Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

I didn't even bother reading most of that enormous, lumpy paragraph. What made me laugh was this:

"I'm the seller along with my husband and we are divorced selling the MARTIAL home we received an offer on my home and my husband and I need to counter in speaking with my husband I counter $398,000 he was at $395."

Marital/martial (law). What a heck of a typewritten Freudian slip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
I liked that she "received an offer on my home and my husband and I need to counter " ..

I say take the offer and SELL 'em BOTH !

Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
Got the gist at "martial home". Can't you choose whether to sign the contract or not?

A few years ago where I lived a couple of divorcing couples had wording in their sale contracts that "funds to be dispersed to [husband] and [wife] in this manner per [whatever...divorce agreement or whatever was signed]: 50% each or 70% to [wife] and 30% to [husband]. Haven't had the occasion to know if that's still done anywhere.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:19 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Got the gist at "martial home". Can't you choose whether to sign the contract or not?

A few years ago where I lived a couple of divorcing couples had wording in their sale contracts that "funds to be dispersed to [husband] and [wife] in this manner per [whatever...divorce agreement or whatever was signed]: 50% each or 70% to [wife] and 30% to [husband]. Haven't had the occasion to know if that's still done anywhere.
I think that's the way it still is. The divorce decree is the final word in everything. I wouldn't buy a home from a divorcing couple if it was the last home on earth, that's for sure.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:31 AM

120 posts, read 215,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I think that's the way it still is. The divorce decree is the final word in everything. I wouldn't buy a home from a divorcing couple if it was the last home on earth, that's for sure.

I have to laugh at this statement because it is so true! We are currently buying a home from a divorced couple and it is a court ordered short sale as well. I don't know if it will end up working out in the end but we love the house and hope the couple can work things out with the banks and each other to help the sale close.

OP- cut the small loss and just get the house sold. It is hardly worth the time and effort and will likely cost much more in the end if you fight it. Good luck with your sale

Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
I feel really bad for your agent.

The last time we had a situation like this, we told our clients to go away and figure things out with their attorneys and come back and see us when they were on the same page. They couldn't agree on anything, and we had NO interest in being their mediator. We found out they never were able to agree and from what I heard, the judge ended up setting the sales price. We didn't end up representing them, and we weren't sad about it.

I'm sure their legal fees cost more than the amount they were bickering on about the sales price of the house.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.lee View Post
Yeah it ended with the 21 year old on the pool table friends with my daughter and his attorney saying I'm a drug addict to get 50/50 of the kids. But it didn't work I have them so this is attorney's last straw to have her friend run everything and not let me counter!!! I just think you should treat people with respect and honesty we'll I think it called KARMA that will come back to get them!!! Thanks to all!!
If his attorney get hold of this thread, he may have some additional 'evidence' to back up his claim. Sheesh.

OP: Let it go. Move on with your life. Play nice for the sake of your kids.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:40 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
You also do have the option of just telling your ex your bottom line, and that you will not go below that. It's early in the spring. There will be other offers. They have to get your signature for the sale to go through.
In the meantime there are mortgage payments and taxes to pay. I wouldn't hassle over a measly $3,000. This is a control battle, nothing more. Sell for a reasonable offer and move on.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 6,212 times
NOT the agent's problem. You and your ex should have come to an agreement ahead of time on what your lowest selling price would be. Your real estate agent is not a divorce mediator.
And please use some punctuation...I really had a hard time reading your posts.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:24 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnet2 View Post
NOT the agent's problem. You and your ex should have come to an agreement ahead of time on what your lowest selling price would be. Your real estate agent is not a divorce mediator.
And please use some punctuation...I really had a hard time reading your posts.
A polite suggestion for you: please don't reactivate 2 year old threads for tiny comments and advice that more than likely was already offered by another poster in a more timely manner. . (actually, I wish we had an emoticon for smacking somebody else upside da head!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate