Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,035,349 times

Advertisements

I'm in the final stages of fix-up before putting house on market. The family room is pretty much the last project.

My original plan was to remove existing carpet (22 years old and gross) and install a hardwood floor, which would be a nice upgrade. Other than the 2nd story bedrooms the rest of the house has hardwood floors, though the family room never did. FWIW, the room is pretty large, 19x19' with a somewhat complex floor plan - several closets, corner alcoves, half flight of stairs, etc. The wood floor option would therefore be a much more complex project than a simple rectangular space. The room is open to the kitchen on one side and has a slider going out to a patio on the other.

Anyway, now I'm running out of time. It would be easier and cheaper to just recarpet and be done with it. My wife pointed out that with little kids she preferred carpeted a family room over wood. Just leaving it alone and letting buyers deal with it isn't an option, the carpet has irremediable pet smells that absolutely need to gone.

What's the collective wisdom on this? It goes without say that the room will be "light, neutral color, etc etc blah blah." Comments appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Since you aren't going to be enjoying it, I would lay down carpet. Much cheaper.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:10 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
Quick? Carpet installed in a couple of hours.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 AM

501 posts, read 1,050,617 times
I think that you would have better luck with selling the house if you layed down some laminate. Most buyers find carpet extremely undesirable in today's market.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,995,880 times
Ugh.. I hate carpet in the family room.. that's where the kids and pets congregate. And I hate carpet in general.

I think laminate would be too difficult to match to the hardwood, so in this case I would go with new carpeting as much as I hate it. If I were recarpeting for say a family member or close friend, I'd go with Mohawk Smartstrand berber as it is wonderful for messy kids and pets versus any nylon. But, you'd be looking at somewhere around $50+/sqyd installed with pad.

You need to be careful with cheap carpet at certain price points. It'll scream "I'm cheap".

Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
If you are paying someone to put the wood in, you won't get your money back. But, if the rest of the first floor has beat up hardwood and if there is existing hardwood under the carpet, I'd refinish all of the first floor if it is a higher priced home.

Otherwise go with a light neutral carpet and get the adhesive carpet protectors to keep it looking new.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:36 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
I think that you would have better luck with selling the house if you layed down some laminate. Most buyers find carpet extremely undesirable in today's market.
Laminate next to hardwood looks worse.

I hate carpet and I have all hardwoods in my home, but when selling you have to be practical. Many people out there still love carpet and it will look better than laminate.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 AM

501 posts, read 1,050,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Laminate next to hardwood looks worse.

I hate carpet and I have all hardwoods in my home, but when selling you have to be practical. Many people out there still love carpet and it will look better than laminate.
Once again, I got too excited and did not read the entire post. I definitely agree though, laminate and hardwood do not mix. I rescind my previous advice.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:56 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,035,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
If you are paying someone to put the wood in, you won't get your money back. But, if the rest of the first floor has beat up hardwood and if there is existing hardwood under the carpet, I'd refinish all of the first floor if it is a higher priced home.

Otherwise go with a light neutral carpet and get the adhesive carpet protectors to keep it looking new.
The rest of the first floor IS hardwood and it WILL be refinished. The familiy room just has plywood underlayment under the carpet. If it had been hardwood I would have refinished it at the outset (when I moved in the whole place was carpeted over hardwood, I immediately removed the carpet and refinished the floors - but that was 22 years ago).

It might be worth noting that the family room is seperated from the rest of the house by the kitchen, it's an add-on wing, so the existing wood floors are not contiguous with it.

Using laminate actually seems cheesier to me than carpet since it's out of character with the rest of the house. Upstairs kids bedrooms are carpeted, no hardwood underneath.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Anyway, now I'm running out of time.
Wood or laminate could take time. One the rug is pulled, floor prep maybe needed, floor may need to be leveled from the basement, baseboards may need to be pulled, you could be looking at alot of work and money.

Will your house be worth more if this one room had carpet vs wood? No.

Personally I'd have the carpet installed and be done with it. The new owner can install hardwood if they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate