Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 06:49 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
From a bank account of course. But it isn't like the auction company can go to Wells Fargo, present a cashier's check and get the SS# of the person who purchased that check.
And that bank has his SS# on file. So in a nutshell, you can't buy it without disclosing your SS# to someone, somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:08 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
I am fascinated by this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Our community has been devolving to outright barter since there is no bank within 50 miles anymore. If you stopped most people in town and saw the contents of their wallet, it would mostly be blank postal money orders.
Blank? How does that work? Normally, money orders are only issued for specific amounts: You give the post office $49.99 and they give you a money order for $49.99 (minus some fee).

Quote:
From a bank account of course. But it isn't like the auction company can go to Wells Fargo, present a cashier's check and get the SS# of the person who purchased that check.
So you are figuring the OP wants to keep his SSN secret from the auction company, but not keep the transaction secret from the government? Why do you think that? I mean it could be true, I just don't know how you got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
While you may get past the title/closing company, you likely will not get past the municipality. I've never lived anywhere that did not require a certificate of occupancy, which in turn required a SSN for local tax purposes. Good luck.
I've never lived anywhere that did certificates of occupancy for existing houses -- only for new construction -- and those are issued to the builder, not the buyer, so if they involve any SSN it's the builder's.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 AM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Could you pay in Bitcoins?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

So you are figuring the OP wants to keep his SSN secret from the auction company, but not keep the transaction secret from the government? Why do you think that? I mean it could be true, I just don't know how you got there.
Yes, my assumption was simply that the OP doesn't like giving his SS# to any more people than necessary. I work in a property management office, and when we sign a lease, many people don't want to give us their SS#. But we need it if we end up having to evict them. So if they won't provide it, we won't sign the lease. So I see this a lot.

If the OP is actually trying to keep the purchase secret from the government, my mind doesn't work in that fashion, so I have no advice of any kind. That possibility honestly did not occur to me.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Who do you not want to have your SSN? The agent or seller shouldn't need it. The closing attorney/title company will. You could set up a LLC to buy it as but I think you still need your SSN to set up the LLC.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Quote:
Yes, my assumption was simply that the OP doesn't like giving his SS# to any more people than necessary. I work in a property management office, and when we sign a lease, many people don't want to give us their SS#. But we need it if we end up having to evict them. So if they won't provide it, we won't sign the lease. So I see this a lot.

If the OP is actually trying to keep the purchase secret from the government, my mind doesn't work in that fashion, so I have no advice of any kind. That possibility honestly did not occur to me.
Thanks for clarifying .

Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
DH & I paid cash when we bought our house. I don't think we disclosed our SSN's anywhere.

When we got our occupancy certificate from the City though (an occupancy inspection to make sure the house is habitable is required, plus a signed document citing everyone who lives in the house), we had to disclose our SSN's, but that was after the sale process and unrelated to it.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
We need to come up with a better identifier than SS#, maybe a fingerprint system. Apple already has the Iphone5s set up with a fingerprint as a password, I think. SS# was set up for Social Security, but it seems so many agencies, companies, organiziations, etc., use it for their own needs of identification. Health insurance companies once used SS# as an identifier for their subscribers and due to complaints they stopped the practice. I think some retail stores still ask for SS# (still in this day and age!) for some reason.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:47 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I think some retail stores still ask for SS# (still in this day and age!) for some reason.
It is easier to find folks who pass bad checks, use stolen credit cards, don't pay their bills to prosecute or send to collection agencies (depending on the situation).

Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
It is easier to find folks who pass bad checks, use stolen credit cards, don't pay their bills to prosecute or send to collection agencies (depending on the situation).
Oh, that is why - I've always wondered - people are asked for information like address, phone number, and sometimes the SS#. About 20 years ago, I remember a lady was giving the requested information to the store clerk and the clerk repeated everything back - the lady became understandably upset and said loudly to the clerk "why don't you just say it a little louder so the whole store can hear?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate