U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 AM

21 posts, read 24,976 times

Advertisements

I looked at 12-15 in person, about half were open houses. Drove by about 10 more. Put in the bulk of my effort online in advance- which meant less reliance on a real estate agent. Had looked at hundreds of homes online. 3 of those I saw in person, I would have lived in. Closing on one of them soon, happened to be an open house newly on the market. My first home purchase. Took one month of very intensive effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,308 times
Short answer - 12 to 16 homes, but it is different for everyone

Old 02-05-2014, 05:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,550,154 times
I bought my first home about 1.5 years ago, and I think I visited 8 houses in earnest. (I went to a couple of open houses in addition to those, but that was before I got serious about buying.) I may not be the best example, though, because I was looking at a very specific area that was really only about 6 blocks tall and 7 blocks wide. The 8 houses I saw made up the entirety of the available housing stock close to my budget that fit my minimum bed/bath requirements, plus a couple that could be modified to meet those needs and a couple that were a block or two outside of my target area. I think if there had been more houses available I would have visited those as well. I found each of these houses online, read any disclosures that were posted, looked at the photos, and then asked my buyer's agent to arrange the showings. He was happy to do it. I put in offers on two houses--one I lost to a buyer who offered the same amount but waived inspection, and the other is where I live now. This all took place quite quickly, with about 2 months elapsing between the time that I decided to start seriously looking and when I signed on the dotted line and got my keys.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:22 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,047,705 times
My real estate agent was so incredibly patient with me. I did not want to relocate, but had to for my husband's job, so I was determined to find fault with every house we saw. After seeing every single home for sale in the area over several months, I was worn down and tired, so I gave in. He never said a word or displayed any sort of frustration with me, and we eventually found a house that I love. (Though I still hate living here!)

Old 02-06-2014, 09:15 AM

480 posts, read 986,863 times
The answer to the OP's question is, of course, that the number of homes a buyer might view varies from buyer to buyer. That's pretty much a no brainer.

The interesting sidebar of this thread is "what does a realtor provide as part of the home search"?

IMHO, a role of the realtor is to provide the information necessary for the buyer and/or seller to make informed, rational, and unemotional decisions pertaining to the sell or purchase of the home. The necessary information will vary from client to client but should be focused on providing that client with the information needed to make good decisions.

The actual sell or purchase of the home is simply the result of providing this information.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:40 PM

37 posts, read 142,905 times
My co-worker and I were both first time buyers in the same sellers' market. I started looking in January 2013 and closed March 1, 2013. She started looking in September 2012 and bought in November 2013. I looked at 3 houses in person (1 open house and 2 with my Realtor, bought house #3) she looked at upwards of 60 and put in multiple offers that didn't get chosen. I selected all of the properties I wanted to see and the moment they hit the MLS I was on the phone with my agent to get an appointment set up.

Unlike many first time buyers I was not looking for a house I loved, the one I bought needed a lot of cosmetic work and 1 total bathroom replacement but I was looking for something with good bones and potential within a large number of acceptable neighborhoods. After watching my co-worker who was looking in my ideal budget (180) lose a number of bidding wars to cash and conventional buyers at that price point, I reevaluated my budget in light of what I wanted in a house. I purchased a house at the top of my "safe" budget (230) in a neighborhood I love and am comfortable with my mortgage payment. By the time my co-worker purchased the interest rates had gone up (as well as her budget). She purchased a house for 210 and we have the same mortage payment, but her house is smaller and in a less desireable neighborhood.

Given the sellers' market and rapid price increases over the last year it was important to me not to take too much time lest I end up chasing the market. In the end my co-worker and I had totally different experiences and are both happy. Normal will differ by individual and by market if your agent isn't willing to work with you to see all the houses you are interested in so that you can make an informed purchase, maybe the agent isn't right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or