Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 07:59 AM

31 posts, read 56,817 times

Advertisements

http://www.emwatch.com/EMF-Guidelines-1.2.xls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:00 AM

31 posts, read 56,817 times
Default EMF Detector

Need to know where I can rent a EMF detector?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:33 AM

17,704 posts, read 29,791,770 times
Default The Google is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fujianzhang View Post
Need to know where I can rent a EMF detector?
Google "rent an EMF detector"

Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
There are several scientifically objective reports out there that survey all existing literature...and then there are the wackos.

Briefly- there is no persuasive science that says there is a significant hazard. It is impossible to prove the negative however. Furthermore, if you are worried about EMF you should also not live in a house with electricity, should not use a cell phone or be near one, should not use wireless internet or a wireless mouse... etc. etc.

HV transmission lines are an aesthetic hazard, however.
They're more than an aesthetic hazard, especially if you live in an area prone to ice/freezing rain in the winter. Downed trees touching power lines and passing enough current to kill an adult are not that uncommon.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:54 AM

753 posts, read 1,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
They're more than an aesthetic hazard, especially if you live in an area prone to ice/freezing rain in the winter. Downed trees touching power lines and passing enough current to kill an adult are not that uncommon.
I can assure you that with high-voltage transmission lines like these

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57439399@N03/8170882961/

there is no danger of tree limbs falling on them -- those towers are huge, well above tree height, and the power company keeps the right-of-way clear of trees as well.

I grew up living next door to some power lines like those, and in our family we considered them a positive feature rather than a negative; it meant our property adjoined the neighborhood open space and trail, and was protected from further development on that side. The thing I remember most is the gazillions of wild raspberries and blackberries that took over the cleared land under the power lines. We got a regular harvest of those every year. The folks who lived on the other side from us also used to take advantage of the land by grazing their horses there (this was in a semi-rural area). Anyway, my dad was an electrical engineer and had no qualms about possible EMF hazards in choosing that as a location to raise his family.... *shrug* It's far too late for me to worry about it, and I figure I probably would have turned out to be just as weird growing up anywhere else, too. ;-)

Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
The question however old, was about a substation with underground lines, not the towers. A little googling of "substation explosion" will reveal that EMF problems or not, living near a substation is not desirable.

One example:

Explosion, fire at Ravensdale electrical substation

Old 08-25-2014, 01:25 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The question however old, was about a substation with underground lines, not the towers. A little googling of "substation explosion" will reveal that EMF problems or not, living near a substation is not desirable.

One example:

Explosion, fire at Ravensdale electrical substation
Statistically I doubt it's any more "undesirable' than living next to another house which might go up in flames or living next to a railroad track off which a train may derail and fly into your yard, or living anywhere where a passing 'plane may drop out of the sky ...

Old 10-23-2014, 11:18 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,104,827 times
People who are worried about this... ask yourselves, please:

Why don't power-line electricians have alarming health issues?

Every day, all over the world they're practically swimming inside insane levels of 60Hz EMF.

The power-line/cancer turmoil is a myth.

Here's proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Mh6kTWpKes

That's just one of hundreds of live powerline videos online right now.

Here are more.

(...yes, I'm on a crusade with this.. )

Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,329,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
because the power lines gave off a hmmmmm noise constantly
It only does that because it doesn't know the words.

In all seriousness, this is the same argument about cell phones causing brain tumors. I had a major brain tumor over 30 years ago, long before I ever owned a cell phone. I actively use a cell phone without fear of re-occurrence. We can all live our life in fear of what might happen or just live our life without irrational fears. The jury is still out on this and for every study that finds a correlation, there are just as many, if not more, that say otherwise.

While I find that high tension lines are a bit of an eyesore, I certainly don't fear them.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 10-23-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 11:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,669,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
People who are worried about this... )
... See Post #9.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate