Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 09:31 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,859,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Um... when you say "unstable"..........are we talking as in dementia?
No, she is far too young for that.

She has a host of illnesses but never has a diagnosis. Every time you talk to her, its something new--she might have MS, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, cancer, diabetes, etc. She is addicted to pain killers due to an injury she had as a teenager. She fabricated a long story about a bridegroom who she can't admit was an internet scammer, and she keeps telling us she is in a grad program for her PhD, but she has been in this program for 15 years without any evidence of completion. She also travels with a "service dog" for her many undiagnosed illnesses. She is also very irritable, covetous, anxious, and confrontational. Recently, she tracked down one of my employees who I mentioned in passing was a nice guy and started emailing him out of the blue. She is obviously incredibly lonely and seems to have very little in the way of a social network, so she has a lot of cats and dogs that live with her. And she is in her 30s, so not old.

Its really quite sad. We all had a horrible childhood, but she has really had a break with reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
No, it's not weird. It's actually rather common in the real estate industry, to look at tax records to see who owns a property. From there, it's a 60-second search to see who is a registered agent for a trust. Basic internet research, most of it free. ]

If I wanted to sell an empty piece of land, I'd be looking at my neighbors, first, who might want a little more space around them.
This is why I think its the neighbor. When we listed with the agent, he was interested as any house built would block his view. But he didn't want to pay what we were asking because he thought we were "city folk" who would just be happy to unload at any price. All of this back and forth via email (if it is happening) seems designed to ferret out what our final price would be.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:43 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,191,894 times
As has previously been mentioned, a written offer is one to take seriously - emails without substantiation are meaningless.

The way we do business, a written offer should not only state the purchase/sales price, but the terms: proposed contract date, proposed closing date, if mortgage is to be obtained show a pre-approval from a reputable lender (though not likely here since it's land only), downpayment at time of contract, and if cash purchase, show proof of funds. What good is accepting an offer and going forward with a contract if the seller doesn't know if the buyer has the funds to go through with the deal?

Once you have a "real" offer, please enlist the help of an experienced real estate attorney!

Good luck to you!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
As has previously been mentioned, a written offer is one to take seriously - emails without substantiation are meaningless.

The way we do business, a written offer should not only state the purchase/sales price, but the terms: proposed contract date, proposed closing date, if mortgage is to be obtained show a pre-approval from a reputable lender (though not likely here since it's land only), downpayment at time of contract, and if cash purchase, show proof of funds. What good is accepting an offer and going forward with a contract if the seller doesn't know if the buyer has the funds to go through with the deal?

Once you have a "real" offer, please enlist the help of an experienced real estate attorney!

Good luck to you!
Yes, this is exactly what I said. I am about to close on a home and have just been through this entire process.
My older sister agreed.

Unstable sis said "well, I don't know why you are insisting on that. It seems like a waste of time if we don't like her price." and kept advocating that we move forward with telling this "person" what we would sell for to the point where she started yelling about it.

This is a business transaction and there is an appropriate, legal way to handle it. We have no obligation to anyone who is just fishing for information and does not spend the time to put an offer on the table. I just have a feeling that there is something up here-- normal buyers don't act like this, IMHO.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,688,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

Good luck to you!

Good advice. By using a real estate lawyer you will save yourself thousands in commissions and get real legal advice by someone who has no interest in the outcome.

Ignor anything regarding the property until there is a written offer, as other have said.

It is no accident that the weakest link is being worked by someone real, or imagined, but you can't control what others do. Talk is cheap. All real estate contracts must be in writing as a good lawyer will tell you. I am sorry for your sister's problems but remember she has no control in this situation so let her talk all she wants, it means nothing at this point.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,863,778 times
Since your sister seems committed to this lowball offer, why don't the remaining siblings offer to buy-out her portion of the alleged offer - to get her off the deed ... and out of the way for your future sales efforts.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:51 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,191,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Since your sister seems committed to this lowball offer, why don't the remaining siblings offer to buy-out her portion of the alleged offer - to get her off the deed ... and out of the way for your future sales efforts.
While it may sound simple enough, there are costs involved in a buy-out. Not only may the sibling at issue balk at the last minute, but the cost of the buy-out may be more than the OP and the other sister are willing to spend out-of-pocket at this time; we don't even know the assumed value of the property.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:54 AM

None of us want this property-- we all have homes of our own in other areas. My younger sibling is the only person with a lifestyle that would be a good fit for this place, and we have offered to let HER buy us out at a low price, but her response was "If I want it, I will just take it". My older sister and I shut that down. I wonder though, if this latest discourse is some sort of scheme so that she can do just that, but I can't figure out the angle.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:56 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,387,856 times
Realtors do this all the time. De-list, make a low ball through a third party, and then make the commission PLUS the add on value. Yes, it's unethical. They also smell blood in the water: Three owner parties are involved; no real attachment to that piece of land; everyone wants moola; so low ball and steal it.

The OP indicates that the property information isn't public, so unless the sister is advertising on Craigslist it's the real estate office that's playing with the information.

The MOMENT my friend mentioned considering a listing the realtor immediately said she had a "buyer" and out came the test question: Would you take 35,000. LESS?? That pays for half the realtors new car.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,340,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Realtors do this all the time. De-list, make a low ball through a third party, and then make the commission PLUS the add on value. Yes, it's unethical.
Oh Please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate