Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 PM

205 posts, read 738,958 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a prospective buyer and was looking for a home in a townhouse community in Milpitas, CA

During the first release, 03/29/2014 we were interested in only one house and went to the lottery. Unfortunately another couple had their number called before us and they selected that home. We were right after them. So we told the sales manager to put us as backup incase the first couple backs out. After the lottery our realtor spoke to the two sales managers and they assured us that we will get the home should the first guy back out. After coming home I emailed them again just to reiterate since they may forget what happened. They both replied saying they are aware of it and will definitely let us know. I have those two emails. My wife called them again on Wednesday and they said the deal with first couple is still on.

This weekend we visited their sales office and we ran into the first lottery winner and he told us that he had backed out on 03/30/2014 morning itself. We were like ***** is this. Those sales managers have been lying to us all along. We talked to them and they finally acknowledged that they messed up and sold the unit to someone on Sunday evening itself. ***** holes. I emailed their CEO detailing entire incident and he responds that he will offer me another home, similar to the one we were interested in but for $20,000 more. Thats the best he can do. We are really frustrated at this morons and want to know if we have any legal right in this matter??

As proofs for this incident, we have
1) all the people who came in initial lottery who the sales manager writing us as backup
2) emails from them assuring we will get the home if the first buyer backs out.
3) our realtor's word that she spoke to the sales managers.

Do we stand any chance against the billion dollar guys with army of attorneys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,170,774 times
I am not sure what you expect to get from the builder. An apology? A condominium?

The question is how were you injured other that your feelings were hurt? You can sue and claim that they lied to you, but they will just claim they screwed up.

It will cost you way more than it is worth just to teach them a lesson.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:19 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,957,215 times
Did you sign any contract for the purchase or backup purchase of that specific property?
Did you give any sort of deposit for that specific property?

Old 04-08-2014, 12:23 AM

205 posts, read 738,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I am not sure what you expect to get from the builder. An apology? A condominium?

The question is how were you injured other that your feelings were hurt? You can sue and claim that they lied to you, but they will just claim they screwed up.

It will cost you way more than it is worth just to teach them a lesson.
I dont expect any freebies from them. I think I should be offered similar homesite, similar floorplan for similar plan. According to me that the least they can do for all the chaos their sales team caused. Can they just get away with "claiming we screwed up". Isn't there any law protecting small individuals like me against big corporations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did you sign any contract for the purchase or backup purchase of that specific property?
Did you give any sort of deposit for that specific property?
We didn't have any deposit or sign an contract. But according to the lottery guidelines laid out by there sales team, the backup guys have to be offered the homesite for same price should the deal with the lottery winner break.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,330,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoseeker2010 View Post

We didn't have any deposit or sign an contract. But according to the lottery guidelines laid out by there sales team, the backup guys have to be offered the homesite for same price should the deal with the lottery winner break.
No contract means no lawsuit unless you can prove the builder is consistently using this kind of "bait and switch" sort of thing. That typically means involving your state's attorney general (or similar office).

Move on.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:51 AM

9,871 posts, read 14,107,248 times
Quote:
Isn't there any law protecting small individuals like me against big corporations?
Protection against what? You weren't injured. You wanted something and, unfortunately, did not get it. You had no contract with them.

Quote:
But according to the lottery guidelines laid out by there sales team, the backup guys have to be offered the homesite for same price should the deal with the lottery winner break.
Are these guidelines in writing?

Old 04-08-2014, 06:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,492,233 times
Quote:
I dont expect any freebies from them. I think I should be offered similar homesite, similar floorplan for similar plan. According to me that the least they can do for all the chaos their sales team caused. Can they just get away with "claiming we screwed up". Isn't there any law protecting small individuals like me against big corporations?

If you had no contract other than a email promise you got nothing. You suffered no financial loss. I can promise anything I want I don't have any legal duty to actually follow through with it. There is no law protecting you in the way you think.

The guidelines you speak of are they a legal contract when you are entered in the lottery? They made a mistake acknowledged it and then offered you a replacement. I'm not sure what more you want.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:34 AM

40,949 posts, read 49,143,821 times
What you are is an unhappy customer. Nothing illegal about having unhappy customers.
You need to elevate your complaint to the salesman's boss and be very clear on what you reasonably want.

Maybe they will try and change you to a Happy Customer and also sell a house.
That would be a win win for all.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 AM

43,258 posts, read 77,021,463 times
Jefferson Airplane did a song on this topic.
The chorus went something like this:

"When the truth is found to be lies...

Don't you want somebody to sue,
Don't you need somebody to sue,
Wouldn't you love somebody to sue,
You'd better find somebody to sue."

Grace Slick could wail with the best of 'em.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVzaR8cmDA

Old 04-08-2014, 09:12 AM
QIS

920 posts, read 5,144,587 times
And who knew she was an attorney!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate