U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 11:37 AM

549 posts, read 1,395,345 times

Advertisements

Got the request last night, finally. Most of it is reasonable, but there are a few items that I feel like we already valued at or near zero when negotiating the price, so I'm not inclined to fix them. The buyer is supposed to get us itemized costs so hopefully I can just throw money at them instead of coordinating all the work myself. I would not have been nearly as annoyed if the buyer's agent had just said up front that the buyer was going to comb through the list for 1-2 weeks before getting us a repair request. I'm annoyed that I sat around the house waiting for it when I could have spent that time scuba diving or visiting my husband. I think we may have had a case of a useless agent here. The agent that brought us the offer turns the deal over to her husband to close. My agent mentioned that he was much harder to get anything out of, while his wife had been rather responsive. Those kinds of arrangements always make me wonder. I assume there is a reason why one partner is bringing in the business and the other only gets involved once a contract is signed and the client is obligated.

I also just want to throw in here that I think 10 different inspectors will come up with 10 different lists of problems. There were a few things that were common between the inspection I got when I bought the house, when I put it on the market (pre sale inspection) and the buyer's inspection, but most of the "problems" were only caught by one, and some were missed by one but caught by the other two. I'm so glad I didn't go through my whole pre sale inspection and fix everything because that would have been a huge waste of time. I also think you need to leave a fair number of items for the inspector to find because no inspector is going to hand back a report saying everything is hunky dory. That would make him/her seem worthless to the customer, so they'll always find something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM

49,928 posts, read 54,791,612 times
You also don't have to agree to fix ANYTHING on their list.

It really depends on what it is.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:48 PM

3,298 posts, read 5,863,310 times
That's not always true.

Per our contract, anything that falls under heating, cooling, electrical, plumbing HAS to be in normal operating condition when title is passed....when they sign our sales contract the seller agrees to that, so if they refuse to correct those items they are in default.

Contracts vary state to state, area to area. In our state pretty much every association has its own contract documents and they can vary greatly.

It ultimately depends on what the contract between the parties stipulates in regards to repairs to the property.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:55 PM

We're in a no representation state (and I chose to give no representation on all the disclosure forms), so I'm pretty sure anything goes here.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM

3,298 posts, read 5,863,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
We're in a no representation state (and I chose to give no representation on all the disclosure forms), so I'm pretty sure anything goes here.

We are buyer beware with NO seller disclosures at all

Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,305,928 times
What is it with this "convenience" thing? Buying a house, or selling one is business. If anyone expects the other party to do things for your convenience, time for a reality check.

There is a reason for contracts. I note that the seller spoke about the latest inspector listing "crap" that wasn't on the inspection report when they bought the house nor on the pre-sale inspection. So what? Maybe those inspectors didn't do as thorough a job but that doesn't matter, the reality is this one found things they believe require attention.

Really, if you can't handle the process, bug out and keep the house.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 PM

You're entitled to your opinion, but being as I am the only person paying either agent, I do in fact expect them to make things convenient for me to the best of their ability.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Status: "Making the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 23 days ago)

40,774 posts, read 70,629,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, but being as I am the only person paying either agent, I do in fact expect them to make things convenient for me to the best of their ability.
Absolutely, as far as one of the agents goes.
Expect no less from YOUR agent.

The other agent owes you little, if any, convenience, unless it conveys value to his/her client.
You are paying the other agent only to bring a buyer to closing.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Absolutely, as far as one of the agents goes.
Expect no less from YOUR agent.

The other agent owes you little, if any, convenience, unless it conveys value to his/her client.
You are paying the other agent only to bring a buyer to closing.
If his lack of communication scuttles the deal, he has done her no favors. I felt things were going very well with the other agent during the price negotiations, but since we've been dealing with this guy there have been several things mis or not communicated to my agent THAT WE KNOW OF. Of course, the buyer will never hear about it.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:47 PM

49,928 posts, read 54,791,612 times
I have seen a few real estate couples teams where the wife does the more social side of the deal, initially meeting with buyers, coordinating schedules and showing houses, and then the husband takes over the negotiation and closing side.

Ideally they both should be good communicators, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate