Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 AM

65 posts, read 257,126 times

Advertisements

Hi as title suggests what is average cost per month to maintain small-average size salt water pool? (original topic of title) I have no clue and internet research has varied tremendously. Because it may be the determining factor on which of two homes to buy for me and my family.

I am a first time homebuyer stumbling through this process. It is me, my wife, 3 yr old and new born. I have found myself torn between two properties far as submitting an offer. But one has a pool. Just because it has to be said- I most likely would choose the home without the pool if I am nitpicking- if it weren't for the pool itself. The home might not be quite as practical for us, and is $20K more expensive pre-negotiation (but still within our price range). But that pool... It's very nice and I could really see our family spending evenings together out there poolside and all the fun the kids will have at the pool.

I was hoping for just some of you to advise me about the cost of the pool per month insofar as electricity bills, but I kind of want to list the pros/cons now and maybe you can help me see something I am not to make a better decision (even though you don't "know" us and what house would be the best fit for our family, just generalized opinions based on this post would be welcomed).

I'll call them properties A and B.
A/Red is newer home and B/Blue is older pool home.

Both in good locations and decent neighborhoods for us. They are bothon dead end streets, but A has only about 5 spaced-out houses and B has about 40 houses on it. But A is not a paved road.

A was built in 2005, and B was built in 1975. 30 yr difference.

A was built much more recently so has a modern nice-flowing layout, but B has more sq footage and multiple family/ common areas.

Both have a pond in the back (so no neighbors in back )

A has nice deck in backyard and some room to throw a ball around and play in the yard with kids. B doesn't but has an incredible POOL.

Since A is so much newer there are not so much (if any) flaws, cracks and crevices, like around baseboards, trim, and the like kind of stuff. But B does and it has had at least one addition. In fact, where they enclosed an outside area, the now interior family/bonus room is just block wall with plaster on it and there are knicks in the block wall, which again is on the inside right by the bedroom entrance so that's a little weird. Nothing major/ just cosmetic mostly.

Bottom line:
A - Better layout, spaced out neighbors, little more room in yard area, newer home
B - Little bit larger. Sweet pool!

The pool is really making it happen for B I gotta say. I feel like although it may be a bit less functional of a house, we would make up for it by great family times by he pool. I know, only I can answer these questions, but it didn't hurt to write it out- in fact it has helped me to compare just by writing this post.

Should I drop an offer at both houses and see how much either budge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:50 AM

Whoa, just read through that with the colors and all, lol. Dizzy yet?

Sorry for the long read. Just having a hard time making this decision and writing it out helped. Even though i'm in the exact same spot

Old 01-27-2014, 10:16 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Have you lived in a home with a pool before? Have you had neighbors with a pool before?

The reason I ask is that some families just don't end up 'taking' to a pool, despite what they think before moving to a pool home.

It's weird...my family uses our pool a TON, it's the center of our entertaining and socializing for a lot of the year. But even in hot SoCal I was shocked at how many people were either, 1) 100% anti-pool no matter what, or 2) never ever used their pool and it was just a hole sucking up $$$.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:24 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,128,043 times
Maintaining a pool takes alot of your free time and money.. Plus, do you plan to sell the home? If not, what will you do when your children move out and you no longer have the time, health or energy to maintain the pool. Also, what are the laws in your area that pertain to pools, such fencing and locks to prevent accidental drownings, etc? Will your home insurance rates go up if you have a pool?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
The electric cost will depend on how long you run the pump/filter each day, the size of the pump and the electric rate per kilowatt used in your area. You will also have to pay more for water if not on well water to keep the pool filled to appropriate level. Plus the chemicals if you do it yourself or a fee if you use a pool company.

You didn't say where the homes are. Are pools common there. If not, they can be a liability when you go to sell the house. Also, how many months a year will you be able to use it. And, if its in a buggy place is there a screened enclosure.

Personally, I would not want a pool with such young children as you will have to make sure they are always locked in and doors alarmed so they cant sneak out of sight and into the pool.

I would also consider the age of the pool. Is it as old as the house?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,117 times
Look at the neighborhoods - which one meets your family's goals/needs better? I like to have places for the kids to play outside safely, and other kids for them to play with. Some people like to be more secluded.

I refused to look at houses with pools - my kids are not much older than yours and are too adventurous; it wouldn't have been safe for them.

If you are planning to stay in this home for 10 or 15 or 20 years...which one will fit the needs of your family over time? Could you put a pool into the backyard of house A?

Old 01-27-2014, 11:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
A

No pool with babies in the house.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
This is so easy...

House A

It is the rare, or more mature/worldly wise first time home owner who should have a pool.

And with a 3 year old in the mix - NO WAY.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:51 AM

120 posts, read 215,211 times
I would definitely vote for the newer home because you can always have a pool installed later.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM

Great feedback thanks.

Yes, I forgot to mention, we are in Central Florida.

The house with pool (b) is solar heated and has screen enclosure.

I believe that we would use it quite regularly, being that the weather is appropriate here many months of the year, and we are "water/beach people."

I am naturally nervous about having children and a pool. Fortunately there is a quality child gate installed that fastens into the concrete deck. The house with pool actually was owned by someone with a small child (was there for showing) who owned a pool company, so that's why the pool is safe and good quality (I believe). So the pool is newer than the home (2008).

I would be very curious about the different rates in homeowners insurance?! I don't know how to find out what the differences would be. I'm very new to all of this. Hence me reaching out to you guys

I would have to find out how often the pump has to run and hopefully try and determine the increased cost of electricity/utility charges.

Being that the price difference is approx $20K (pre-negotiation) I am curious about installing a pool at home A with the difference in price. Although, I think I would be more inclined to hang on to $20K, at least for the time being, it's hard to say. I don't even think that is enough build a pool? It's like the pool home makes that decision for me. BUT, the grading at house A might make it difficult/more expensive to put a pool. I don't know about that?

Very difficult decision. Thank you for your opinions, information and advice.

So would/could it be a wise decision to put a more-attractive-for-me offer in at both homes and see where they are willing to go/bend on prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate