Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 AM

93 posts, read 254,880 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new construction home. After 1 month of closing, I had a water leak in the attic and a flooded bedroom below. It was from the AC condenser up there because it was not installed properly by the builder during construction. The builder "forgot" to connect the primary drain line due to negligence. The condenser was literally dumping water directly on to the attic drywall. I got wet carpet and mold issues as a result. The builder is taking care of the problem under warranty. Part of the attic drywall has to be removed and replaced. Repairmen are coming in and out everyday and turning my new home into a construction zone. This is affecting my quality of life. I'm also concerned about structural damage, potential loss in resale value and health issues from inhaling the mold before the drainage defect was discovered. What recourse do I have? Do I have a case if I sue the builder for professional negligence? I'm getting nothing but grief from the new house and I want to get compensated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 06:18 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Anyone can sue anyone for anything, whether you'll be successful is another issue. You have to PROVE YOUR DAMAGES which a lot of people seem to forget. Negligent! Liable! Even if your builder admits he is 100% negligent and liable, what are your damages (THAT YOU CAN PROVE). You should probably talk to an attorney about that.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:19 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,580,236 times
Compensated for what?

Listen. You’re going to have to prove actual damages - and it sounds like they’re repairing everything.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:25 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
If you can prove structural damage, have the builder take care of it under warranty.

Why would this result in a lower resale value in the future? How would you quantify this, and how would you prove that? When exactly are you going to sell your house, and who is going to offer less for it? Please be specific, because the judge will want you to be.

What health damage? Mold exists everywhere. Where are your samplings that the mold in the living area of the house it at a higher level than would be expected? Did you sample your neighbor’s houses at the same time to establish a baseline? What evidence do you have that any mold spores are harmful to human health, vs the millions that are completely benign.

You sound like a litigious whiner.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:45 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
It's a bummer, I agree, to have the house under construction.

But so far, they are already doing what you should reasonably expect them to do. You should sue, if they DON'T do that.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:52 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Is it reasonable for them to pay for you to stay in a hotel while they do the repairs? You might make that request if you would prefer that.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:04 PM

133 posts, read 87,722 times
As the others have stated, the builder is fixing the issue. Other than inconvenience, you are being made whole and you haven't experienced any provable losses so suing for more than the repairs would probably be a fool's errand and waste of time. The builder has been responsive and is taking care of the issue. There is no expectation to go through life hassle free.

The only thing I could see you asking for would be a nearby hotel stay until the work is completed, but if the work is isolated to one bedroom, that's probably not a reasonable request either. Now if they had to shut off the water, power, A/C to the whole house for several days straight, then that's different...but I assume you would have mentioned that.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:25 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,528 times
If they’re fixing it, there isn’t anything to sue over. I’d only be concerned if they didn’t fix it. Otherwise the inconvenience is the way it goes.

I’m living in a construction zone right now with all my kids, I get the hassle. But that’s life.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:07 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,928 times
Is this something your home inspector missed? No recourse with the home inspector either, but something like that is pretty obvious and should have been identified.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:36 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Sue for construction covered by warranty work, not gonna happen. First you'll have to put up a minimum $5000.00 attorney fee to start the process, and then there would be many expenses after that, and you'd more than likely have the case thrown out as a frivolous case unless you can prove negligence. In this case most if not all attorneys would turn this case down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate