Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:55 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

I am a little appalled that real estate agents would "lose track" of their clients who are looking at the house. How could parents allow their kids to turn on other people's computers etc.??? That's outrageous ... I would be furious.
Real estate agents want clients to feel comfortable in a home, see if it's a good fit for them. I suspect for most folks, it is easier to do if they are not chit chatting with the agent.

Couples might split up. One goes upstairs to see if the bedroom/bathroom situation will work for their family and furniture or spend time in the kitchen, see if it has the storage and counter space they need. The other might go down to the basement to check for dampness, see what condition the furnace is in...

To my surprise, it is not uncommon for people to haul their kids along and let them run through the house, jump on beds, fool with computers and who knows what all.

I admit I was upset and spoke with our agent about this. Every time I couldn't find something, I thought it had been taken.

As ours was a larger home in family neighborhood, we didn't want to say no kids allowed. But I surely was tempted.

It sold fairly quickly, luckily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 09:10 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I posted this ...

and I should have added this: I am 99.9% sure I would respect the property owner's wishes (I can't imagine why I would be THAT desperate to take photos if there were good ones in the listing) -- I was just curious about whether or not they could actually DO anything.

I am a little appalled that real estate agents would "lose track" of their clients who are looking at the house. How could parents allow their kids to turn on other people's computers etc.??? That's outrageous ... I would be furious.
You might enjoy this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-showings.html

Most buyers are wonderful and respectful. But it only takes one.....

We have sold our last three homes in absentia. Vacant.
No personal belongings in them.
And if I ever sell the one I am in, I hope only to do it the same way.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
I took a fair number of snaps the last time I was in the market.

If I had encountered a house like described...I would have not had the snaps to remind me of what I saw, and therefore I would have been less likely to buy that one...and even if I were interested I would have been watching out for other kinds of "strange" during the negotiations, and would have been more ready to walk...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You might enjoy this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...-showings.html

Most buyers are wonderful and respectful. But it only takes one.....
Interesting thread.

Couple posts stuck out. One was a buyer who left the kids in the car with the hubby while she toured the house. If the house was a possibility, she handed her notes to him and he went through it. For the final decision, they left the kids with a sitter as it required concentration, something that is difficult to do with kids.

Another post was how real estate transactions are a business deal and real estate agents are professionals, and while they won't object (who wants to turn off a client when thousands of dollars are at stake?) it is disrespectful to bring kids along. Would people think it was okay to bring their kids along to meet with their stock broker, tax person...?

Old 03-15-2014, 09:58 AM

Now that I think of it, I remember that certain listings stipulated the times we could go through and how many hours notice were required for a showing. Stipulating no photos or no children, seems along that same vein.

Such rules decrease the pool of buyers, but that's the way it goes.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
When you buy a house, you are not obligated to adopt the seller to be your new best friend.

So what if the seller has an unpleasant or controlling personality? If you like the house, you make an offer and your agent is supposed to do all the interface with the seller. You don't have to and you don't have to see the seller after the escrow closes.

I would never pass on a house that I really liked just because I thought the seller was rude.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:28 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
As for agents watching their clients, apparently, they no longer do that.

I was amazed at all the damage done to my house with the last house I sold. Not just one looker, but several of them did damage.

It was also very common for windows to be unlocked and left standing wide open, even when it was below freezing outside. More often than not, all the exterior doors would be left unlocked and a couple of times, the doors were left standing wide open.

So no, don't depend upon agents to watch their clients and they apparently will not say anything to the client if they see the client doing something unacceptable.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
As for agents watching their clients, apparently, they no longer do that.

I was amazed at all the damage done to my house with the last house I sold. Not just one looker, but several of them did damage.

It was also very common for windows to be unlocked and left standing wide open, even when it was below freezing outside. More often than not, all the exterior doors would be left unlocked and a couple of times, the doors were left standing wide open.

So no, don't depend upon agents to watch their clients and they apparently will not say anything to the client if they see the client doing something unacceptable.
Other than leaving the doors and windows wide open, what other damage did they do?

Old 03-15-2014, 11:43 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What are some possible reasons for someone trying to sell a house to prohibit a prospective buyer from taking some pictures?
Um ... Privacy?

When you're touring a house, you are a guest in someone else's home. Act like it.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
When you're touring a house, you are a guest in someone else's home. Act like it.
Man, that's the best answer ever. I might add..... and respect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate