Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,305 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate any insight people could give me in this. I realize "Talk to a lawyer" is the official answer, but just wanted some insight before I went that route.

We're thinking of buying a new home from a major tract builder. Their contract is the standard boilerplate, but there is a section that basically forces us into Arbitration for any issues. I'm not very comfortable with this.

Does anybody know if this can be taken out, or will the tract builder say "Sign it or don't buy from us?"

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:41 PM

11,831 posts, read 34,448,030 times
Where are you buying the property?

Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,661,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obug View Post
Their contract is the standard boilerplate, but there is a section that basically forces us into Arbitration for any issues. I'm not very comfortable with this.
Arbitration is very common these days. Sometimes a court judge will even send your case to arbitration. Its basically a way to work something out before it goes to court, but cheaper for both parties.

PS. Signing anything this complicated, and the most expensive thing you will ever buy in your life without talking to a lawyer is nuts. So yes, talk to a lawyer.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obug View Post
I would appreciate any insight people could give me in this. I realize "Talk to a lawyer" is the official answer, but just wanted some insight before I went that route.

We're thinking of buying a new home from a major tract builder. Their contract is the standard boilerplate, but there is a section that basically forces us into Arbitration for any issues. I'm not very comfortable with this.

Does anybody know if this can be taken out, or will the tract builder say "Sign it or don't buy from us?"

Thanks,
Decades ago, when my H and I bought our first house, we purchased from a major tract home builder. There was a similar clause then. We asked about that and a few others. It was sign it or move on to something else.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,317,496 times
If it says "binding arbitration" that might be one thing. Still cheaper than going to court. The CA standard agreement has an arbitration clause. It's optional, neither party has to sign it and if just one of the parties doesn't it's not enforceable.

I read the Superior Court tentative ruling calendar in my county. 99% of the time, the court asks the contesting parties to consider arbitration. Your exposure to attorneys fees without arbitration could quickly exceed whatever you might want to dispute with the builder.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:14 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,748,988 times
The answer is pretty simple. Don't expect them to change it but, if you feel like its worth the bluff, negotiate a deal, then tell them you will sign but only if they line it out. Anything is possible but this is probably unlikely. But, before you go for it, you might want to think it over as DMenscha pointed out.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Most judges won't talk to anyone till they've been to arbitration or mediation first.

And that builder WILL NOT scratch that clause for you. I guarantee it.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,818,804 times
Builders pay a lot more for attorneys than you will pay one to review the contract. They are not going to cross something out of their contract that they paid big bucks to put in there.

In Texas, judges won't hear your case until you can show you tried another form of resolution first.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Is it an inventory/spec house, or a to-be-built house?

If it is existing and complete, the builder's contract is often inappropriate.
I usually use our standard NCAR Offer/Contract for completed inventory.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:15 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
You can try but I doubt they accept any changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate