Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 PM

134 posts, read 285,783 times

Advertisements

As you can see from my username, I'd like to buy in West LA or Santa Monica. I heard permitting is a nightmare. My first question is if there's a good resource to learn about how permitting and zoning works in LA and Santa Monica so I can understand what I can build and not build before I buy a property. Secondly, I'm also open to condos in addition to houses. I understand for renovating condos, you typically need approval from the HOA. Are there permitting/zoning issues in addition to the HOA to be aware of in these cases when the renovation is inside the unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,765,086 times
I don't know why permitting is a nightmare, the cities wants to tax you, they'll gladly take your money. The building department is on Sawtelle between Olympic and Santa Monica, they are pretty helpful if you have a direct question.

Work inside a condo might need permits too depending on the type, the condo might also have CC&R to review and have requirement on the people doing the work.

Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM

134 posts, read 285,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelopez2 View Post
I don't know why permitting is a nightmare, the cities wants to tax you, they'll gladly take your money. The building department is on Sawtelle between Olympic and Santa Monica, they are pretty helpful if you have a direct question.

Work inside a condo might need permits too depending on the type, the condo might also have CC&R to review and have requirement on the people doing the work.
That in itself sounds like an addition complexity to me. You have to not only comply with some constraints, but you also have to vet your contractors? Yikes.

Also, I heard that some properties are grandfathered into old zoning/permitting laws but does not allow certain types of additions. I could be wrong but these sound like big constraints that is a headache to research while competing with other buyers in the market.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,231,997 times
Depends on what and how you plan on remodeling. You can get contractors to bid the different things (electrical, plumbing paint drywall cabinetry) and get a good idea of costs.
I have done a few remodels. Getting permits isn't that hard. Its hard if you don't know what to do and even then it's not insurmountable

Old 02-13-2014, 07:00 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,598,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBWestside View Post
if there's a good resource to learn about how permitting and zoning works in LA and Santa Monica so I can understand what I can build and not build before I buy a property.
It depends more on the property than anything. Some parts of town may have a 50 foot setback, some might have 5 feet. You find a property, then look up the zoning, then look up the rules for that zoning. You only run into big issues when you want to do something that is not allowed according to the zoning laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTBWestside View Post
Secondly, I'm also open to condos in addition to houses. I understand for renovating condos, you typically need approval from the HOA. Are there permitting/zoning issues in addition to the HOA to be aware of in these cases when the renovation is inside the unit?
You will need to contact each HOA for their own set of rules. I've heard some condos you would only be able to work at certain times of day, no weekends. Others have huge prepaid deposits if you damage the elevators, hallways, etc Others may require hiring a condo supervisor to load materials into the building. Its endless.

Sure following the rules is time consuming, but its easy if you know the rules.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:54 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,598,746 times
That said... if you do run into issues......

I've worked many places as a contractor throughout the usa. I've never met a code enforcement officer who wasn't willing to look the other way on for some ben franklins. I'm not saying its right, its just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate