Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 06:46 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
But everyone's version of the "truth" might be different. I was always told to just "not go there" and give the pat answer that Federal law prohibits me from discussing it, because most people do not know all the "facts" about a situation or an area's minority makeup or particular racially motivated "events". But honestly that's a hard rule to stick to and not feel like you're being disingenuous.

I had a situation where I had been working with an African American family who was looking to have me build a home for them. They were concerned about one particular area of a development they were interested in because there were quite a few African American families who were moving into it, the homes were pretty high end for the area, and THEY were worried about housing values going down, to which they actually said to me "when black people move in in big numbers, all the white people move out and property values decline". I had started to form a relationship with them, so when they asked me whether their fears were well-founded, I didn't know what to say.

How would agents answer that question?
"Let's talk about your financing options..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 06:51 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
I probably wouldn't answer regardless, but it would make me uncomfortable either way.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
"Let's talk about your financing options..."
Exactly. I wanted to crawl under a rock, as I had been working with them for about two months and was really beginning to like them. And of course, the husband kept saying "Don't feed us any BS now".

I ended up just telling them that there is no telling what the future holds, and let's build you a spectacular home!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,371 times
I've just never had a problem with anyone not accepting that discussion of race is simply not permissable in the professional relationship. Indeed, I think I gain respect and trust by my insistence that I won't broach the subject.

Of course, if I was an agent in Jena, Louisiana, this summer, it may have been more problematic.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM

100 posts, read 242,262 times
Default hey

i am brown..We are east indians early 30s cpl, ivy educated, working in an investment bank. We are looking for a home in a a 700k neighbourhood...we were in london b4...lived in covent garden ..at one of the most desired address in london. I dont think we ever felt black,white, yellow or brown....We were as welcome there as anyone. After reading this article ..I duuno if i would be welcome any neighbourhoods here..if ppl will play wth our childern..even though both us went to harvard have the finest education possiable? it all seems scary.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:30 AM

54 posts, read 182,750 times
Default Wow!

Sue, I hope that you truly aren't scared. You will find a neighborhood that is wonderful for your family. I will share that I am black and my husband is white. We have 2 young daughters. This discussion also concerns me because when we start looking for a new home we will be concerned about racism as well. (It's a part of our lives and we have accepted it.) Just like the OP's clients we would want to know the truth about racial acceptance in the neighborhoods that we are looking. Now that we know we won't be getting any help from our Realtor on this, I won't bother asking. If I would have gotten an answer like, "Let's talk about your financing.." there would have been a big problem. That would make me feel as though I was stupid or my concern for my family was not important.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:55 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdway View Post
Sue, I hope that you truly aren't scared. You will find a neighborhood that is wonderful for your family. I will share that I am black and my husband is white. We have 2 young daughters. This discussion also concerns me because when we start looking for a new home we will be concerned about racism as well. (It's a part of our lives and we have accepted it.) Just like the OP's clients we would want to know the truth about racial acceptance in the neighborhoods that we are looking. Now that we know we won't be getting any help from our Realtor on this, I won't bother asking. If I would have gotten an answer like, "Let's talk about your financing.." there would have been a big problem. That would make me feel as though I was stupid or my concern for my family was not important.
With all due respect unless you have a real estate agent that is from a mixed couple background there is no way to really know. Someone could ask me about racism here in Salem and I can for sure say "yes we have some racist people because they exist in every town on this planet." That much is a guarantee.

There is NO WAY for a real estate agent to know about racial acceptance in a neighborhood. You could live in a great neighborhood and live next to swastika guy and not know it. There would be no way for your agent to know it. There is just no way for anyone to know what kind of neighbors you are going to get. You could have great racial tolerance and live next to the lady who chucks potatos at you (see the thread about disclosing odd neighbors).

I understand why you are worried, but you just need to pick a neighborhood that feels like home to you. The rest is a crap shoot.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
From a lawyer's perspective (aren't we supposed to be the champs at CYA?), I don't know what I'd advise a realtor to do, but if a legal client asked me a question like this, I think I'd probably give them my honest opinion (or if I truly didn't know, which might very well be the case, I'd say that and suggest other avenues to find out), and make sure that they knew it was only my opinion.

Of course, as a lawyer, my opinions are always full of disclaimers and explanatory parentheticals...

And I haven't read that legal memo, but my gut reaction is that it WOULD be OK to steer a buyer AT THEIR REQUEST. I mean, the whole point of the fair housing act, etc., was to protect the buyers from being shut out of neighborhoods against their will. If they WANT to make a decision based on race I don't think there is any law prohibiting a (private individual or business) BUYER from "discriminating" against a seller, let's say by refusing to buy a house from a person of another race, or in a certain neighborhood. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I said, it's just my gut reaction based on a very general knowledge of discrimination laws - IT'S NOT LEGAL ADVICE. YMMV. (see? disclaimer!)

Old 04-07-2008, 06:04 PM

200 posts, read 561,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
From a lawyer's perspective (aren't we supposed to be the champs at CYA?), I don't know what I'd advise a realtor to do, but if a legal client asked me a question like this, I think I'd probably give them my honest opinion (or if I truly didn't know, which might very well be the case, I'd say that and suggest other avenues to find out), and make sure that they knew it was only my opinion.

Of course, as a lawyer, my opinions are always full of disclaimers and explanatory parentheticals...

And I haven't read that legal memo, but my gut reaction is that it WOULD be OK to steer a buyer AT THEIR REQUEST. I mean, the whole point of the fair housing act, etc., was to protect the buyers from being shut out of neighborhoods against their will. If they WANT to make a decision based on race I don't think there is any law prohibiting a (private individual or business) BUYER from "discriminating" against a seller, let's say by refusing to buy a house from a person of another race, or in a certain neighborhood. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, as I said, it's just my gut reaction based on a very general knowledge of discrimination laws - IT'S NOT LEGAL ADVICE. YMMV. (see? disclaimer!)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...if it were so easy. Realtors are trained to treat everyone exactly the same....same offer of a cup of coffee, same routine, etc......basis for legal action has been that simple.........The advice must also be the same...for ex..."the best way to get an idea of a neighborhood is drive through at different times and days'...a school system.. visit......... My gut tells me the same but a $25000 retainer to defend against a charge helps me forget my gut rather rapidly

Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM

60 posts, read 207,430 times
The way I understood the law is that we are NOT allowed to steer a Buyer even at their request.

I was taught that, if a Buyer (or Seller) indicates that anything racial/ethnic/religious/cultural/politically incorrect matters to him/her, to simply tell that client that I am unable to be their agent, and to end the business relationship.

I could make some kind of reference to the First Amendment here but it might be illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate