Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Urg, I had it happen again, another real estate agent I was interviewing to possibly list my property. After being evasive about telling me her qualifications, she launches into question after question about 1) where I am going 2) why am I leaving 3) how much money I have to spend on my next residence 4) why I shouldn't rent before buying again 5) why did I buy my property in the first place.

Very annoying and a real timewaster from my perspective.
Was this one of the two agents we talked about?

Also, what's so bad about question #5? I always ask my seller clients what attracted them to their house. Chances are the person who buys the house will love it for the same reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 06:51 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post

Also, what's so bad about question #5? I always ask my seller clients what attracted them to their house. Chances are the person who buys the house will love it for the same reasons.
It isn't a bad question but she asked me the same question three times in a 15 minute conversation. It felt like an interrogation after awhile.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:32 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Default Meaningless

Quote:
On top of that she has an out-of-state phone number.
Not meaningful.
With cellphones, everyone who moves is keeping their current number.
"Area" codes no longer mean geography.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,032 times
That does sound odd. Do you happen to know if this agent is affiliated with the agent you originally wanted (on an team perhaps)? You might have been referred to this agent if the original agent is swamped and underwater with deals.

There are ways to ask these questions to a potential client, and I routinely ask many of them. The key is asking them in the right way. Questions such as "why are you considering selling your home?" or "Oh you are relocating? Where to? Did you get a great job opportunity?" are valuable pieces of information for us to know. The agent should have built a relationship with you, and asked these out of genuine interest. Making you feel like you are in an interrogation is a very quick way to lose a deal and a client.

I am curious as to why she would suggest that you not sell your home.. when calling to set up a listing appointment. Perhaps she was trying to elude to the option of you keeping the property as a rental?

PS: Sorry if my response sounds disjointed, I had a very long day.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
That does sound odd. Do you happen to know if this agent is affiliated with the agent you originally wanted (on an team perhaps)? You might have been referred to this agent if the original agent is swamped and underwater with deals.

There are ways to ask these questions to a potential client, and I routinely ask many of them. The key is asking them in the right way. Questions such as "why are you considering selling your home?" or "Oh you are relocating? Where to? Did you get a great job opportunity?" are valuable pieces of information for us to know. The agent should have built a relationship with you, and asked these out of genuine interest. Making you feel like you are in an interrogation is a very quick way to lose a deal and a client.

I am curious as to why she would suggest that you not sell your home.. when calling to set up a listing appointment. Perhaps she was trying to elude to the option of you keeping the property as a rental?

PS: Sorry if my response sounds disjointed, I had a very long day.
Oh no you don't sound the least bit disjointed.

To answer your question, yes they are in the same office. The one swamped with deals is the one I would want because they obviously have an excellent track record.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not meaningful.
With cellphones, everyone who moves is keeping their current number.
"Area" codes no longer mean geography.
But real estate is all about geography. If this was me and I was using this as a business phone, I would have a phone number associated with the area I was connected to or call from the local office. A cell phone used for business only is a tax write-off, so there isn't really an excuse not to have an additional cell phone if needed. Every other real estate agent I have talked to has a local number.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:47 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,740 times
Quote:
But real estate is all about geography. If this was me and I was using this as a business phone, I would have a phone number associated with the area I was connected to or call from the local office. A cell phone used for business only is a tax write-off, so there isn't really an excuse not to have an additional cell phone if needed. Every other real estate agent I have talked to has a local number.
respectfully, I disagree that a person need an area code pertinent to the primary area of business.

What matters to me most is that they A. pick up my call or call back in a very timely manner, and B. are in the same timezone..

Whether the number I call to reach them is a local exchange, an exchange from a city or two over, or from another part of the state (and they've relocated to my area now), has no bearing (from my perspective)

Old 02-06-2014, 07:00 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,669 times
Quote:
Cell phones for just voice are cheap so I would agree, but just because it is a deductible expense does not make it free. People seem to miss that nuance frequently. It is not a 100% refund against taxes for the amount spent.

Real estate sales are sink or swim and I'm sure a qualified buyer in hand is worth more than a listing, at least in most areas. There is an immense amount of pressure to sell and it's a relationship business. Those with an established network are in demand and the other 90% struggle.

That being said her problem is not your problem so I would continue on with your hunt for someone that you are comfortable with. I can say with certainty I wish I had been a little more diligent when choosing my advisors when I was looking for a house. Better to be too safe than sorry.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post

Real estate sales are sink or swim and I'm sure a qualified buyer in hand is worth more than a listing, at least in most areas. There is an immense amount of pressure to sell and it's a relationship business. Those with an established network are in demand and the other 90% struggle.
I see your point. This agent is a bit new to the area so it is beneficial for her to establish a relationship with me, but no good for me as a seller as I really need someone who is already doing all that social media marketing, has a long established network in this vicinity and long standing relationships with other agents.

In most areas and back in 2012 in Massachusetts, a buyer would be more valuable than a seller.

As of last year, the market turned around and there is a shortage of properties for sale in most towns, so I would think a listing would be just as valuable. Perhaps, some of them are still stuck in 2012 mode. Eventually, if noone takes any listings, there will be nothing for the seller to buy. And who says I won't try to sell it myself. If I succeed, no agent seller's or buyer's makes a commission.

It's a matter of short term vs long term business plan.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 02-06-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kww View Post
respectfully, I disagree that a person need an area code pertinent to the primary area of business.

What matters to me most is that they A. pick up my call or call back in a very timely manner, and B. are in the same timezone..

Whether the number I call to reach them is a local exchange, an exchange from a city or two over, or from another part of the state (and they've relocated to my area now), has no bearing (from my perspective)

Well, they can do what they want, but I still maintain especially for this particular profession it is poor branding on their part. 1) It shows instability. 2) It is a red flag that the person doesn't have deep roots in a region, thus wide spread networks 3) might indicate they spend a lot of time in that other region and may not be frequently available 4) trust issue for some people, if I let you into my fortress, who are you really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate