U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,404,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Identity theft is so widespread nowadays an individual should be extremely careful about how he/she disseminates information. One doesn't even need to volunteer information for people to steal your identity and ruin you financially.
So true! I don't think people realize how prevalent it is. I've had my identity stolen twice. Once, somebody went on a mad shopping spree at Best Buy and another time somebody had a long, and all expense paid hospitalization on me. I didn't know anything about it until bill collectors started calling. I filed a police report each time but they couldn't have cared less about finding the culprits. Fortunately, I was able to track down the electronics scammer and I was able to prove my whereabouts during the time of the second scammer's hospitalization; thereby clearing my name and credit report. It's difficult though and people treat the identity theft victim like they are the scammer! I absolutely believe the thieves in both cases were internal to whatever companies I gave my information to because I'm very careful about shredding before disposing of paperwork and even more diligent about what questions I answer in public. It's scary how easy it is for crooks to get away with identity theft and my incidents happened before the internet was huge. One can't be too careful in protecting their information and oftentimes the victim has no idea it's happening until it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 10:52 AM

3,628 posts, read 6,472,629 times
Sorry, but the odds of identity theft for the OP in this request are very slim. No need to try to scare the OP any further.

While the OP may object to the inquiry, the COA has to protect itself and its current members/owners. A complete background/credit check is not unusual in this type of transaction.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 AM

545 posts, read 1,195,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I live in condo in NC and the sentence I bolded would alone be cause enough for me to walk away.
On the other hand you could retaliate by demanding the HOA's financials.
+1. As a former condo owner, let me tell you that if they're acting like this before you even move in, just wait to see what it's like when you have to deal with them when you actually live there. My association didn't require anything before I moved in. When I did move in, they wanted to know who held the mortgage and information on cars and things like that - no financial information. It's really none of their business. If you don't pay the maintenance, they can slap a lien on your property or foreclose on it. I personally won't ever live in a condo again. Too many busy bodies, too many people with the potential to screw up your investment, and you're always at the mercy of the condo board for something. But to each their own...

Old 03-23-2014, 12:35 PM

10,211 posts, read 17,177,137 times
No reserves, no reserve study... RUN. Likewise board minutes for the last two years, articles of incorporation, rules. The fact that the Board is comprised of volunteers is no excuse. Easy to get out of the sale contract, be a PITA in responding to Board demands.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:50 PM

131 posts, read 204,205 times
wow, no agent or real estate attorney, after finally getting and reading the by-laws and assestments we backed out of our condo deal a few months ago, they have to give you a copy, The HOA that is. even with an attorney we waited to get them far to long. We loved the unit but decided as per our contract that we could back out if we did not like or agree with their terms, we didn't so we walked away, sadly though. good luck in any event.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 PM

9,942 posts, read 8,532,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Sorry, but the odds of identity theft for the OP in this request are very slim. No need to try to scare the OP any further.

While the OP may object to the inquiry, the COA has to protect itself and its current members/owners. A complete background/credit check is not unusual in this type of transaction.
I agree.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:23 PM

2,922 posts, read 2,415,635 times
Florida, lol.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 PM

8,283 posts, read 12,064,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm buying a condo in Florida, in cash. The seller has already accepted the offer.

The Condominium Association there says that they have to approve the sale, so I have to fill out an application.

On the application they want:

- my social security number
- bank account number
- copy of birth certificate
- copy of driver's license
- previous address etc
- references
- and two more pages of information

And an interview. I don't even live in Florida yet, so I'm assuming a phone interview will suffice. I've already met some of the condo association members when I visited, so it's not like they haven't met me.

I'm paying cash. The previous owner's estate has already accepted my offer. I'm obviously not insolvent. THe monthly condo fee is low and I would be responsible for my own utilities. It's not a rental property. So, much of this information seems unnecessary and also none of their business, and leaving me at risk of identity theft if the information gets in the wrong hands. They seem very casual about their record-keeping and I have no assurances about how they would store this information.

For example, I don't mind if they phone my bank and my bank is allowed to tell them I have a bank acccount and enough money to cover say a year or two of condo fees, but to provide them with my account number?

This is not a professionally managed property management company but a homeowner's association, who do not seem to be very good at record keeping, given that they cannot seem to come up with any of the documents I am supposed to be supplied with. When I asked for a copy of the by-laws and rules they said "can't you get that from the previous owner?" --- it's an estate sale and she's dead.

I had a condo in Kentucky for years, and I never had to go through any of this B.S.

Is this typical, does anyone know? Is it even legal?
Welcome to Florida!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 AM

422 posts, read 496,100 times
In Marion County, Florida, the HOA documents are available online through the county clerk's office, free of charge. I'm sure it's the same in other counties.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:24 AM

10,334 posts, read 8,218,359 times
CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND FOR ME A REPUTABLE REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY OR EVEN JUST A GOOD FIRM IN PALM BEACH COUNTY?

pretty please....

btw, those of you referring to me as "he", I'm a "she"....

Maybe it's not as bad as its sounds. These are mostly elderly snow-birders I'm dealing with; maybe they are using an application form from 1980, before the days of identity theft.

I wasn't planning to live in this condo forever. It was either going to be a vacation winter home, or if I love Florida, I'd buy a better condo or a house eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or