U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,804,369 times

Advertisements

Wonder if anyone could give input on a house plan my wife and I have been looking at.

Obviously this is very subjective but here is what we want.
We prefer a smaller home (this is 1568 sq ft) but want a 3 bedroom with all 3 bedrooms upstairs, Master bath and 1 shared bath up, and a half bath down.

We want an office downstairs. We'd make the laundry room here into a small mudroom and put an entrance door where there is a closet on the right side there by the mud room - laundry would probably stay there but get stacked. We'd probably add a few windows but it'd depend on the site I guess.

Don't care a lot about style, uniqueness -- more concerned about COST, simplicity,functionality and ease of use/maintenance and energy efficiency. I know with a colonial with an unfinished attic , they can really easily stack up the insulation in the attic to R50+ which is where the most heat is lost in general. Also like the simple roof lines, with no valleys where snow could build up.

Any thoughts on what we might be missing? We are pretty far off on this, as we are having a hard time finding land, but just having some fun getting ready for the possibility.

Last edited by joe moving; 03-19-2014 at 02:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 06:41 AM

628 posts, read 1,919,670 times
it seems like a pretty nice functional plan. I personally would be concerned over the size of the living room as it seems pretty tight--but the other rooms seem to be about right.
I also am not sure about having to walk through the dining room when entering the home to get to the kitchen. You will want to make sure you have a small enough table and chairs to not block entrance to the kitchen. Also no garage at all?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:49 PM

3,952 posts, read 5,378,444 times
Yes can you put a side door in for the car, to bring the groceries in?

Also, opening into the living room without a windbreak of any kind is hard in the winter. Can you enclose the front porch for a windbreak?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM

28,461 posts, read 78,304,104 times
No offense but there are lots of good reasons why the "floor plans" you can plot out with DIY "home design" software are not very wise to try to build. Things like no entry foyer and a 39" wide landing / hallway are gonna seem like an absolute horror show when you try to move any furniture or even baskets of laundry, not to mention it is going to be dark and very unpleasant. Similarly the lack of flow on the first flow is going make living in this sort of space very tight / unpleasant. Just a single linen closet and no coat closets / pantries or walkin closets makes storage a nightmare, very inefficent plumbing layout adds costs. Minimal windows are gonna rob the home of "light". Unbalanced room sizes will make some rooms feel like they are downright hostile.

I have seen homes designed by professional architects to fit on tiny city lots that have MUCH more attractive lay outs, much better use of windows, far more efficient space planning.

Honestly there is no reason for anyone to "custom" design or build such an chintzy house in this day. You can literally go to a lumber yard / home center and get a far more thoughtfully laid out home plan for FREE if you buy all you building materials through them.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:58 PM

15,393 posts, read 57,604,685 times
I think you covered your main objective with this plan- small.

The details are less than inspiring!

I'm not going to give a long dissertation or a complete analytical breakdown (I get paid for that) but here's a few observations:

Never put a D/W on a perpendicular plane from the sink- you'll kill yourself.
Making "that" laundry room a mud room is like making a 1/2bath a full bath in the same footprint. You want an entry- just replace the window with a door. But here's the fun part- you don't put plumbing on an exterior wall. Especially where you are.

Increasing the energy efficiency- you want to use "raised heel" trusses; 2X6 exterior walls, insulated foundation walls (assuming this will be built on a basement foundation), lowE IG windows, and high SEER HVAC unit(s).

Also, if my quick math is correct the stair run would start at the wall with the dimension that is listed.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:37 PM

13,145 posts, read 20,959,733 times
I know you said you don't care about style, but do you plan to keep it forever? If not, you might want to stay more true to the style as it will help you sell better down the road.

As it's a neocolonial plan, at a minimum I would skip the double windows and just have single colonial style windows. That plus a a full size chimney pushed further back on the side (or deleted altogether to save $$$) would make an otherwise ho-hum plan look fairly cute and attractive.

Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 PM

8,451 posts, read 13,369,105 times
Do you really use a formal dining room? Few people do.

Also, where would the living room TV go? I've been in houses where they mounted it over the fireplace, and it was instant neck strain. Any other place, and your seating won't face the fireplace.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 629,195 times
The size of this kitchen would kill me. The rooms and floor plan overall seem decent, except for the kitchen.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:21 AM

21,558 posts, read 27,426,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Wonder if anyone could give input on a house plan my wife and I have been looking at.

Obviously this is very subjective but here is what we want.
We prefer a smaller home (this is 1568 sq ft) but want a 3 bedroom with all 3 bedrooms upstairs, Master bath and 1 shared bath up, and a half bath down.

We want an office downstairs. We'd make the laundry room here into a small mudroom and put an entrance door where there is a closet on the right side there by the mud room - laundry would probably stay there but get stacked. We'd probably add a few windows but it'd depend on the site I guess.

Don't care a lot about style, uniqueness -- more concerned about COST, simplicity,functionality and ease of use/maintenance and energy efficiency. I know with a colonial with an unfinished attic , they can really easily stack up the insulation in the attic to R50+ which is where the most heat is lost in general. Also like the simple roof lines, with no valleys where snow could build up.

Any thoughts on what we might be missing? We are pretty far off on this, as we are having a hard time finding land, but just having some fun getting ready for the possibility.

Pretty good. My children are older teenagers now. The one thing that comes to mind is the lack of a family room. A place less formal than a living room, that is not the children's bedrooms.

Basic colonials lack that feature. It's something that will most likely go unnoticed until your children are school aged. At which point you will notice it when your children want to have a few friends over to play video games on a Saturday and you don't particularly want all of these nine year olds in your living room. Birthday parties are another question. Are you looking to be a regular customer of Chucky Cheese?

Two inexpensive, if somewhat out of favor floor plans that provide kids with "kid space" and adults with formal space, for a budget price are the raised ranch (high ranch, in some areas) and the split level.

You probably don't need to build either of them. They exist.

Our first house was a Cape Cod. Three bedrooms up, LR, DR, kitchen, laundry and a sewing room (which we used as my husband's office) on the first floor.

It wasn't very functional once the children began having friends.

Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM

5,440 posts, read 15,804,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
No offense but there are lots of good reasons why the "floor plans" you can plot out with DIY "home design" software are not very wise to try to build. Things like no entry foyer and a 39" wide landing / hallway are gonna seem like an absolute horror show when you try to move any furniture or even baskets of laundry, not to mention it is going to be dark and very unpleasant. Similarly the lack of flow on the first flow is going make living in this sort of space very tight / unpleasant. Just a single linen closet and no coat closets / pantries or walkin closets makes storage a nightmare, very inefficent plumbing layout adds costs. Minimal windows are gonna rob the home of "light". Unbalanced room sizes will make some rooms feel like they are downright hostile.

I have seen homes designed by professional architects to fit on tiny city lots that have MUCH more attractive lay outs, much better use of windows, far more efficient space planning.

Honestly there is no reason for anyone to "custom" design or build such an chintzy house in this day. You can literally go to a lumber yard / home center and get a far more thoughtfully laid out home plan for FREE if you buy all you building materials through them.
Chet, as mentioned, we would definitely add windows. However, I did not design this house, this is a local builders design--I don't know if they've actually ever built it.

I'm looking for small home designs and it is harder than you might think.

Essentially what we want are :

-3 beds up, 2 baths up (1 shared, 1 in the main bedroom)
-1 office/study down
-Open kitchen/dining/living design
-Mudroom with side entry on gable of roof
-Simply roof lines (no valleys ) to shed snow easily and to make solar install simple

Of course when you shove all that in 1536 sq ft, there are compromises to be made but I do think there is room for improvement on this particular design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate