos. What would you consider a fair 'deduction' from the comps, if any based on my situation?

Also, if the initial offer falls within comps with our 10% below AP offer, would you consider this in the "low balling" arena if you were the seller? Appreciate your advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 05:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
Why not make an offer on some of the other properties that have the features you're looking for, instead of trying to figure out the proper price of this one?

You're not using Zillow as your valuator, are you? Zillow notoriously under-values homes.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
Why not make an offer on some of the other properties that have the features you're looking for, instead of trying to figure out the proper price of this one?

You're not using Zillow as your valuator, are you? Zillow notoriously under-values homes.

we've been looking for homes for the last 2 months. Poor Weather unfortunately sort of slowed the market down as snowfall can kill much of the curb appeal. There just simply hasn't been much inventory in the areas we are looking at. Looking at last year's inventory pool of sold homes there seem to have been a bigger pool of options.

So with that in mind, this is the only one so far, that we can see ourselves living in. And no, I use Zillow as a tool but not as the main source of info. The comps I have are based on homes sold 3-6 months ago. In this type of neighborhood, so 2 homes are exactly alike, unless it's on a given street.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,329 times
offer them what you think the house is worth for you.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
offer them what you think the house is worth for you.
Exactly. No one is going to be able to tell you how to deduct for each item you find to be less than perfect.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Exactly. No one is going to be able to tell you how to deduct for each item you find to be less than perfect.
Agreed. Worst they can do is say no.

It might help if you include info on the comps you used to make your decision.

That sort of info is better presented by a realtor.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:11 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Just a suspicion......They owe more than the home is worth. They don't want to accept that a short sale is in their future. Unfortunately, you're going to be the messenger. Make your offer and when it's rejected, play nice. Ask your Realtor to deliver a note to the seller via their agent. In your note, tell them you really like their home, but at this time you can't justify paying their list price. If by chance, they find themselves in the short sale market and you're still looking, to please have their agent get in touch w/ yours. Of course, only do this if you really want that house and are willing to wait it out. Otherwise, move on. Getting the homeowner to accept their fate isn't something that can be forced - they have to work thru it in their own way.

Now, if I am way off and they're just being unreasonable, you can try the same tactic, just leave out the empathy and blame it on your budget. I'm finding people that get personable, addressing sellers directly are winning the contracts. One of mine, last night, was accepted just because the seller was a veteran selling to a Iraq disabled vet.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Just a suspicion......They owe more than the home is worth. They don't want to accept that a short sale is in their future. Unfortunately, you're going to be the messenger. Make your offer and when it's rejected, play nice. Ask your Realtor to deliver a note to the seller via their agent. In your note, tell them you really like their home, but at this time you can't justify paying their list price. If by chance, they find themselves in the short sale market and you're still looking, to please have their agent get in touch w/ yours. Of course, only do this if you really want that house and are willing to wait it out. Otherwise, move on. Getting the homeowner to accept their fate isn't something that can be forced - they have to work thru it in their own way.

Now, if I am way off and they're just being unreasonable, you can try the same tactic, just leave out the empathy and blame it on your budget. I'm finding people that get personable, addressing sellers directly are winning the contracts. One of mine, last night, was accepted just because the seller was a veteran selling to a Iraq disabled vet.
SM, I think you usually give great advice IMO. As it turns out thanks to CD, and the thread about 'disclosures', we realized the home was not lived in. Asked the agent directly and she didnt know of anything bad having happened in the home. Well, thanks to Property Shark, put in the address and found the name of the homeowners. Then googled a bit more. As it turns out, the husband passed away four years ago...pretty young at 57, RIP. So this home is likely more of an estate sale or the wife that just wants to move on. So to your point SM, I think if we had our realtor inform the listing agent more about our young family they may also be incline with our situation --family of 5 that lost their home in a fire last summer

Old 04-03-2011, 07:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Instead of a letter relating a lot of personal information while at the same time assuming you know personal details about the seller, your agent should include a cover letter that describes good comps and their sales prices for the past few months, briefly comparing them in a narrative paragraph that concludes with why you believe your offer is a fair one.

I have always found it best to treat real estate transactions as a business deal without using emotional issues to make a point. Backfires a lot.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
SM, I think you usually give great advice IMO. As it turns out thanks to CD, and the thread about 'disclosures', we realized the home was not lived in. Asked the agent directly and she didnt know of anything bad having happened in the home. Well, thanks to Property Shark, put in the address and found the name of the homeowners. Then googled a bit more. As it turns out, the husband passed away four years ago...pretty young at 57, RIP. So this home is likely more of an estate sale or the wife that just wants to move on. So to your point SM, I think if we had our realtor inform the listing agent more about our young family they may also be incline with our situation --family of 5 that lost their home in a fire last summer
How awful, I can't imagine. I saw my old neighborhood get hit by a very windy day and fires kept igniting the dry leaves......over 22 pieces of equipment and every station in the county and neighboring counties provided mutual aid to fight at least a dozen fires. Fortunately only one home was lost. Fire was never more real than that day - I just can't imagine - it's my worse nightmare. I think you should definitely put a personal letter of appeal with any and all offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate