Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:32 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times

Advertisements

To get back to your initial question, it is not that unusual for someone to contact an owner out-of-the-blue to make an offer. IF there is such a person (which seems highly questionable at this point), my guess would be that it might be someone who knows the neighbor who had expressed an interest in the land. Either they're just fishing for info, or they could actually be interested in making an offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Contracts establish a lot more than price. It tells you who is trying to buy this thing, terms, financing, contingencies, down payment, closing timeline, etc.
That's not necessarily the case. People who wish to remain anonymous in making an offer will oftentimes put up a straw buyer to enter into a contract. Since many, if not most, contracts can be assigned to another party once executed...that is how a party can remain unknown yet still enter into a contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Have the attorney list the property with a realtor he recommends, or a realtor you recommend, or have him list it himself as the broker (as long as the attorney is practicing in that state, they can act as a real estate broker).
Your statement implies that all states allow attorneys to act as real estate brokers without a license. That is definitely NOT true. As only one example, Michigan requires attorneys to licensed if they are to act as a real estate broker or as a salesperson. (And with good reason! Many attorneys know little about real estate or real estate law.)

In what state do attorneys not need to be licensed?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:03 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Your statement implies that all states allow attorneys to act as real estate brokers without a license. That is definitely NOT true. As only one example, Michigan requires attorneys to licensed if they are to act as a real estate broker or as a salesperson. (And with good reason! Many attorneys know little about real estate or real estate law.)
Your just nitpicking on terminology. Im not aware of any state that requires a real estate broker (with commission) involvement to make a sale from one individual to another. What role the attorney plays will vary.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:06 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
The crazy sister can talk all she wants. You and your other sister would have to agree no matter what the crazy one does.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The crazy sister can talk all she wants. You and your other sister would have to agree no matter what the crazy one does.
Well, you'd think.

Thing is there's all kind of identity stuff she can get into. And even when everything is safeguarded she could cause enough trouble to confuse and delay things and cause additional expense.

However, it looks like things are headed in a good direction financially on this property matter.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
None of us want this property-- we all have homes of our own in other areas. My younger sibling is the only person with a lifestyle that would be a good fit for this place, and we have offered to let HER buy us out at a low price, but her response was "If I want it, I will just take it". My older sister and I shut that down. I wonder though, if this latest discourse is some sort of scheme so that she can do just that, but I can't figure out the angle.

I was going to ask if you had considered this is some scam of hers to get the property away from you and it looks like you have.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times
Could you and sane sister (as individuals) buy the property from the trust? Crazy sister would get her 1/3 and be out of the picture. Then you two could dispose of it as you wished, and drama free.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Your just nitpicking on terminology. Im not aware of any state that requires a real estate broker (with commission) involvement to make a sale from one individual to another. What role the attorney plays will vary.
I'm sorry, but what possible relevance is your statement to the fact that attorneys oftentimes need to be licensed in order to work as a real estate broker and list properties for sale (not just handle a closing)? When one deals with matters of law, one needs to be accurate. That's not being "nitpicky".

By the way, I may be a broker, but I encourage people to avoid real estate brokerage commissions all of the time--as long as they can handle a sale themselves (with benefit of an attorney is best). Many people, however, do need and appreciate assistance...but let's not take this thread in that direction.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 01-20-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:

I got a call from this sibling with the following claim: someone called her out of the blue about the property. This particular land doesn't even have a street address, no signage, no nothing. This alleged individual is living in another state, found this land when they were visiting family over the holidays, and tracked down my sister through the trust that owns the land. This person never spoke to an agent, and has been emailing my sister with a low ball offer but has not submitted any written contract, gotten an agent, or been represented by a real estate attorney. I have not seen any of this email correspondence (in contrast,when we listed it with the agent, everyone was on the emails and unstable sis would forward anything that she got from her). Nor am I aware that the trust has any publicly listed contact information.

I think this is so bizarre. My other sister and I told unstable sis that she needs to get a contract in writing before we even consider this. She immediately got defensive and started yelling, but we stood our ground. Does this sound weird to anyone else? How to proceed from here?
It's beyond a tad curious that the alleged buyer tracked and made contact only with the only beneficiary who is unstable and not the executor of the estate and does not live in the same state as the property.

Something is really off , here. Trust your gut.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:07 PM

60 posts, read 20,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's beyond a tad curious that the alleged buyer tracked and made contact only with the only beneficiary who is unstable and not the executor of the estate and does not live in the same state as the property.

Something is really off , here. Trust your gut.
^^^ This. And even if they somehow got her name, how would they have gotten her email address? It doesn't add up. My pat answer would be, "Forward the emails to me, then we'll discuss it."

I recall your other thread where she was trying so hard to get your SS number. I'm wondering if her pain killer addiction is worse than you realize and she's needing money to buy on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate