Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times

Advertisements

Our sellers were not at the closing. They signed before us. Actually it's common, around here, for the seller and buyer to never meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I sold several homes without being at closing (usually due to moving out of state). But I've bought/sold a few where I was "around the table". In one case, it was completely awkward because my Seller had pulled some fast ones regarding furniture he had promised to leave, so by the time of closing, I was so furious with him I didn't even want to look at him. In another case, I was selling a condo in a vacation area during the real-estate collapse. The buyers, a very nice couple, were asking me questions and I was soooo afraid I'd say something wrong and the whole deal would go awry. At one point they asked me if I had a dog (which I had done my best to conceal during showings). Uh oh, my mind is racing, why are they asking me this. I said yes and the woman said, "Oh yes, we thought so, we saw the dog bowl in the cabinet." This is all before the transaction was officially done, so I was a nervous wreck. Just go along with the plan.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:02 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,266,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In my 14 years, only 2 transactions were done at one table, and it was the most uncomfortable closings I've ever had. Never again will buyers and sellers sit at the same table when I'm involved. It's not natural. There is already too much hostility of someone wanting top dollar and someone wanting rock-bottom price. It's never a win/win in their eyes. Sellers will still think they're selling too low and buyers will still think they're paying too much.

Horrible, horrible to have both parties in the same room. Mail-outs are done all the time when the sellers have already moved, or the buyers are relocating and can't get into town just to sign papers as they're coordinating their move from their current city.

We have both parties at the table the majority of the time in our area. I've had a few that were a bit contentious, but overall they have gone very well. Sometimes we just put the buyer and seller in separate rooms.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:18 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
I know you have your answer, but I'll add my situation. I bought in MO. from CA. by FedEx, no problems what so ever. Good luck and enjoy your new home.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:43 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
In my 14 years, only 2 transactions were done at one table, and it was the most uncomfortable closings I've ever had. Never again will buyers and sellers sit at the same table when I'm involved. It's not natural. There is already too much hostility of someone wanting top dollar and someone wanting rock-bottom price. It's never a win/win in their eyes. Sellers will still think they're selling too low and buyers will still think they're paying too much.

Horrible, horrible to have both parties in the same room. Mail-outs are done all the time when the sellers have already moved, or the buyers are relocating and can't get into town just to sign papers as they're coordinating their move from their current city.
Maybe that's a good sale then ...it makes me wonder if this describes most real estate transactions.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artking09 View Post
I am in the attorney review stage. Sellers's attorney sent my attorney a letter requesting they (sellers and sellers' attorney) do the closing thru FedEx, ie. sellers will pre-sign all the closing documents in front of seller attorney, then sellers' attorney will FedEx all closing documents to my attorney during closing date. The reason is that they think my attorney's office is too far away. In fact, it is 35 miles, mainly on highway, so they can get there within 40 min if not in rush hour.

This is weird. So why do they want to do this?? Buyers, sellers and attorneys should all sit around one table to sign off at the same time. I am worried that if they make a mistake or something happens, the deal may not close on time. Have anyone finished closing like this before? Thanks.
I have bought and sold 4 homes without ever seeing parties nor attorney's involved.If needed we would give power of attorney to attorney.Documents were handled thru fax's or PDF,never a problem.All paperwork is exact,we do overnight mail or wire transfer to attorney's escrow account,no magic.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:50 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
We just bought a home in FL, live in Texas. The title company engaged a notary who printed out all the docs, did the signatures, and emailed/faxed the package back to the title company. We sold a home, just went down to my bank, signed the few docs that needed notarization, and shipped the package back to the title company by FedEx.

We never, never, never ever let the buyer and seller meet at the closing table. The idea is to close the sale. Way too many bad things can happen if buyer and seller meet. Wife decides she doesn't like the buyers, buyer makes a comment on the wallpaper, boom! Deal blows up.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
It's pretty common these days -- no need to feel as if something shady is going on. As long as all the papers are signed, why do you care where they are signed?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:41 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
We did our closing via FedEx because DH & I were both in other states at the time (there's only so much time off you can get off work, and we'd used all of ours for house hunting in the first place!). It worked out just fine

Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Not that uncommon. I have bought 5 homes. Most of my home closings were done at the table. It was the norm for my area at that time. I found the closings where the parties sat across from each other to the most uncomfortable. I had one buyer talk about how she was going to rip out the bathroom we just remodeled and put carpet in the house because she hates hardwood floors. I bit my tongue. I would have preferred not to know of her plans. Sometimes we were in separate rooms which wasn't too bad except for the wait in the lobby. I had two closings done via fax, my preference. I prefer not to see the buyers or sellers at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate