Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:22 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
It is a preference.
Quote:
Not to offend anyone
Quote:
its absurd to need "dedicated space"
Quote:
Because you are too spoiled to eat in the kitchen (heaven forbid!)? Come on now.
You're contradicting yourself.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM

311 posts, read 450,884 times
We're talking about the USA here, not Tokyo. Of course Americans can afford, and rightfully so, want more space. I too have lived in NY just fine with 2 other roommates sharing a tiny apartment and bathroom (and because of this living situation, none of us were ever in the apartment for long because it was just so small), but once you leave the city your expectations are different.

It's like asking why do Americans drive suburbans, trucks, and SUVs? Why are there 18 wheelers everywhere, when abroad the largest car you would see to haul things around is a van? Do Americans really need to drive a car larger than a smart car? If you do drive one larger than that, I would like to hear your explanation.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:33 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,982 times
Because in the US of A, people are ingrained with "bigger is better" mentality from the moment they are born.

This leads to obese people - the majority of the population, obese cars - ex. S(tupid) U(seless) V(ehicles),
and obese houses - aka McMansions.

Some of the previous comments, such as "I need a separate sewing room", or "space for each other" are exemplifications of that mental disorder.

As (almost) every US American knows, the world starts in NYC and ends in LA, so it's inconceivable that somebody, somewhere else on the planet has a better recipe for life.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:55 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
It is a preference. Exactly that.

Not to offend anyone, but I think its absurd to need "dedicated space" because you somehow feel that a desk in the corner of a room is not quite good enough for your office. Are you running an empire from this home office? Are you Oprah? Martha Stewart? Probably not.

I do think if you have hobbies which require a lot of space, that is a decent reason to need more of it. Kids? Yes. Another decent reason. Because you are too spoiled to eat in the kitchen (heaven forbid!)? Come on now.
I have for my office what is referred to as a "double parlor" in its original configuration. I have three businesses I run from home. I just call it a great room.

The original kitchen to the house was located first in the basement. Somewhere along the line it was relocated to an ell which I demolished. A circa 1880's kitchen was carved out of space in the back of the house. This kitchen is what I use now. It is attached to a butler's pantry which is attached to the dining room. I'd have to demo the pantry to have an eat-in kitchen.

Growing up.... I think we only had one eat-in kitchen that I can recall. But we all didn't fit in it at the same time. Therefore, we ate in the dining room.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:02 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,480 times
I think that subconsciously people think that having a ton of square footage is more "luxurious" or "high class". It symbolizes success and wealth. This is what KB zoned in on in the 90's and 2000s. They built homes that were 3000+ square feet, and the space was useless, and the materials poor. I also feel prey to this, and live in a 4 bedroom 3 bath house (2300 SQ), by myself... Bad decision.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:10 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Do you actually have a curiosity about what people do with their space, or are you just kvetching about someone who wants something you don't happen to want?

I can't see any reason in the world someone would want a two-seat automobile, but I wouldn't bother to kvetch at length about it.

Personally, I like having an exercise room, a small-craft room, a woodworking shop, two extra bedrooms for visiting family and friends, a "parlor" (a special room for entertaining casual visitors), a formal dining room, a family room (where casual visitors don't go), a computer room for me, and a tax-deductable office for my work-at-home wife.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
That's a bit of a generalization. When I was single, and now that I am part of a couple, I never wanted a lot of space. First of all, it is just more space to clean and accumulate "stuff" in. Second of all, smaller feels cozier, which I prefer. Third--I just don't need more space than necessary to live. I also prefer smaller cars rather than giant SUVs or trucks. I watch a lot of House Hunters International, which often consists of only a couple, and they always want a second bedroom and a large living space for "entertaining." Seriously, they often say that, and we laugh when these couples moving to a European country (known for smaller spaces) talk about all the space they need for entertaining. Just find it kind of amusing--like the place isn't for them, but for their guests.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:13 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
For DINKS that want a large house, I think it is because
1. They work like dogs and need a BIG REWARD and REASON for doing so, and
2. It is a status symbol, to wit "See, NOT what I need, but what I WANT and can easily AFFORD"!

When they get a dog (and they eventually will) it will be a very expensive breed as well...and they will call her "Eliana".

Old 03-06-2014, 05:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Do you actually have a curiosity about what people do with their space, or are you just kvetching about someone who wants something you don't happen to want?

I can't see any reason in the world someone would want a two-seat automobile, but I wouldn't bother to kvetch at length about it.

Personally, I like having an exercise room, a small-craft room, a woodworking shop, two extra bedrooms for visiting family and friends, a "parlor" (a special room for entertaining casual visitors), a formal dining room, a family room (where casual visitors don't go), a computer room for me, and a tax-deductable office for my work-at-home wife.
This whole post made me laugh and laugh.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:24 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,853,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Because in the US of A, people are ingrained with "bigger is better" mentality from the moment they are born.

This leads to obese people - the majority of the population, obese cars - ex. S(tupid) U(seless) V(ehicles),
and obese houses - aka McMansions.

Some of the previous comments, such as "I need a separate sewing room", or "space for each other" are exemplifications of that mental disorder.

As (almost) every US American knows, the world starts in NYC and ends in LA, so it's inconceivable that somebody, somewhere else on the planet has a better recipe for life.
Well said.

I think people don't really examine their need for more more more more more. Its never about what will actually work for your lifestyle or what is really required. Its about this entitlement to stuff that people see as desirable. Somehow if my house/car/meal is bigger than other peoples, I am worth more than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate