Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,761,557 times

Advertisements

Virtually all new construction in my area of New England is two story homes. Virtually all newer homes (under 30 years old) are two story. Ranches can be found sometimes in over 55 communities, although many of those have main level master bedrooms down and guest room up.

Even condos are often drive in garage and foyer main level, kitchen/ living room, next level up and bedrooms above that. Lots of stairs every day.

The only ranches I've seen are small, starter type homes ( under 1300 or so ) square feet, here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 PM

396 posts, read 1,105,369 times
In the southeast they are more common, in the DC metro area they are not--condos, townhomes with lots of stairs and enormous houses are more common. So, we have not yet purchased a house!

Looking for those new one story homes and there are very few to be found. Guess I will have to wait until the younger generation (who want smaller houses) pressures the builders.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:09 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,266,727 times
Just like everyone has said. 1 story homes need more land which is getting more expensive each year. In Houston most new construction is two story and we have relatively cheap land in most places.

Also a one story house costs about 30% more to build for the same square footage. The increase in cost is due to additional foundation, plumbing, and roof.

I am building right now and even though I have a large lot, I still built a 2 story...I like the more grand look of a 2 story, but I also really want the yard! I did however take into consideration that I have aging parents and in laws, so I built an elevator shaft...I did not put in an elevator, but the foundation and electrical were all pre-completed. The shaft was just made into two closets with a floor insert. If something ever happens and I need to convert it to an elevator all I have to do is install it and be done.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:34 PM

24 posts, read 48,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Just like everyone has said. 1 story homes need more land which is getting more expensive each year. In Houston most new construction is two story and we have relatively cheap land in most places.

Also a one story house costs about 30% more to build for the same square footage. The increase in cost is due to additional foundation, plumbing, and roof.

I am building right now and even though I have a large lot, I still built a 2 story...I like the more grand look of a 2 story, but I also really want the yard! I did however take into consideration that I have aging parents and in laws, so I built an elevator shaft...I did not put in an elevator, but the foundation and electrical were all pre-completed. The shaft was just made into two closets with a floor insert. If something ever happens and I need to convert it to an elevator all I have to do is install it and be done.
I'm in Houston too and am currently building a "1.5" story. So while it was based off a one story plan and most of the bedrooms are on the first floor (including master and guest suite), we did put a bonus/media room upstairs and an extra bedroom for future kids. It still looks mostly like a one story from the outside and with aging/handicapped parents it made sense to have an easily accessible first floor guest suite. I'm guessing with all the boomers retiring it'll be more in demand to have as much as possible on the first floor.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:08 PM

335 posts, read 620,064 times
I grew up in a 2 story, husband in a 1 story. Had a 2 story for our first home in FL, and after dealing with climbing up to put hurricane shutters on, DH declared our next house would be a 1 story. I loved the 1-story house, (and it WAS easier to put up shutters), but it creeped me out sleeping on the first floor, as I was so used to sleeping upstairs.

So I declared our house in CA must be 2 story. I will admit, my legs were KILLING me at first, since I was not used to the stairs, but now I'm fine and I love it. The view is better from upstairs, too. (Ok, it does get HOT upstairs, I will admit!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Funny, my parents have a 2 story that they grew up in and I mentioned they should think about a 1 story. My Dad talked for about 5 minutes how important exercise is and that doing even a few stairs a day uses muscles he doesn't use on his daily walks.
Your father is right! I have heard that living in a 2 story home adds 10 years to your life!

My MIL can't handle stairs because of all the years living in a 1-story home. From not using the muscles that are used to go up steps, you lose the ability to do so. Well,my MIL was forced to use stairs when we rented a beach house in NJ and there was no way to avoid them. She complained at first, then said it was getting easier.

I have seen a lot of newer homes here in CA market to the baby boomers and older, and they are building a lot of single story homes.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:13 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
I like living in a 2 story. I'd actually prefer a 3 story more. Something about the view and noise reduction. And it may be hot in the summer, but it's more comfortable than downstairs in winter. And our average annual temperature is 59 F / 15 C, and room temperature is about 70 F / 21 C, so most of the year upstairs comes out ahead!

Old 02-19-2014, 12:46 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
In the mid west and North East, I don't see any single floor homes being constructed now, except in very low end markets. They haven't built many since the 70s.

Colonials seem like the most popular style of home around here. Or center hall neo-Victorians with a Colonial layout.

I happen to love 1950s mid century modern brick ranches with glass wall windows and central double sided fireplaces, though.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Most homes in the southern states are 1 story.

LOL this is not true at all.

We have central air-conditioning now, you know.

Enter "2 story" in this property search site and see how many records come up:

Moderator cut: url removed

Last edited by Marka; 03-02-2014 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 12:19 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
1-story is not common around here. Most houses are 2 floors above ground plus basement. I actually don't think I have ever been in a house around here that completely lacked a stairway anywhere in the place. Even places considered single story all have basements, and nearly all have some sort of half-story upstairs as well.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Funny, my parents have a 2 story that they grew up in and I mentioned they should think about a 1 story. My Dad talked for about 5 minutes how important exercise is and that doing even a few stairs a day uses muscles he doesn't use on his daily walks.

Whenever my kids move out I won't own a SF house, just a condo or townhome.
Sounds good but we all slow down if we live long enough. If your dad gets a bum knee, he'll think differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate