Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:17 PM

501 posts, read 1,049,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Well, they can do what they want, but I still maintain especially for this particular profession it is poor branding on their part. 1) It shows instability. 2) It is a red flag that the person doesn't have deep roots in a region, thus wide spread networks 3) might indicate they spend a lot of time in that other region and may not be frequently available 4) trust issue for some people, if I let you into my fortress, who are you really?
I agree. Thats why I carry two phones, even though it is really inconvenient. I have had the same number for tons of years, and if I switch it, no one will ever remember it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:54 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Does not matter

Quote:
But real estate is all about geography. If this was me and I was using this as a business phone, I would have a phone number associated with the area
Why?
What is the first thing you are going to do once this person is your agent?
Add them to your favorites list.
You will never "dial" the number.
And, if they have central dispatch desk to call you about showings, then you will program that with a different ring. We always knew what the quacking duck sound meant.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:41 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Well, they can do what they want, but I still maintain especially for this particular profession it is poor branding on their part. 1) It shows instability. 2) It is a red flag that the person doesn't have deep roots in a region, thus wide spread networks 3) might indicate they spend a lot of time in that other region and may not be frequently available 4) trust issue for some people, if I let you into my fortress, who are you really?
I agree.

In this day and age one can get a throw away phone for less then $20 a month with a local area code that "says" I am local, I live here, I like it here, I am here to stay, I know this area, etc.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:50 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not meaningful.
With cellphones, everyone who moves is keeping their current number.
"Area" codes no longer mean geography.
agreed

Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,891,244 times
Quote:
again, I respect your opinion.. but in my are (NOVA), there are atleast four separate exchanges that a single agent could frequent in day to day business.

I *believe* from previous postings of yours, that your area (new engand?) could have the same amount, if not more?

for someone not educated in a professionals day to day dealings, it would be foolish IMO to assume one is more frequently available in one region than another. it could be as easy as a recent move change, thus requiring a relearn from years of previous contacts, a forward of an old number to a new one (not always accurate), or worst, usage of something like a google voice number or something of the like *yuuch*

if there's a trust issue on your end, based off your reasoning of their exchange number, than there is not much to be said. Being my family is homegrown in New England (quincy, providence, stonington), I'd be happy to try and align you with someone locally (but caveat, it's been awhile since I've been up north)

Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
I used to think it was weird when people had out of state area codes too. It's something I've gotten used to at this point although I would agree with 495 that it gives some people an impression that you haven't been in the area long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
I agree. Thats why I carry two phones, even though it is really inconvenient. I have had the same number for tons of years, and if I switch it, no one will ever remember it.
Why carry two phones? Just use Google Voice and direct all your calls where ever you want them to go.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 PM

501 posts, read 1,049,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I used to think it was weird when people had out of state area codes too. It's something I've gotten used to at this point although I would agree with 495 that it gives some people an impression that you haven't been in the area long.

Why carry two phones? Just use Google Voice and direct all your calls where ever you want them to go.
Why? Because I am too dumb to think of this before... or know how it works...

Old 02-08-2014, 10:20 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Why?
What is the first thing you are going to do once this person is your agent?
Add them to your favorites list.
You will never "dial" the number.
And, if they have central dispatch desk to call you about showings, then you will program that with a different ring. We always knew what the quacking duck sound meant.
Who even "dials" anyone any more? I could not tell you the phone number of anyone I know, except my own and Mr. Dokie's. Ten years ago, I could rattle off family, friends, my MIL.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate