Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:11 PM

319 posts, read 610,236 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at buying a new home in a small infill development in my neighborhood. The plot of land is adjacent to an existing creek. There's 30yo houses on one side of it already. The lot I'm looking at wouldn't back the creek - it'd be across the street from it. The road is a 1-way road, though, so not a big one. Should I be concerned about flooding? What about soil quality? Or should I just trust that the builder and city will ensure that the house will be sound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 12:19 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Find out the flood zone here:
https://msc.fema.gov/webapp/wcs/stor...e+Designations

Work from there.

If you are in a flood risk zone (usually the 100 year flood plain) your mortgage holder will require flood insurance.
If you are building or doing substantial remodeling you may have to raise the house above the average high water mark plus 2 feet. All utilities like furnace, water heater, etc. will have to be at that level or above. If you have a space which is tall enough to use as a room you can not put anything habitable in it although it may be used as garage or moveable storage space. The contents might not be covered in the event of a flood.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:28 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default Remember what Saint Regan said

Quote:
Originally Posted by balor123 View Post
should I just trust that the builder and city will ensure that the house will be sound?
Trust, but verify.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
NEVER trust the builder. Always verify on your own.

The way I look at it ... if it were a truly great, buildable lot with NO problems, the guy who built the other houses 30 years ago would have built on it.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:47 PM

How can I go about verifying? That link seems to just list zone codes. Where can I see them on a map to see if it impacts this area? It's a spec home btw. I found this map for my county:

Flood Pro

I can't see the codes but I added the FEMA floodplain layer and see some stuff pop up. Nothing pops up in this area.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
NEVER trust the builder. Always verify on your own.

The way I look at it ... if it were a truly great, buildable lot with NO problems, the guy who built the other houses 30 years ago would have built on it.
The builder will be buying one of the homes in the development actually, along with 2 other employees. However, my guess is theirs are going to be at the opposite end of the development. This area used to be filled with ranches and as the city grew the ranches have slowly been selling off the land. There's not much left in this neighborhood but this is one of the pieces. Actually, it's the front yard of one of the remaining ranches.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:50 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Look at FEMA and also look at the township maps. Our township includes flood areas.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:16 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Your local gov't (Town, county, etc) Department of Planning should be able to show you the flood plain maps

Old 03-02-2014, 01:21 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
I'm looking at buying a new home in a small infill development in my neighborhood. The plot of land is adjacent to an existing creek. There's 30yo houses on one side of it already. The lot I'm looking at wouldn't back the creek - it'd be across the street from it. The road is a 1-way road, though, so not a big one. Should I be concerned about flooding? What about soil quality? Or should I just trust that the builder and city will ensure that the house will be sound?
Yes you should be concerned. Not just for flooding but for high water table, dampness rising up inside the house etc.

I've worked in MANY homes near water/creeks and the moment I walk inside I can detect the dampness and get an itchy nose. This doesn't happen to me on the Intracoastal, Beach or other large bodies of water.

I would hire an engineer type person to give an objective assessment.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Quote:
Where can I see them on a map to see if it impacts this area?
Check with the city to see if they have federal flood hazard maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate