Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:44 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times

Advertisements

What do you think will happen in the 3 years it will take to save for a downpayment and pay off your student loans? Will interest rates increase, will prices drop, will there be inflation and the monthly cost of a new home will go up? No one knows.

Could you buy today with PMI? If you could buy today with PMI does it make sense over renting. The small difference in rate isn't going to make much difference consider you are able to save about $1500 to $2000 a month today. If you could buy sooner and take advantage of tax breaks would it help you to pay down your student loans faster?

Do you need to put 20% down to get the payment within your budget, because in 2-3 years, you don't know what rates will be and you might be way off in your forecasting.

I'd buy into a good neighborhood as soon as possible if the monthly payment is anywhere near renting even if I have to take PMI. PMI like interest is lost money but interest you get a little rebate back, but no one know how they might change tax rules in the future. PMI wasn't deductible, then they made it deductible, in the future it is not suppose to be deductible.

If you haven't done it already, create a housing budget, don't go by, what is the biggest loan I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM

161 posts, read 260,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
What davebarnes said.

> First off there is ZERO reason for any seller give ANY consideration to what size down payment ANY buyer that is using normal financing will have -- frankly decent listing agents will help their sellers understand this.

I don't think I agree with this. A significant downpayment indicates a financially sound buyer very likely to be approved for a mortgage. 20% is significant; 5% is not.

The buyer would see the approximate size of the downpayment in your mortgage contingency.
Makes sense.....So the difference between 20-25% should offer the same security in MOST cases. Especially if the offer is written as 25% then securing the lending at 80% as advised by a previous poster.

I appreciate the insight as this can be a scary area to deal with due to lack of experience.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbear View Post
Makes sense.....So the difference between 20-25% should offer the same security in MOST cases. Especially if the offer is written as 25% then securing the lending at 80% as advised by a previous poster.

I appreciate the insight as this can be a scary area to deal with due to lack of experience.
Your offer needs to match the loan application, if put in an offer for 25% down, the lender will require both parties to agree to an amendment to 20%.

Sellers either wan to close or want more money. If they choose more money the appraisal might not come and the deal falls apart. If they take an ofter with a lower price with a larger down payment, they might be leaving money on the table. Each seller is different, some sellers don't have pressure to sell and move, some are dependent on selling their home to buy another.

Last edited by thelopez2; 01-20-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear629 View Post
write the offer based on a 25% down then secure lending based on a 20% during escrow
Have you done these transactions where an amendment wasn't needed?

Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM

192 posts, read 326,383 times
Escrow prepares an amendment updating the final numbers and for the most part, sellers want a timely transaction completion regardless of what type of financing the buyer's choose. I've had clients write all cash offers (with proof of funds) but ultimately finance the property and those that have increased their down payment.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
You mentioned making principal only payments in the future. Not all mortgage documents allow for making pop, some require additional moneys to be a "back-end" payment. When we bought our house 3 years ago, I made absolutely certain mine allowed for pop, changed banks once because the first bank only allowed back-end. We hit a stroke of luck in the middle with unexpected overtime and socked it into the house. We now have cut 6 years off the life of the mortgage (an additional 3 years with the pop).

Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You mentioned making principal only payments in the future. Not all mortgage documents allow for making pop, some require additional moneys to be a "back-end" payment. When we bought our house 3 years ago, I made absolutely certain mine allowed for pop, changed banks once because the first bank only allowed back-end. We hit a stroke of luck in the middle with unexpected overtime and socked it into the house. We now have cut 6 years off the life of the mortgage (an additional 3 years with the pop).
I haven't heard of a conventional mortgage not allowing principal only payment, that is pretty crazy. What and how does a "back-end" payment work?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
I've made multiple offers, never mentioned what % down I was going to pay. I did however include a copy of the pre-approval letter from my lender saying that I was approved for financing up to a number much higher than the amount of my offer.

I'm not clear on why the seller needs to know anything other than that you have financing lined up?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I haven't heard of a conventional mortgage not allowing principal only payment, that is pretty crazy. What and how does a "back-end" payment work?
I think she means any additional principal payments are applied to the end of the mortgage amortization schedule. If your payment is $1000 and one month you pay $1750, you can't say next month I'll only pay $250.00 and call it even. They will have taken $750.00 off the last scheduled payment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate