Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 07:26 AM

508 posts, read 663,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Wow, and I want to change the locks on the rental for safety, I would read her the riot act no matter how old. Someone should reminder her that she could be mistaken as an intruder, and people do own guns.
She's not that old - she's about my age, mid-50's perhaps. She's loony, not senile. She still thinks she owns this house, and she thinks that gives her free reign to come and go as she pleases, without regard for our convenience or comfort. She doesn't acknowledge the difference between ownership (which she doesn't have anyway) and the rights of tenancy.

It's a big mess, having to deal with her. There are all SORTS of things she's done that were shady, nefarious, and outright lies. We were unloading the van after moving halfway across the country when we discovered that not only had she not fixed anything after the last tenant vacated, she had no INTENTION of fixing anything.

There was no key to the back door - the entrance I would have to use on those days when I am not well enough to manage the stairs (its a walkout basement). And we were told NOT TO USE THE FRONT DOOR because the key to it didn't work from the outside. We were supposed to go in and out through the garage door instead. Which, btw, has the wrong sort of strike plate on it so a 3 year old can pop it open with a coloring book cover.

She's been read the riot act, more than once. It does no good. It's like water off a duck. I am very much looking forward to getting out of here. We haven't even bothered to unpack half our stuff, it was that obvious from day one that staying here was not an option, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Sooo... Who owns the house? If you are just leasing, the owner does indeed own the house.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Did the pictures taken include some "illegal" possessions like a pot growing operation?

Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
I find it telling that the OP referred to the property owner as the "landowner". There appears to be a riff between the owner and the tenant. Like others have said - read your lease. The current property owner and anyone the property is sold to is typically required to honor any binding lease in place. The tenant is as well. Your real problem is that there is no truthful and open dialogue between you and the owner.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Well, apparently they CAN -- as they have demonstrated.

The question is SHOULD they? If it's in the lease, then yes, they have the right to do so, as part of reasonable efforts to sell said dwelling.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
She's not that old - she's about my age, mid-50's perhaps. She's loony, not senile. She still thinks she owns this house, and she thinks that gives her free reign to come and go as she pleases, without regard for our convenience or comfort. She doesn't acknowledge the difference between ownership (which she doesn't have anyway) and the rights of tenancy.

It's a big mess, having to deal with her. There are all SORTS of things she's done that were shady, nefarious, and outright lies. We were unloading the van after moving halfway across the country when we discovered that not only had she not fixed anything after the last tenant vacated, she had no INTENTION of fixing anything.

There was no key to the back door - the entrance I would have to use on those days when I am not well enough to manage the stairs (its a walkout basement). And we were told NOT TO USE THE FRONT DOOR because the key to it didn't work from the outside. We were supposed to go in and out through the garage door instead. Which, btw, has the wrong sort of strike plate on it so a 3 year old can pop it open with a coloring book cover.

She's been read the riot act, more than once. It does no good. It's like water off a duck. I am very much looking forward to getting out of here. We haven't even bothered to unpack half our stuff, it was that obvious from day one that staying here was not an option, LOL!
Two words......Code Enforcement. Doors and locks are a big deal....fire code and safety types of things.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:32 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by answermyquestionplease View Post
The landowner got into a dispute with us and we haven't been on greatest terms. The other day she said someone was coming in to check if "the house had termites". A man did come and took photographs of the home and stated it was for "insurance" purposes. Of course, we thought this was strange, so we googled our address and found that the property was listed for sale. Unfortunately, we didn't agree to have our personal belonging posted to the internet, I have been reading that this cannot happen without the consent of the tenants. What action would you recommend I take? Not only did she lie about who was coming to our house, she had the man lie to us about the photographs and then posted them online without permission. So, has anything similar happened to anyone? I understand that it is her property and it really isn't a big deal that she is selling it, but it is upsetting that our privacy was invaded and we were lied to about the purpose of this mans visit.
You're kidding, right? An owner needs a tenant's "permission" to list their own property for sale? Hardly.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
You're kidding, right? An owner needs a tenant's "permission" to list their own property for sale? Hardly.
As I read it, the selling of the property is not the issue (from the OP: I understand that it is her property and it really isn't a big deal that she is selling it, ), but the underhanded way of taking photos of the tenant's possessions without the tenant's permission or notice and posting them online, to the point of lying to the tenant about why the man was in the house taking photos.

If the tenant had been given notice that the house was going to be sold and that photos would be taken for that purpose, they might have been able to make arrangements to put away anything that they didn't want the entire world knowing they had in case someone should see it online and decide they'd like to steal it.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:23 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
A new lock is $9 at home depot. You dont need a key to change a lock. I would have changed them on the day I moved in. Very simple and cheap solution to this issue.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I agree that the LL has done nothing legally wrong.

I also agree that the landlord acted in a very unprofessional (and probably unethical) manner in lying about the purpose of the visit and not notifying the tenant about a sale. How do they expect to have showings without the tenant's cooperation?
Quote:

She's not that old - she's about my age, mid-50's perhaps. She's loony, not
senile. She still thinks she owns this house, and she thinks that gives her
free reign to come and go as she pleases, without regard for our convenience or
comfort. She doesn't acknowledge the difference between ownership (which she
doesn't have anyway
) and the rights of tenancy.
No idea what you mean by the bolded parts. Does she own the house or not? If you are the tenant, you do know you don't own the property, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate