Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times

Advertisements

So far in this forum I've read suggestions on how to get rebates, get listing exceptions, get undeserved referrals, switch agents, cancel listings and several other ways to avoid or reduce commission. Have we missed any good tactics for getting out of having to pay Realtors the exorbitant commissions that they seem to think they deserve? No sense having multiple threads on the number one topic (not paying commission) when we can have one comprehensive thread devoted to commission avoidance tactics. Set the people free!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:24 PM

166 posts, read 411,750 times
... tactics for getting out of having to pay Realtors - its no secret .... its called doing it yourself!

I think its ridiculous for a dealership or mechanic to charge exorbitant amount to simply change the plugs or the oil in my car. Or, a contractor to finish my basement for that matter. I'm a very capable person but unless I'm willing to do it myself, I guess then I'm stuck with paying someone to do it!

Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Don't use an agent. Problem solved.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
Don't use an agent...or an attorney. Problem solved, and perhaps one gained. But, you'll always save money on the front end.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:51 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
I sold my own home, our first home, using a flat-fee broker in 2010. The major difficulty in selling a home yourself is reaching a wide audience through the MLS system, which is available only to licensed Realtors. I used a company which agreed to list the property on the MLS for me, provide applicable state disclosure forms, a professional looking yard sign, a toll free number for buyers to call and get property information (which I chose to have directly forwarded to my cell phone) and do absolutely nothing else. They are not a warm and fuzzy company. They don't hold your hand through the process. They do get you on the MLS, as promised, and that is how our buyers found us. I paid $400 up front for this service, unlike the standard relationship whereby the Realtor gets paid at closing.

My home was listed at $379,900, sold for $365,000. It was on the market for about 10 days before we got the offer. Everything went very smoothly. I did pay the buyer's agent a 2.5% commission, and that fact was stated in the listing.

[Mod cut: advertising]

Last edited by elnina; 04-08-2014 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 PM

121 posts, read 165,007 times
Don't list with an agent, avoid contracting with a "buyer's" agent. If you are FSBO include the phrase "principles only" in all of your advertising. If you are buying seek out FSBO listings or listings that indicate a discount to a unrepresented buyer.

If you do want to use an agent for professional services and can find one that has legit credentials to provide them arrange to compensate them with a professional services fee instead of a commission. I think there are legitimate services that some agents can provide and deserve to be compensated for, personally I'm more than willing to use them if we can work out a non-commission compensation arrangement and they provide offer evidence of technical credentials.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
You guys are missing the point. It's not about avoiding Realtors, it's about not paying them.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:15 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
You guys are missing the point. It's not about avoiding Realtors, it's about not paying them.
As someone who works for a living I like to be paid. Not sure what you mean ?

You want to use attorney's, plumbers ect and not pay anyone ?

Old 04-08-2014, 03:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Please tell us what you do for a living so we can ask about avoiding paying you for what you do.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
So far in this forum I've read suggestions on how to get rebates, get listing exceptions, get undeserved referrals, switch agents, cancel listings and several other ways to avoid or reduce commission. Have we missed any good tactics for getting out of having to pay Realtors the exorbitant commissions that they seem to think they deserve? No sense having multiple threads on the number one topic (not paying commission) when we can have one comprehensive thread devoted to commission avoidance tactics. Set the people free!

DIY baby DEE EYE WHY.
Certain things I have absolutely no issue tackling on myself. Somethings I hire someone who knows wtf they are doing. If you feel like you can advertise, show, convince a buyer to buy and then negotiate the price go through the whole broker, lawyer and required paperwork then go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate