Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 02:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Yes, some condos have a right of first refusal written into their bylaws which allows them to purchase a unit (under certain circumstances) in place of an outside buyer, presumably when a unit owner has a contract that the association doesn't like for some reason. I've not come across an example of this yet but they exist. Obviously, they can't discriminate against protected classes but I can think of some examples where it might be in their best interest to do it. For example, if property values were fairly stable but a unit owner (like in your case) decided that they wanted to unload at a below market value price. In this case, it might benefit the association (all unit owners) to absorb the unit at a lower price and then resell it at market value. Or, for a more absurd reason, if the buyer were to state that they intended to give in-home tuba lessons, the association rules might not specifically prevent that from happening but the association still has a reason to keep it from happening. The point is that, absent a specific situation, most rules seem capricious, small, and arbitrary but the fact is that most (if not all) have an origin in an actual dispute between two or more parties. It can be tough living in close quarters with people who don't share the same set of values.

dang! I've gotta cancel those tuba lessons... oh well

bbronston I really appreciate your valuable advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:41 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Yeah, I had to give up my rock guitar aspirations when I moved from my house to my condo.

Good luck! I know all you really want is a place to stay when you visit and all the rest feels like minutia. Just one of life's little "things".

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM

You are not going to believe this! --- they DISAPPROVED me. They nixed the sale. THe stupid **** condo board! A cash sale. The lawyer of the estate said they are listing it with a real estate agent.

This is after the estate and I had agreed on a cash price, and I can more than cover the entire monthly fee for the rest of my life if necessary.

They would not give a reason and said there is no appeals process!!!! The only thing they told one of the daughter's of the late owner was that I made a mistake by not applying to them first before a contract for purchase was drawn up. But the contract is not even signed yet. How in the world would I have known that? ANd it is not even true legally I believe.

They never even contacted my references or bank. I have no criminal record whatsoever.

This is outrageous!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM

Default I was rejected by Condo Board to buy a condo

I already have a thread about this as I linked to, but I'm just updating that the board did indeed reject my application for approval to buy a condo in their complex. No reason given. They never called my references or my bank. I have no criminal history. It was a cash purchase and I have more than enough money to cover any future assessments or condo fees.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...plication.html

Old 04-03-2014, 08:45 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I hope you told them to be careful the door doesn't hit them in the arse on their way out.

Blessings are often wrapped in odd packages This is one of them.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:00 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
The seller, or seller's estate, may take legal action against the Board.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:03 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Jeesh. As someone posted on another thread this may be a blessing for you but it must be awful for the sellers.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The seller, or seller's estate, may take legal action against the Board.
I wonder if I have the right to sue them.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I wonder if I have the right to sue them.
You could, if you can establish damages.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
Your heading sounds like the title of a great investigative journalism news article. That or something very funny and tongue in cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate