Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autrevie View Post
^^^ This. And even if they somehow got her name, how would they have gotten her email address? It doesn't add up. My pat answer would be, "Forward the emails to me, then we'll discuss it."

I recall your other thread where she was trying so hard to get your SS number. I'm wondering if her pain killer addiction is worse than you realize and she's needing money to buy on the street.
This had definitely occurred to me as well.

We had some other properties that thankfully we were able to sell very quickly from my mom's estate. I was able to interview agents (this land is in a different geographic location than both I and the other properties are in) and be involved to a degree that she was unable to pull any kind of mischief. The land was listed and delisted after 6 mos. As I said, the agent had no interest in further dealings with unstable sis. The plan was always to put it back on the market in the spring. I have identified two agents who I think would do a decent job with the listing, so as far as I or my older sis were concerned, that was what was going to happen.

The mystery buyer came out of left field. My gut is giving me a big warning. I think that she is definitely cooking up something. We are just not going to fall for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
It's not necessarily a scam, but as you said, you will only consider a written offer.

I've had people call me about properties I've listed in the past that no longer had a sign, etc. Some one knew that the property had been for sale and tracked me down. Given that the person has family in the area, the family may have noticed the property and mentioned it.
My siblings and I jointly own our late parents farm. We have also have had people track us down by looking at Plat Books, Tax Records and by work of mouth. However, my older brother is our main contact person and he immediately sends us any emails that he receives or tells us about any phone calls that he receives regarding the sale of our land. All of the final decisions are made jointly. That is the best way to handle it.

I agree that if your sister is not forwarding the emails something is really fishy. Maybe it is a scam or maybe she is trying to trick the two you out of your share of the property. Good luck to you.

BTW Please don't ever let your sister get a copy of your SSN. I would really, really worry what she will do with it.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
The advice from Ms. Mariotti on page two of this thread is outstanding, so depending on the rules within the state where you live, why not pay a visit to your local pre-paid legal firm, who are usually less expensive than a RE attorney, although many of them offer a free consultation?

As others have stated, your top priority is to protect both your credit and your SSN at all costs, not to mention your personal finances.

You might also consider having someone act as an intermediary between yourself and your troubled sister, and have all communications regarding the dividing of this property and distributing the proceeds delivered to that person who will then forward that info to you &/or your other sister.

Once you've engaged the services of a third party such as a realtor, a real estate attorney, a title company rep, or a pre-paid legal firm, ask them if there's anything that you can do to prevent your sister from either borrowing money against it or trying to sell it from under your nose.

Obviously, this 'deal' won't go anywhere without a written contract offer and proof of funds; those two mandates must be non-negotiable, and YOU would pick the title company, even if your sister goes into a screaming act to end all screaming acts.

Has the property been appraised recently, say within the past 6-12 months or so?

Old 01-21-2014, 01:22 PM

799 posts, read 1,550,095 times
And don't for any reason, go under contract with an anonymous buyer. Red flag to end all red flags.

I have been mulling this situation over, trying to figure out what sis is pulling. I have narrowed it down to a few possibilities:

Nigerian warlord prince erstwhile groom is back;
Your sis is trying to get a third party to buy the place for her at a very discounted rate;
Someone local wants the property (a person who exists) and is trying to pump sis for info so that they can get a better deal;
Your sister is setting up a false transaction so that she can get title to the land while never intending to pay (bad check, false buyer, etc.)

Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 AM

So, update on this...several weeks have gone by and no contract. Now the sister says that she is getting one in the mail. Of course this contract is ONLY being mailed to HER, and not the executor of the will (my other sister). We haven't seen anything in writing yet. But why would someone snail mail a contract to ONE person who does not have sole decision making power? And if they have been emailing, why not scan and send to our attorney?

My other sister and I are calling/confronting her this evening-- she lives in another state--because both of us agree that this is far too weird and that information is being withheld (if in fact it exists).

Old 02-05-2014, 12:04 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
Put the property on the market. Notify the real estate agent and the title company (if you are a title company state) that communication is ONLY to be done through the legal executor of the state and if unstable sister contacts them they are not to discuss it with her but that they have been instructed to refer her to executor sister. Tell unstable sister that any offer must be submitted through the real estate agent. Check your credit frequently.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:36 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
I think I have figured out one possible scam here. The people really do exist. got in touch with sister as she was easier to track down ( she lives near the property if I recall correctly.)Sister represents herself as executor of estate. Tells people to send all to her including the check made out to her. She cashes it and spends the money. She assumes you and other sister won"t let her go to jail for the fraud and will go thru with the sale and let her keep the money she spent. I think she figured this plan out after she told you about the casual inquiry.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I think I have figured out one possible scam here. The people really do exist. got in touch with sister as she was easier to track down ( she lives near the property if I recall correctly.)Sister represents herself as executor of estate. Tells people to send all to her including the check made out to her. She cashes it and spends the money. She assumes you and other sister won"t let her go to jail for the fraud and will go thru with the sale and let her keep the money she spent. I think she figured this plan out after she told you about the casual inquiry.
She doesn't-- the executor sis does. But you may be spot on with the rest.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 AM

Okay-- I think I have figured this out.

My father and mother were divorced years ago. Unstable sis had a relationship with Dad that ended in a falling out several years ago, other sis and I are estranged from him. Dad is (literally) a criminal and con man. When my mom died, she didn't even have an obit because she didn't want Dad coming after any of the assets in the estate (though legally he has no footing-- he is remarried.) This wasn't paranoia on Mom's part--- Dad actually robbed his own father's house while he was in the hospital dying. Neighbors called the police when they saw him breaking into the garage.

Dad could have certainly found out Mom passed. He was in the habit of applying for credit in her name. He could have also found out fairly easily about any real estate we had for sale. This is the last piece of property. He is always working several people at a time-- he likely convinced the latest girlfriend to call unstable sis and work her as the weak link. Unstable sis might be in on it or she might not. She might be trying to get the price down (maybe he promised to buy the land for her) and also get a kickback on the proceeds from the sale. Or, he might just be creating a false transaction. One of his particular skills is forging checks and cashier's checks.

This is a very dangerous situation. Thus far no contract has materialized. I feel in my gut that he is behind this. It makes all kinds of sense now.

Other sis and I are insisting that we list the land with an agent, or if a contract materializes in the next few days, we meet the person who is making the offer.

I am writing a book about my family. Sheesh.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
This is a very dangerous situation. Thus far no contract has materialized. I feel in my gut that he is behind this. It makes all kinds of sense now.
Strange things do happen.

I sold a home from a deceased Man who's Ex wife sued her own teenage kids for the house and other assets. The Ex had been divorced over 10 years and had no rights but did tie up the estate for 2 years while their attorneys made a lot of money.

Greed knows no boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate