U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 12:31 PM

5,440 posts, read 8,503,817 times

Advertisements

Oh, OK. I see what you are talking about. We find that getting a majority to vote on anything is next to impossible so we have been unable to make any kind of change in that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:34 AM

10,334 posts, read 8,187,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I don't know why people feel the need to chime in here about how they would never live in a place like this or that. A. No one asked you. B. It doesn't address the OP's concerns. It's a free country and we are free to live where we want and in whatever arrangement we desire as long as we can afford it. It's a really simple concept, really....if it isn't what you want, don't buy one.

ellemint, I agree that it doesn't hurt to ask about all the info they requested. In fact, I think someone mentioned earlier that they may be using the same form that they've used for years without ever giving it a second thought. I have a rental condo where the management company requires a full application that includes SS#, driver's license, etc. (but not account numbers) and then literally does nothing with it! I am reasonably sure that they are doing it so they'll have it IF they ever need it. My association does do a credit report, a criminal history report that includes bad checks and even terrorist watch group info, aliases, etc. The odd thing about it is that they can require it and you can elect not to do it by passing on the purchase, but the ability to reject an applicant is very limited and very tricky legally. They have to have (or should have) the criteria for acceptance/rejection in their docs and it must be applied to every case in order to stand up to scrutiny and challenge.

Regarding the "condo Nazi" term, I have to admit that I've used that phrase myself although it is obviously inappropriate. Most often, the people in a condo aren't particularly concerned with all this stuff and they 'just live there'. For some, it is all very important to them and they have the right to feel that way since every other owner agreed to live by the rules that run the place, whether they gave the matter the degree of scrutiny it warranted or not. I ended up on my board because I was concerned about what I perceived at the time as over-zealousness and some ridiculous rules I wanted changed. What I didn't know at the time was that almost no one wants to be on a board of a condo that runs well enough and, once you are on, it almost impossible to get off...LOL. We only have three board members and, if I leave, the state essentially takes over and that will cost more so I'm stuck! Word to the wise....
Yes, I used to be on the board of my last condo, and got them to ease up on some of the most stupid rules.
I like being on the board although of course it could be aggravating, but better to be in some control than to be controlled...haha

Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Interestingly enough, I read up on how/why a condo board can reject a prospective buyer. If the buyer's criminal history is clean, and they have the money to purchase the condo and keep up with monthly fees, there are no other legitimate reasons for rejection except, get this----if the board thinks you are a "bad" person. I kid you not, though I hope the sources I read were wrong.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM

I think you should only go by what the statute says (or an attorney) but, remember, every time there's a lawsuit, there's an attorney saying one thing and another attorney saying that's wrong. Quite a racket they have, huh! (JK)

When you think about it and understand (as you do) what a condominium really is (i.e. an ownership structure where unit owners have ownership of the inside of their unit but a common ownership of the rest of the property), I think members should have every right (and an obligation) to decide who they take on as a 'partner' in their common ownership because their financial well-being is interconnected to every other member's. Most people have no idea how often their credit is pinged and it is pinged for a lot less important reasons than the ownership of an expensive piece of property. Of course, they can't violate the law by discriminating but that's not what we are talking about.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM

1,773 posts, read 3,994,928 times
ellemint,
DONT BUY IT.
RUN!
Trust me!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I think you should only go by what the statute says (or an attorney) but, remember, every time there's a lawsuit, there's an attorney saying one thing and another attorney saying that's wrong. Quite a racket they have, huh! (JK)

When you think about it and understand (as you do) what a condominium really is (i.e. an ownership structure where unit owners have ownership of the inside of their unit but a common ownership of the rest of the property), I think members should have every right (and an obligation) to decide who they take on as a 'partner' in their common ownership because their financial well-being is interconnected to every other member's. Most people have no idea how often their credit is pinged and it is pinged for a lot less important reasons than the ownership of an expensive piece of property. Of course, they can't violate the law by discriminating but that's not what we are talking about.

Yes I see your point.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:49 PM

Just to follow up, I have sent in the application requested by the condo association for "approval." This was required for a background check, and I'm assuming also a credit check (even though I am buying the condo cash.)

But they are saying they also will do an interview. I really really need to know because this is all making me anxious. At least if you go to a job interview you know what the interviewer is going to question you about, but here, I have no idea.

I was wondering if anyone has familiarity with these interviews, because I cannot imagine what they could (legally) ask me. My hobbies?

Last edited by ellemint; 03-31-2014 at 07:25 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, but at the same time they are refusing to disclose the condo documents to me before they "approve" me. I think they have even that part wrong, but I'm not going to battle them on everything. It's so funny because on the internet there's this whole list of documents all condo associations are supposed to have on file; these people don't even seem to have heard of half of them.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 PM

Well, the condo docs we've discussed are supposed to come from the seller, not the association, and the interview has nothing to do with the seller. I told you before that this deal of yours is a bit odd all the way around and, if you go forward with it, at least now you will be doing so with your eyes wide open.

The interview is probably just a light conversation so they can reinforce the rules to you and make sure your lifestyle won't disturb anyone.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:48 AM

3,534 posts, read 6,411,453 times
Quote:

The interview is probably just a light conversation so they can reinforce the rules to you and make sure your lifestyle won't disturb anyone.
And that is exactly what my experience has been when I bought 2 condos in a small association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or