Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:32 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Why did you sell? Will you not use those profits to buy another home that costs more than last year ?

This is what I was thinking too.

Invaders? Did you not choose to sell the home? You'll be an invader in a home you just bought as well unless it's a brand new build. Think about that before you want to regarden at your next house.

Why not drive by the house and remember all the good memories about it instead of focusing on the negatives? You made a profit, are going to be in the market for another house in the very near future, and your kid/s are going to the same school.

I'm missing out where the negatives are; there are worse places you could be in life than still having a roof over your family's head, a working vehicle (or two), and $54K in the bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I should mention that I have moved into an apartment so that I can have 3 months to search for another home. So I don't have the pleasure of enjoying my new home yet, and an apartment will never feel close to owning a home.
There is your problem. The excitement of moving into a bigger and better home more than makes up for the loss of the old one, you are being deprived of that but the intermediate apartment situation. Our last move netted about $75k but we moved to a less expensive state and were able to get a home twice the size, half as old, with a lot 2.5 time bigger for the same price as what we got for the old one. Never missed that cramped old place.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM

113 posts, read 136,726 times
My husband passed away suddenly. We were in the house for over 30 years and brought up our 4 children there. We had paid off our mortgage and then refinanced in order to buy a vacation home and renovate the house. He had a great job as a well paid truck driver and my salary was just for extra stuff.

After he passed away I could not pay the mortgage and had to sell. It was a very large home in Brooklyn NY in a great neighborhood. Anyway to make a long story short, my older sons, even though they did not live there anymore, were very traumatized by my selling the house.

I do miss it but not as much as I expected to. I'm living in a smaller home in Staten Island with my special needs daughter and life is much easier. My sons? still drive by the old house and miss it. I did get a very large profit...enough to pay for my home now without a mortgage.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:09 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
There are houses and there are homes.
We all have had homes of great memories of our childhood or raising our kids

I still drive by the home I had when I was a 10 year old.
My 1st marriage house we planted a tree when my 35 year old son was born.
That tree is 50 feet tall today and will be around for another 50 years.

Great memories make great homes.

They are much more than just a house. We agents need to keep that in mind when we help sell a house.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGirl1002 View Post
Anyway to make a long story short, my older sons, even though they did not live there anymore, were very traumatized by my selling the house.

I do miss it but not as much as I expected to. I'm living in a smaller home in Staten Island with my special needs daughter and life is much easier. My sons? still drive by the old house and miss it. I did get a very large profit...enough to pay for my home now without a mortgage.
Tell your older sons to get over it. They could have bought the house. You should not be carrying the guilt for selling it.

To the OP, you'll make better memories down the road in a better house. God never slams a door in your face without opening a window.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:53 AM

87 posts, read 114,490 times
Um...not to be mean here or anything, but don't you think you should have had a little bit of foresight? Who on earth sells their home (for the paltry amount of 54K no less) when they do not have another home immediately lined up? I do recommend that you seek therapy services, if this "house flipping" activity is a habit of yours. You didn't mention any other family besides your son, so maybe this situation could have been a lot worse with a family of 4 or something, but still, get your head together.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post
Um...not to be mean here or anything, but don't you think you should have had a little bit of foresight? Who on earth sells their home (for the paltry amount of 54K no less) when they do not have another home immediately lined up? I do recommend that you seek therapy services, if this "house flipping" activity is a habit of yours. You didn't mention any other family besides your son, so maybe this situation could have been a lot worse with a family of 4 or something, but still, get your head together.

What makes you think they sold it for 54k?

There is nothing odd about selling a house before the close on another house goes through.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Maybe this should be in the Mental health section, but my house closed yesterday...I am 54K richer..yeah...I guess. Does anybody feel this is more like somewhat of a Divorce than I happy moment. Buying a home is stressful, but selling one is sad to me. Can't seem to find anybody who understands this. Im so bad, I have to drive my son to school past the house I just closed but I chose to go a half a mile out of the way just so I would not have to see the cars in my driveway. Its killing me that these invaders are in my home...legally.
-Steve
Nothing wrong with a little grief. Once you settle into your new place, know that you will make new happy memories there.

Then choose to drive by the old place and recall the happy memories there, as if it were a closed chapter on a wonderful book called "Life."

Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post
I did not sell for 54K, I made 54K after fees. Kind of a joke though. Its not as if I get to keep it if I want to buy another house and keep the payment under control. All of the other homes went up as well. Sorry you misread my OP. I will try and write more clearly next time.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:48 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,264,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are houses and there are homes.
We all have had homes of great memories of our childhood or raising our kids

I still drive by the home I had when I was a 10 year old.
My 1st marriage house we planted a tree when my 35 year old son was born.
That tree is 50 feet tall today and will be around for another 50 years.

Great memories make great homes.

They are much more than just a house. We agents need to keep that in mind when we help sell a house.
I think my brain said "sell this "house" so you can get something a little more fitting for my family" but my heart is remembering the great times we spent here. You are very correct. My agent did a good job, he took great pictures, did some great marketing and sold it for 13K more than 2 other agents suggested. It sold in 1 day. I had to move into an apartment because my son is still in school and I wanted him to finish up. Most homes sell on average in Phoenix in 50-60 days or so. Selling in one day was awesome, but in truth It was extremely overwhelming as well. One reason I felt the need to move was my AC was 16 years old. In my area, that usually means you are about to shell out money for another AC (or die of heat stroke). New AC can run 5K each. Brain Vs Heart. The brain usually wins but the heart gets revenge later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate