U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:06 AM

8,284 posts, read 12,972,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnityJAX View Post
Their guessing on repair cost or getting cold feet.
I am thinking the exact same thing! Your "buyer" is nervous! If you know of any flaws in your house declare them now.
Get it over and done with! Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:31 AM

16,050 posts, read 25,293,170 times
You can't really get in someone else's mind. They'll come back eventually. We have had this happen a couple of times when selling. I don't get it either, I would rather be done with it and move on. Others like to make you sweat it out.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,307,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Hello all,

My house went under contract early last week, and the buyer was quick in getting the inspection done. However, it has been a week since the inspection and we still haven't heard anything from the buyer. Every time my agent asks about it, their agent says they'll have something for us "tonight or tomorrow". We've gotten that response three times now since Monday. When I bought, I had my repair request in a day after the inspection. At the rate we're going, I'm not going to have time to get any repairs done, at least not by anyone reputable. Is it normal for the buyer to be looking over the inspection for this long?
What makes you think you have to have repairs done? You aren't under any obligation to make repairs unless you want to.

Aside from that, you should know the condition of the home you are selling right? If the inspection report documents something critical, surely you'd know this already.

Ever consider that if something is found, the inspector almost always recommends further inspection or evaluation? That is how it works. Also, maybe they aren't going to ask for repairs but are checking on repair costs so that they can forego asking but use the inspection as a negotiating leverage?

Almost always, haste makes waste and it is the prudent buyer who takes their time when asking for repairs because there is one bite at the apple. If you know your house is in good repair and has been maintained there is little to worry about.

Of course, if you know something about the condition that needs correction, that is another story.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 PM

549 posts, read 1,395,613 times
Alright, no repair request yet but I have the inspection report. This inspector listed a lot of crap that was not on the report when I bought the home, nor when I got it inspected before listing. Most of it is piddly crap, some of it is going to have to be repaired when the buyer makes the upgrades she already negotiated into the price, and some of it I just don't get why it's an issue. Maybe a lot of these are FYI things. She is meeting with her agent tonight to go over it. The only thing that annoys me is that we have wasted a week that I could have spent getting quotes/work done. If I had been told that they wouldn't be able to get around to giving me a request until the weekend, I'd have gone to visit my husband or sister or something. Instead, I've just been stuck here waiting while they kept saying they'd give it to me "tonight or tomorrow".

Old 02-15-2014, 08:49 AM

9,482 posts, read 8,752,639 times
Obviously, your buyers are rude and don't care if they inconvenience you. Also, they may be very sly, hoping by delaying that you may get nervous and accept a deal that is much to their advantage.

Our realtor told us it is better to give money at the closing for repairs instead of the seller contracting those repairs. Sometimes the seller's repairs are questioned or not accepted by the buyer. Cash back at the closing is easier and cleaner, if the real estate laws in your state allow that solution.

I've heard stories of inspectors reporting bogus problems or "repairs needed" to items the inspectors themselves have broken so they can list them.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:54 AM

49,928 posts, read 54,804,718 times
You are too emotional about it and taking it too personally. Trust me, you don't need to work yourself into this state of mind.

Just wait to see what they come back with. They are buying a used house. It won't be perfect, and it's not a personal reflection on you.

Let them make their request, you agree to ONLY what you want to agree to, and let them decide.

Keep the big picture in mind ... they obviously want the house.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:25 PM

659 posts, read 1,106,993 times
Quote:
Alright, no repair request yet but I have the inspection report. This inspector listed a lot of crap that was not on the report when I bought the home, nor when I got it inspected before listing. Most of it is piddly crap, some of it is going to have to be repaired when the buyer makes the upgrades she already negotiated into the price, and some of it I just don't get why it's an issue. Maybe a lot of these are FYI things. She is meeting with her agent tonight to go over it. The only thing that annoys me is that we have wasted a week that I could have spent getting quotes/work done. If I had been told that they wouldn't be able to get around to giving me a request until the weekend, I'd have gone to visit my husband or sister or something. Instead, I've just been stuck here waiting while they kept saying they'd give it to me "tonight or tomorrow".
Hmmm if the buyer is just now meeting with her agent then maybe there was a scheduling conflict and they just couldn't get together, Like Realtor having another job or not available in the evening when the buyer got off work.

Also, the inspectors list of repairs don't "have to be" done in order to sell the house. Often times if they are not deal breaker items for a specific loan type people will just but the house anyway. Previously enjoyed/ recycled/ used or whatever you want to call them houses are just that and its up to the buyer to decide if their offer price reflects that understanding and you don;t have to accept.

Contemplating selling a house that I no longer want to bother with. No FHA dealer breaker issues but plenty of issues none the less. Will probably just price it right and list it as is. Folks who want a perfect home need to buy new or attempt a custom build... what a headache this can be!

Hang in there! View their list and offer $1000 a closing and move on with things.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 AM

549 posts, read 1,395,613 times
^yeah, that's what I was planning to do anyway. We still don't have the request. Not sure what their excuse is now. I suppose it's possible that the buyer doesn't really want any repairs made but doesn't want to release the option to request some. Or they just don't want me to MAKE the repairs, would rather have a credit, which quite frankly I'd rather do too. Or there's the third option which is that the buyer is going to be a PITA right before closing. Regardless, there is nothing to do but wait for the DD to expire.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 PM

659 posts, read 1,106,993 times
Update?

Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,864,299 times
Quote:
^yeah, that's what I was planning to do anyway. We still don't have the request. Not sure what their excuse is now. I suppose it's possible that the buyer doesn't really want any repairs made but doesn't want to release the option to request some. Or they just don't want me to MAKE the repairs, would rather have a credit, which quite frankly I'd rather do too. Or there's the third option which is that the buyer is going to be a PITA right before closing. Regardless, there is nothing to do but wait for the DD to expire.
I'm going to throw out my opinion, as all I work with is buyers...

Typically, from my experience, when a buyer takes their time submitting a repair request, it is generally because they are researching/gathering cost quotes, especially if your buyer is going to have to make some of these repairs in relation to a remodel. Something unexpected could have come up in the inspection and they are trying to get cost estimates to factor into their decisions. I handle situations like this all the time, but I always communicate that to the other agent as well to keep the waters calm.

It could be the agent....some drag it out, some honestly just don't know what they are doing because they are just flat lazy and some just do not communicate with the other agent. I had an agent last year fail to have her sellers respond to my client's request for repairs within their timeframe and that seller got stuck with a large repair bill and was very upset about it....wasn't his fault except for the fact he hired an agent that was lazy and had no idea how to handle these contractual issues.

If a buyer wanted out, typically in my experience they don't want that delayed, they want that handled asap, especially if there is another property in play for them. I've never had a buyer drag the repair request out in that case to kill a deal, its not typically how they respond. But that's just my experience.

I guess we work a little different in my area (Huntsville, AL), we have the inspection period established in the contract for all inspections to be performed and the buyer HAS to respond within 3 days of the end of that period or their non response deems them in acceptance of the property AS-IS. During our inspection period, the buyer just cannot "walk" for any reason, and I would not want it that way. Once they respond, seller has two days to respond, and it goes from there on a 2 day back and forth period. Any non response from either side within their response period deems them in acceptance of what the other party has presented. Once that timeline passes the contingency is automatically removed from the contract.

Just remember...its a business transaction. Many times, sellers get frustrated with the buyer and visa versa (buyers with sellers) but in the end...take "feelings" and such out of it and look at it with the goal of finding an agreeable option for both parties to get your house closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate