Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM

4,641 posts, read 11,941,823 times

Advertisements

What happens when an HOA goes bankrupt? How does this affect the homeowners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,627,552 times
Is this hypothetical? Or yours?

Either way, how did it come to this? Secrets kept? Embezzlement? Everyone not paying dues? A big special assessment not met?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:52 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Default You lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
What happens when an HOA goes bankrupt? How does this affect the homeowners?
Everyone gets to pay a special assessment to make it whole again.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,026,528 times
Quote:
What happens when an HOA goes bankrupt?
Let me google that for you

Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM

The rumor is that the HOA had a major expense related to a pool and the current assessments won't cover the related expenses. One of the board members let slip that the HOA is expected to go bankrupt in 2 years. Our bylaws limit assessment increases to 15%/year and that still won't cover it.
That's all info I have.

So......can the HOA create a "special assessment" to avoid bankruptcy?

If the HOA does goe bankrupt, can the lender sue for a special assessment against the homeowner?

I'm finding a lot of conflicting info and wondered if anyone has ever dealt with this.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
This link will give some info on the financial end of it from the bankruptcy court side of things.

What Happens When a Homeowners Association Goes Bankrupt? | eHow

From a practical standpoint, it will be problematic for the home owners. Example, if there is no money to pay for utilities to common areas, then street lights go out, pools will have to close, clubhouses close, etc.
If it's a gated association, then the gates won't work, any security people will quit.

If there's no money to pay workers, grass doesn't get cut, landscaping in common areas get ignored, trash doesn't get removed, in northern states, snow and ice don't get removed.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
This link will give some info on the financial end of it from the bankruptcy court side of things.

What Happens When a Homeowners Association Goes Bankrupt? | eHow

From a practical standpoint, it will be problematic for the home owners. Example, if there is no money to pay for utilities to common areas, then street lights go out, pools will have to close, clubhouses close, etc.
If it's a gated association, then the gates won't work, any security people will quit.

If there's no money to pay workers, grass doesn't get cut, landscaping in common areas get ignored, trash doesn't get removed, in northern states, snow and ice don't get removed.

Thanks. Obviously, then, my property value drop. This is just so annoying b/c many of the things are happening behind closed-door meetings and I, and the rest of the homeowners, are having a tough time getting information.

I am just really hoping that individual homeowners will not be held personally responsible.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
2 years is a long ways off and sounds alarmist. It does sound like they don't have enough reserves to cover it, so there will most likely be a special assessment issued to cover it. Covenants allow for special assessments.

100 units, 100,000 assessment, 1,000 per unit due on demand.

It is difficult for it to go "bankrupt" unless they have taken out significant debt, owe tons in utilities, and generally are crappy managers.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,736,546 times
Quote:
Thanks. Obviously, then, my property value drop. This is just so annoying b/c many of the things are happening behind closed-door meetings and I, and the rest of the homeowners, are having a tough time getting information.

I am just really hoping that individual homeowners will not be held personally responsible.
You need to get a group of homeowners together and demand that the board open the books and provide information. As a group, you might also talk to an attorney and discuss your options, including withholding monthly fees. The key word here is "owners." You have a stake in the property. Don't let someone else take that away. And, yes, as an owner, you can be held personally responsible for the fate of the community . . . along with everyone else who has shares. Finally, you need to determine whether some criminal act has taken place in the disbursement of funds.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a psychological study on what happens to people when they become HOA board members. I'm guessing that, because they work for the community for free, they think they are owed so much that they can simply choose to act as they please.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
The HOA can order a special assessment to to cover a major expense, like repairing the pool, if their reserve fund won't cover it.

They can also order a special assessment to build up the reserve fund. However, I'm not sure if they can combine both into one special assessment or if they have to levy them separately.

More problematic, is why is this happening in your complex? Are there lots of people not paying their HOA fees? Is the association just poorly run by idiots ? Is someone absconding with fees?

Yes, you home values will drop if this goes to bankruptcy. Attempting refinancing or selling will be a horror.
Actually, it's going to be a mess now as it becomes known that reserves are inadequate to fund the common amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate