Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times

Advertisements

Can't decide between these two homes:

A. built in 1996. 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage. New kitchen-granite, new appliances, new flooring (linolium though) great corner lot with deck and screened in gazebo. basement is not finished but does have walk out. about 2000sqft

b. built in 1993? 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 2 car garage. kitchen needs complete overhaul. nice lot with florida room. basement is finished with an additional bedroom and wetbar (don't really care for that) about 3000sqft

both in nice neighborhoods. A is priced $25K more than B. We think we can get B to come down more. A is owner/agent so not sure how much negotiating power there is. A has higher HOA but includes a few more items.

I know this is limited info but would you go with A which is much smaller and finish the basement or go with B and re-do the kitchen? B is in a much more mature neighborhood with homes ranging from $500K-$1Million. A range from $500K to $750K or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:49 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,284 times
Well, when I've had a good night's sleep the night before and I'm clear in my head, when I'm asked this I give the really smart answer that a good agent should give...

Which home and neighborhood do you think will you be more happy to live in for the next five or ten years...or for the rest of your life?

Of course, there are times when I'm asked this and I haven't had a full night's sleep, or I'm off my game and I give the dumb, but direct, answer...

I'd go with the smaller house. I had the big house and ended up hating it because I could never keep the whole place clean, the utilities were horrendous and the cost of completely furnishing every square foot to my liking was bank-breaking.

Hope one of these helps.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
Without knowing more, I would think house B would be a better investment. You could probably put in a new kitchen just over the $25k price difference and you get the additional space which you won't to spend money have to finish. It just depends which home you and your family would feel the most comfortable in.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:09 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Twinma, I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell my clients:
I'm sorry, I can't make that decision for you. It's your home and your decision and I want you to be happy. If you're happy, I'm happy and I trust your judgment. Now once you decide which home you want, I'm going to do everything I can to help you get that home and at the best price possible.

(okay, I'm not really doing the last part for you but you get it but we know you'll make a sound, informed decision because you've shown wisdom here in the past.)

Old 12-03-2007, 04:26 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post

A. built in 1996. 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage. New kitchen-granite, new appliances, new flooring (linolium though) great corner lot with deck and screened in gazebo. basement is not finished but does have walk out. about 2000sqft

b. built in 1993? 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 2 car garage. kitchen needs complete overhaul. nice lot with florida room. basement is finished with an additional bedroom and wetbar (don't really care for that) about 3000sqft

both in nice neighborhoods. A is priced $25K more than B. We think we can get B to come down more. A is owner/agent so not sure how much negotiating power there is. A has higher HOA but includes a few more items.

I know this is limited info but would you go with A which is much smaller and finish the basement or go with B and re-do the kitchen? B is in a much more mature neighborhood with homes ranging from $500K-$1Million. A range from $500K to $750K or so.
Well, I don't know your likes, dislikes, or family size. So I will pretend it's me in this situation.

B sounds like it's cheaper to buy, cheaper to live in (the HOA), and in a better neighborhood. I have a family with two growing boys, would like to have another child, and have family in town that often comes over. Without a doubt I would buy house B and just do the kitchen with the money I saved from House A.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:01 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
I'd go with B as well unless the amenities that A neighborhood offers are important to you. 3 full bathrooms is better for resale than 2 full bathrooms. Are the 2 homes of similar quality construction? B is much less expensive (based on cost per sq. ft.), so you'll want to make sure that the quality is there.

Remember, one of the key rules of making money in real estate is to buy the worst home in the best neighborhood and fix it up.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,288 times
Quote:

If I were looking at these two homes (based on my own wants, needs and family - no children). I would go with A. Again this is based on my own needs. No children - no need for 3000sf of space, corner lot - priceless, new kitchen - less work for me after i move in, unfinished basement - can be finished to fit MY family's needs, gazebo (which i LOVE) - priceless to me. i wouldn't be phased by a home being owned by an agent and would negotiate as i see fit. agents need to live somewhere too. This is all based on my own personal needs/wants.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
thanks!

I think we are making an offer on B. A is 2100sqft (found out info today) and B is 2700sqft PLUS 900 finished basement. We have toddler twins, so space is an issue for us. I think A would be PERFECT if we didn't have kids, a lab dog, and a cat!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Twinma, I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell my clients:
I'm sorry, I can't make that decision for you. It's your home and your decision and I want you to be happy. If you're happy, I'm happy and I trust your judgment. Now once you decide which home you want, I'm going to do everything I can to help you get that home and at the best price possible.
I like this answer.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM

781 posts, read 3,816,326 times
Quote:
thanks!

I think we are making an offer on B. A is 2100sqft (found out info today) and B is 2700sqft PLUS 900 finished basement. We have toddler twins, so space is an issue for us. I think A would be PERFECT if we didn't have kids, a lab dog, and a cat!
Good Luck......with a growing family House B is a better choice for your needs. I know....two teenagers and almost 4000 sq ft and there still is not enough room when they have friends over and the dogs (3) are running around......my hubby and I escape to our master suite for some peace and quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate