Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:55 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
If you look at what Obama has done, he is definitely firmly in the center. It's just because the US has gone so far right compared to the rest of the developed world, that he seems like he might not be. If you compare him to the leaders of all other democracies he is definitely center right.

Equality of opportunity is a myth. Your success is largely determined by your parents. Sure everyone has a rag to riches story, but usually they involve luck or remarkable talent, which not everyone has.
I love how people equate hard work with success. I consider myself very well off. I work hard and have earned what I have. But I am under no delusion that I'm successful because I am working harder than some guy who is working two minimum wage jobs. That's why there is no empathy for the poor. Everyone thinks they are just lazy, because to admit otherwise would mean that a large part of their success was just dumb luck.
Obama is the most far left president we've had but that said this isn't a political discussion. I'm definately in agreement that part of the reason I'm successful is my parents weren't rich but had enough money to live in safe areas where I wasn't scared to go to school, got a decent education, wasn't pressured to joint gangs, etc. That said your parents and your background don't determine your future, yeah maybe its easier to go one way or the other but its not a determining factor. Also I have plenty of friends of mine who work more hours than I do but I take more risks and think outside the box and started my own busienss so I could hopefully one day work many less hours and not work for someone else.

You act like people deserve no credit for their sucess its all because they were white and priveleged. There's a whole lot of white priveleged people who have done nothing with their lives and a whole lot of people from poor backgrounds wo have risen above their background. yeah tehre's the super rich who will pass down wealt and connections but thats a small percentage of people. Among the middle class some will seee huge success and others will live run of the mill comfortable lives. It's the choices and work ethhic that dtermine which you will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 06:36 PM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Obama is the most far left president we've had but that said this isn't a political discussion. I'm definately in agreement that part of the reason I'm successful is my parents weren't rich but had enough money to live in safe areas where I wasn't scared to go to school, got a decent education, wasn't pressured to joint gangs, etc. That said your parents and your background don't determine your future, yeah maybe its easier to go one way or the other but its not a determining factor. Also I have plenty of friends of mine who work more hours than I do but I take more risks and think outside the box and started my own busienss so I could hopefully one day work many less hours and not work for someone else.

You act like people deserve no credit for their sucess its all because they were white and priveleged. There's a whole lot of white priveleged people who have done nothing with their lives and a whole lot of people from poor backgrounds wo have risen above their background. yeah tehre's the super rich who will pass down wealt and connections but thats a small percentage of people. Among the middle class some will seee huge success and others will live run of the mill comfortable lives. It's the choices and work ethhic that dtermine which you will be.
He may very well be, but that doesn't mean he is radical or leftist in general.

As far as the privilege thing. I didn't really bring race into it. I'm not saying that all people who have well off parents will be successful. What I am saying is that if you grew up middle class, the likelihood you will end up poor is virtually zero, barring some colossal screw up. You are basically guaranteed a fairly comfortable life regardless of what you do. I just think if people looked at it through those glasses, there would be less assumption that poor people are poor simply because they lack work ethic. Some of the hardest working people I have encountered in my life have been dirt poor.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
He may very well be, but that doesn't mean he is radical or leftist in general.

As far as the privilege thing. I didn't really bring race into it. I'm not saying that all people who have well off parents will be successful. What I am saying is that if you grew up middle class, the likelihood you will end up poor is virtually zero, barring some colossal screw up. You are basically guaranteed a fairly comfortable life regardless of what you do. I just think if people looked at it through those glasses, there would be less assumption that poor people are poor simply because they lack work ethic. Some of the hardest working people I have encountered in my life have been dirt poor.
You obviously are out of touch. I've talked to many homeless people downtown Chicago as I come across dozens going to work, sometimes I'll give them my lunchh or a smoke and have a chat. Yeah many are mentally ill and have horrible backgrounds but you'd be shocked how many come from middle classs homes.

You would think if you have family they would never let you live on the streets but thats just not true. Also what happens if your parents die no siblings no support to fall back on. It's easy for medical problems or a lay off to destroy you. Many people even middle class don't have savings so you lose yoru job. Plan on getting a new job but tings are slow going, eventually your evicted or foreclosed on, go throug all savings staying in a longterm hotel, have to get rid of your things. Your blowing through savings, when your living like this you have to pay more for everything from food to laundry to clothes as you cant do your own laundry, cant cook in a hotel room.

Poverty is a cycle and its hard to get out once your in, I give you that but thats not the background all homeless or poor people have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate